I liked the ending!

Kreia always had a difficult time reading Dao's thoughts. Dao isn't even on the planet. He was still on the Ebon Hawk when he gave Remote the responsibilty to blow up the planet..

He's a projected hologram. Presumably programmed to trigger when a certain set of circumstances arrise. Had he been alive and on the hawk It's very unlikely he would leave such an important mission to a remote.

Unless they stayed on Telos then everyone is on the hawk and it's on the planet.

Whats missing is some sort of explanation of how you get from Telos to MV and what happens to your companions. Whether they stay on Telos or whether they travel with you.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Welll.. somehow Remote, Goto, and Mira at the minimum got to Malichor V.

I'd say Bao sent Remote 'cause perhaps he doens't want tos et foot on Malichor V ever again. Remember, he took part in that war as well so I doubt he'd be too happy facing those dmeons yet again.

Of course, it is possible you ar eright and he did die; but I wouldn't count on it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Still...these are all (IMO) minor issues. It seemed apparent to me from the crash that the other crew members were probably injured; perhaps the Exile was ejected and found himself alone. A little better explanation would be nice, but again, clearly not a gamebreaker. Even a couple of lines of dialogue would address that; this is something that would be very easily patchable.

For me the disappointment has nothing to do with the story, which I thought was quite good. It's just that the whole game is so EASY that there are no challenges at all from the moment you receive your lightsaber. That, however, is also patchable.

The ending was like the rest of the game - a mixed bag. The writing was sometimes good; sometimes poor. It didn't flow really well. I mean what was the point of forcing us to play the droid ball or Mira on the final planet other than to extend gameplay for an extra 5 minutes? R00fles!

You need the droidball for the blow MV to bits ending.

Mira , no idea why she crops up. Perhaps they planned on giving you a companion for the end game or something.

Or maybe to tie up the loose end about Kreia reviving the wookie and asking him to hunt her down. Afterall, she wasn't too happy about the exile having so many companions.

I agree with Falconburst. End of transmission. I posted a similar post on the Obsidian vs Bioware thread a few pages earlier.

The crux is we have to view (as the developers viewed) the Kotor series as akin to the original SW episodes 4, 5 and 6. In ANH, we get the happy Yavin 4 celebration - similar to the prodigal knight award in K1. We should just view K2 as the Millennium Falcon in TESB. No ending, but anticipation that K3 will deliver a ROTJ.

I believe that a K3 where the setting is in the same known galaxy would be unnecessary given that we know the Lost Jedi woul form the foundation of the new Jedi generation.

Therefore, it would be more fruitful to expand K3 to where Revan and/or the Exile travels with other warriors to the Unknown Regions to counter the True Sith. Does anyone still recall from K1 Korriban, where the Sith mentioned how the Sith'ari or Perfect True Sith would return? K3 may do well to expand on that.

In the SW universe then for possible K3 effects, they would have two approaches. One, Revan/Exile succeeded in eliminating the True Sith threat, but at cost of their own lives, and since they were in the Unknown, the rest of the SW Universe as we know it haven't a clue what happened to them - myth and legend ending. Or two, we do know what happens, and the rest of the SW Universe (aka comics, novels etc) would just have to be adjusted to fit in the ending.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

HC

It would be best if KOTOR 3 featured another PC doing something on the Revan-Exile storyline, rather than playing those two uber- characters from the start. I'm into RPGs all my life, it's not that fun playing epic characters from the start, even if the story is compelling. I found the normal difficulty, acceptable, I just want to have a good time., not throw my head on the sceen in frustration cause of repeated losses. There were enough challenges, especially when my jedi character was absent, so that's ok by me. The story was nice up to darth nihilus at least. And no I didn't like the ending at all. I didn't like KOTOR 1 LightSide ending either but I take it back now. If I had known KOTOR 2 would have such an ending, I'd be more than glad if they just replayed KOTOR 1's ending. My complain about K1's ending was that I didn't get to intreact with characters from my party in the ending sequence and the only romance option was Bastila, nice but just one. When Kreia speaks about your friends' future, even some sequences for each character (depending on how you interacted with him in the game) would be better than just saying one sentence for each and off we go... I even defeated Kreia 3-4 times after I saw the ending because I thought I said something wrong to her or missed something in the dialog that would trigger other sequences. And then I came to the horrible realization that this WAS in fact the ending of a good story. And it does no justice to the story. I can't really understand why some people actually liked the ending. The best KOTOR ending there is up to date, is KOTOR 1's dark side ending. KOTOR 1's LS ending was well.. mediocre in my opinion, but nothing compares to K2's ending. BG2 : The throne of Baal and NWN:HoTC HAD what in my opinion is a fair, if not very good ending. The best ending I've seen so far in a game though is Final Fantasy VIII. That game was touching till the very end, the ending sequences lasted more that 40 seconds and it was very fulfilling. This game was in my "buy-no-matter-what" list, cause I thought that, if K1 was so nice, even with an ending I didn't like that much, maybe K2 would correct all that. Don't get me wrong, I really liked KOTOR2. Until the very end I really liked it, even with all the bugs and stuff. The romance options and interactions were nice. Until the end, I thought that I'd meet Darth Nihilus somewhere and explore his character (cause of the way he vanishes in the end, maybe he is more that he looks, etc etc and isn't really dead, is all powerful, etc etc). When I saw Mira's fight and the droid's adventure, I thought that all my NPCs will have similar encounters and end up with me for, or after, the final confrontation. When the credits appear out of nowhere, I thought "It can't be, I'm missing something". When I replayed the battle over and over only to have them appear again and the only sign of my NPCs were Kreia's foretelling, it really, really sucked. And I don't think I'll stop complaining about this major letdown, until a huge patch is out, an excellent mod is out, or K3 lives up to my expectations. Until then, the game had the potential to be so much more, and someone killed it mercilessly at the ending. There are ruthless Sith lords all right, but they are outside, publishing the game...

Look, it's everyone for themselves. I can understand why people may not like K2's ending even if I do not agree with them.

You just have to view things in perspective. In making such an ending, I believe Obsidian to be extremely innovative...and brave. I do not doubt that they wouldn't have foreseen what players reactions would've been (perhaps a reason why they left the alternative ending dialogue in the files), but the fact that they went ahead with it meant something.

Perhaps, the developers, like the few of us, actually believed this ending to be more suitable in its artful, melodramatic setting.

HC

melodramatic ending? What exactly happened that was melodramatic? I'd like someone to explain this to me. Because what I got from the ending was that character development was ignored and so much foreshadowing done in the first part of the game never came to fruition.

an ending however clifhanger it may be had some closure to it, it could be dialogue or cutscene but always a closure..

in this game, the devs may have intended to use the influence system to affect what kind of ending you have, but what I saw was different, at the ending I was given a cliffhanger and that is generally not bad, but it left one thing among others unexplained, where did all that influence went?? just disappeared?? It's kinda weird seeing this is one of this game's best advertised feature.. turns out it has no bearing in the game... its not even like icing on a cake, at least you can taste the icing when you eat the cake..

Cliffhanger? Doesn't that need a cliff and maybe someone hanging off of it????

I played light side, and it was great, (crazy bugs aside), until Nihilus. Oh, and when I returned to Dantoine Academy 15 minutes later to find it all rebuilt, that was a definite what the hell moment, but at least not as bad as all the others that followed.

No one even said Nihilus up until that point and then suddenly, "Let's kill Nihilus!". Same thing with the Ravager.

Oh, we have the embattled guard from both Onderon and Dantooine suddenly on Telos? Thats nice. Mandalore leaves for about 3 minutes and comes back from Dxun with a squad of soldiers? That's nice too.....

What happened to Atris???? I spared her, but unless it was a bug, we don't even know if she's killed by the holocron thingies, what that hissing they're donig is, ANYTHING!

They completely wasted Nihilus. I mean, there was no point. None at all..... He's this massively powerful world-devouring entity. He attacks with fighter ships..... He makes a gurgling noise at me. I kill him. That really doesn't do a lot for me. Why were those sith there at Malachor in the original battle? What even happened there? What's that connection?

Why was Mira just standing around in the middle of nowhere, and why was the wookie sent after her for no real reason by Kreia?

How did the Ebon Hawk have gaping holes in it, fall into a chasm, and then suddenly pop up good as new????

Answering these things would not take away a cliffhanger ending. A HL2 type ending would have been fine. They should just make complete what they do tell us..........

Oh, and were there any references earlier than the end to the true sith? Is there some mystery empire in the same galaxy that no one ever runs into somehow? It looks like the Republic covers most of the galaxy. That doesn't make any sense really...... I'd thought that Nihilus was going to be a "true" sith, but apparently not. He's just there to make gurgling noises.......... Gah..............

Cliffhanger?  Doesn't that  need a cliff and maybe someone hanging off of it????

I played light side, and it was great, (crazy bugs aside), until Nihilus.  Oh, and when I returned to Dantoine Academy 15 minutes later to find it all rebuilt, that was a definite what the hell moment, but at least not as bad as all the others that followed. 

No one even said Nihilus up until that point and then suddenly, "Let's kill Nihilus!".  Same thing with the Ravager.

Oh, we have the embattled guard from both Onderon and Dantooine suddenly on Telos?  Thats nice.  Mandalore leaves for about 3 minutes and comes back from Dxun with a squad of soldiers?  That's nice too.....

What happened to Atris????  I spared her, but unless it was a bug, we don't even know if she's killed by the holocron thingies, what that hissing they're donig is, ANYTHING!

They completely wasted Nihilus.  I mean, there was no point.  None at all.....  He's this massively powerful world-devouring entity.  He attacks with fighter ships.....  He makes a gurgling noise at me.  I kill him.  That really doesn't do a lot for me.  Why were those sith there at Malachor in the original battle?  What even happened there?  What's that connection?

Why was Mira just standing around in the middle of nowhere, and why was the wookie sent after her for no real reason by Kreia?

How did the Ebon Hawk have gaping holes in it, fall into a chasm, and then suddenly pop up good as new????

Answering these things would not take away a cliffhanger ending.  A HL2 type ending would have been fine.  They should just make complete what they do tell us..........

Oh, and were there any references earlier than the end to the true sith?  Is there some mystery empire in the same galaxy that no one ever runs into somehow?  It looks like the Republic covers most of the galaxy.  That doesn't make any sense really......  I'd thought that Nihilus was going to be a "true" sith, but apparently not.  He's just there to make gurgling noises..........  Gah..............

I totally agree, that's why the ending was screwed up, not to mention that you probably deserve to hear what your characters have to say about what happened at the end (or at least know how the hell they ended up on/survived Malchor V)?

I totally agree with Naso's comment about the HL2 ending. HL2 had a cliffhanger as well and a lot of people whined about that ending too, although I was one of them who actually thought it was alright, provided they explained what happened in the third. KOTOR 2 suffers from the same problem except you'd expect some more interaction with your party members, I mean after all, this is an RPG, not a First-Person Shooter! Not only that, in HL2 everything made sense - you just got the feeling that Valve knew what they were doing with the ending. All the way to the end there was explanations of why you were doing this, why you were doing that.

In KOTOR2 it's confusing right after the Telos academy to be precise. I mean the first sign of me wondering WTF was going on is that there were no cutscenes or anything and you suddenly ended up somewhere on Citadel station with Atton.

Why is Atton with you?

What happened to the rest of your party members?

Where's the Ebon Hawk?

True you can surmise what actually happened and fill the gaps in your head but you've already lost some continuity that would usually be filled in if you were playing earlier parts of the game.

After that you must kill Nihilius! Erm... pkay. Where did Mandalore come from with all his Mandalorians? They got here pretty quick meaning they must've been prepared beforehand - however Mandalore never told you he'd been secretly preparing his men to attack the Raveger and bring it down with explosives... then again, how did Mandalore know that was going to happen anyway? Maybe Mandalore is a Jedi? You see, now the ridiculous questions start to crop up since things just don't make sense. At least they could've tried to explain!

The ending with Mira somehow not on the ship with the others (or is there anyone else on the ship?) plus the fact you never find out what happens to the rest of your party members (considering they're a CRUCIAL part for the Light Side storyline - i.e. ethical dilemmas concerning 'friends and allies') makes the ending feel a bit empty.

Sure make it a cliffhanger, but at least tell what happens to your party members in the present. Some reward for gaining influence with your party members couldn't go astray either!

There were little things, but until they jedi reunion the content was so good it was easy to ignore, but the whole MSG intro scene really made me want to find out what was up with him. I'd thought he looked just stupid before I got the game, but it made me interested despite that, and then it came to nothing........... ;)

It's not about the ending of the game, really. The game has an end, it has a finale. But that's all it has at the end, a finale. There are a dozen loose ends and non-sequiturs left flapping, and these are not the kind of things that you leave out of a computer game!

The Ebon Hawk - the disappearance of your companions - look at it this way, would you have been happy if, in Empire Strikes Back, the last you saw of the cast (besides Luke) was them being captured, and Leia dragged off by stormtroopers yelling 'it's a trap!'... and then the Falcon simply appears at the end to pick Luke up, and flies off - and the movie ends? That is not a complete movie!

I agree with Falconburst. End of transmission. I posted a similar post on the Obsidian vs Bioware thread a few pages earlier.

The crux is we have to view (as the developers viewed) the Kotor series as akin to the original SW episodes 4, 5 and 6. In ANH, we get the happy Yavin 4 celebration - similar to the prodigal knight award in K1. We should just view K2 as the Millennium Falcon in TESB. No ending, but anticipation that K3 will deliver a ROTJ.

Wouldn't have minded if it was a cliffhanger ending as opposed to an abrupt cut off.

I believe that a K3 where the setting is in the same known galaxy would be unnecessary given that we know the Lost Jedi woul form the foundation of the new Jedi generation.

Therefore, it would be more fruitful to expand K3 to where Revan and/or the Exile travels with other warriors to the Unknown Regions to counter the True Sith. Does anyone still recall from K1 Korriban, where the Sith mentioned how the Sith'ari or Perfect True Sith would return? K3 may do well to expand on that.

They're obviously going to go into the Sith'Ari stuff... and I'm of a mind to think it's the Exile.

I mean "The Force will free me" being the last line of the Sith code kind of gives this away. What if the (kotOR) Sith were misinterepting it to mean the Force would let them do what they wanted? What it could really mean The Exile has been freed from the Force's will and now has "perfect destiny, perfect strength, perfect power" as Yuthura said. I mean, the Sith'Ari is clearly a "true sith" prophesy, and is about the True Sith being led by the Sith'Ari.

Also "He will destroy us, but also make us stronger than ever"... Revan and/or the Exile will destroy/conquer and rule this threat in KotOR3.

or maybe it's referring to the Exile's "siphon" ability. Though others gain strength from him, he also 'destroys "them" ' and makes them into puppets for his will... kinda... I don't know, I'm just rambling.

In the SW universe then for possible K3 effects, they would have two approaches. One, Revan/Exile succeeded in eliminating the True Sith threat, but at cost of their own lives, and since they were in the Unknown, the rest of the SW Universe as we know it haven't a clue what happened to them - myth and legend ending. Or two, we do know what happens, and the rest of the SW Universe (aka comics, novels etc) would just have to be adjusted to fit in the ending.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

HC

I think it'll be something to do with the Sith Order that'll eventually become the rulers of the galaxy (led by either the Exile or Revan, or conquered by them or whatever), that the Jedi eventually overthrow in 1000bby... I mean, we all know GL has overritten the established Darth Bane/Eu mythology right? (He said that the sith want revenge because the Jedi overthrew them as rulers of the galaxy 1,000 years ago). Which is no-doubt why we have the "Darth" title cropping up 3,000 years early.

I didn't understand how I could even do a mission with "Remote"...shortly after getting Go-To as a party member there was a cut scene on the Ebon Hawk where you see him/it destroying remote. So how could he be there at Malachor V if destroyed? (Or did I miss something?)

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

I didn't understand how I could even do a mission with "Remote"...shortly after getting Go-To as a party member there was a cut scene on the Ebon Hawk where you see him/it destroying remote.  So how could he be there at Malachor V if destroyed?  (Or did I miss something?)

GOTO ionised the remote (its a graphic glitch that it slides into the floor and looks destroyed).

Then he reprograms it which fits in with what happens at the end and also how he knows about the remote in such detail when he asks Bao for upgrades.

Your supposed to be able to blow the planet up but it requires something. Possibly some event that will trigger Bao realising the remote has been reprogrammed and countering it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm really unclear about G0-T0 "killing" the remote thing. Since right after the cut scene I found the remote floating around again.

But I actually really liked that "Remote solo-mission" at the end. I think Bao-Dur's little speech (which I think is a visualization of Bao-Dur's order to the Remote in its own perspective) showed a little of the "human"-side of Bao-Dur (not that he's Homo Sapiens per se).