Afraid of playing KOTOR2

I've always been a big fan of Blackisle studio games. There is no doubt in my mind, that when I think of the best game ever created, it was Planescape: Torment. If a Blizzard game and an Obsidian game came out, I would not hesitant to pick up the Obsidian game if I could only pick one.

That being said, I picked up KOTOR2 the first day it came out for PC. Due to work, I haven't gotten around to playing it... and I visit a lot of blogs and other reviews sites that said KOTOR2's ending was a complete let-down / mess. That brings me a sense of dread and horror, I don't want to spend hours and hours investing myself into KOTOR2 only to be ruined by a horrible ending.

I have so much respect and fan-boyism for Obsidian that I'm rather afraid of playing KOTOR2 too far just to see it mess up... I've played it for about 10 hours, and it has crashed on me five times. That I don't mind... but the story, the story HAS to be good... that's all that ever mattered.

All of my friends value my judgement on games, yet now I'm extremely hesistant to recommend this to my friends... Not sure what to do. They've came thru before with Icewind Dale's add-on patch where they added content... will they do the same? sigh...

Imo is really a great game, i prefer TSL to KOTOR1 for example.

The ending is not so bad, there are missing things, many missing things, but the main plot is safe as i see it.

Also is a game you have not to rush, the plot and the main characters are very complex and if you miss important dialogues you will start a chain of WTF? :(

for the crashes

i experimented some too, but not many, just 2-3 in hours and hours of playng, and i'm also using an ATI card that seem to have more troubles than NVIDIA witht his game... so my advice is to try to upgrade your drivers, it should fix your problems >_<

There's nothing wrong with what ending there is -- just what ending there isn't. Lots of scenes got cut (there's a thread on it somewhere; a lot of the material can actually be found lurking around the installed files), so it ends on a rather odd and mysterious note with it not at all obvious what's really happened.

It's very well worth playing though and definitely better than KOTOR1, which had some fantastic moments but the story, whilst very good, was comparatively simplistic and had some seriously irritating bits.

As it stands it's a flawed classic rather than the masterpiece it could have been if they'd had time to polish it and finish up the ending as it appears to have been intended :rolleyes:

There was nothing wrong with the ending for me... everthing that i was doing made sense... and i was left at a cliffhanger...

I got the same effect as after i have read a good book that is planned to have a sequel.

Maybe im just really easy going but i doubt it... if your a fan of this genre and like stories i have NO DOUBT that you will enjoy this game.

I'm 20 hrs into the game, and although also a bit worried about the ending (which might or not might not be as bad as how it's hyped as the worst ending of all time :rolleyes: ), I'm enjoying this tremendously. The few bugs that I've encountered so far have proven unable to detract me from the fun I've been having. Heck, if it continued at this pace, it might have potentially dethroned PST as my fav CRPG (and before this, no other CRPG would have even come close). We'll see.

Despite the naysayers, I'd say Chris Avellone has proven to me that PST wasn't just luck. I will virtually blindly purchase anything he has a hand in from here on >_<

Congratulations, Obsidiant. You are currently my favorite dev team.

Yes, KOTOR1 had high production values and more time for polish. Certainly doesn't make it any more enjoyable. It was fun, but KOTOR2 is destroying it in every way that MATTERS so far for me.

KOTOR1 ending spoilers:

As for the ending of KOTOR2, I find it strange that it's criticized so anyway, given how KOTOR1's ending (lightside, at least) was basically a 1 min scene where you see your party members standing and doing nothing as someone gives a speech. That wasn't particularly satisfying.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"As for the ending of KOTOR2, I find it strange that it's criticized so anyway, given how KOTOR1's ending (lightside, at least) was basically a 1 min scene where you see your party members standing and doing nothing as someone gives a speech. That wasn't particularly satisfying."

Um... Sounds like KOTOR2's ending. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Then what's this hypocrisy with people hailing KOTOR1 as having no flaws then dissing KOTOR2's ending?

Don't know. That comes of course down to personal taste, but I never felt KOTOR2 was "unfinished" or so. Maybe a bit unbalanced (combat), but from a roleplaying standpoint and the spiritual values of what makes Star Wars so great, KOTOR2's definitely the winner.

The only thing that pissed me off in KOTOR2 was the choppy framerate on Dantoinne, but oh my, that's fixable.

The ending is a major disappointment but I'd still recommend playing the game for the first 75% of it as it is intriguing and almost to the level of K1. I'd even have played it given all the negative feedback about the ending because, after all, there is no other game like it. I suspect LA knows this and in fact counts on people like me. Yes, K1 had a trite ending. The first time I played K1 I was worried that the Mandalorian or the assassin droid were suddenly going to turn on me at the end so I stripped all the characters of clothes before the ending. Everybody was clapping and cheering to the team in its underwear! Hah!

"And no spoiling KOTOR2's ending in this thread!"

What spoilers?

"Then what's this hypocrisy with people hailing KOTOR1 as having no flaws then dissing KOTOR2's ending?"

What hypocrisy? Perhaps, people don't see what you (or I) think of as KOTOR1 flaws as flaws. Perish the thought.

Then again, you like Peragus Station. No accounting for taste it seems. :-" o:):lol:

Stick with telos, and Nard Sharr. They are the awesome.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Then what's this hypocrisy with people hailing KOTOR1 as having no flaws then dissing KOTOR2's ending?

And no spoiling KOTOR2's ending in this thread!

There's some confusing scenarios playing out at the ending level that makes one scratch his head. And after reading about what was cut from the ending, the confusion turns into anger over the potential wasted for christmas sales.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Meshugger: I finished Kotor 2 and i felt a little unsatisfied...im curious as to what 'has been cut out from the ending' that you mentioned...any links? I didnt really get what was going on in the last few events of the game.

Thanks in advance.

Here you go.

Scroll down to Highpriest post in order read it in a more user-friendly format.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Recommend it only if you recommend to DONT FINISH the game too..

Say to your friends to play it and stop when the end plot starts (I recommend to kill yourself and delete all Saved Games before Jedi Enclave), and will be the BEST RPG you played..

But if u continue after that... will be the WORST.

The ending is a major disappointment but I'd still recommend playing the game for the first 75% of it as it is intriguing and almost to the level of K1.  I'd even have played it given all the negative feedback about the ending because, after all, there is no other game like it.  I suspect LA knows this and in fact counts on people like me.  Yes, K1 had a trite ending.  The first time I played K1 I was worried that the Mandalorian or the assassin droid were suddenly going to turn on me at the end so I stripped all the characters of clothes before the ending.  Everybody was clapping and cheering to the team in its underwear! Hah!

LOL!! Hehe, now that was funny, and I understand your reasons perfectly.. hehe, but seriously, it is great to have a game, where you actually think that such things might happen and prepare for them (though in a very meta-gaming kind of way there, heh). I will admit, I didn't give Goto any equipment or levelled him up in KoTOR II, because of the same thinking. Goes for Mandalore too, though I couldn't bear it not to develop HK-47. Too bad that nothing happened though. As for Carth and HK_47 standing in their 'underwear' at the end.. hehe, I am still laughing :-