I liked the ending!

Just finished the PC version...

But the ending was much better than people had been saying. Not a letdown at all for me. It did seem to tie up many loose ends with Kreia's future foresight. And I preferred that more upbeat ending to a dark ending where companions die.

Were there some incomplete points explaining why the Exile is without his companions at the end? Yes. Were the final bosses weak? Yes. Could it have used a little more work? Probably.

I thought it was really quite good. Not perfect, certainly, but pretty darn good. There were a lot of cutscenes, a lot of dialogue, a lot of explaining. Maybe more could have been explained at a couple points, but the game was hardly the gaping unfinished product that some had made it out to be. I felt that it compares very favorably with most other RPGs on the market, in fact, it is probably the best one out now IMO.

The residual issues, like weak bosses and some minor incomplete dialogues (better explanation for why the exile is alone at the end, and introducing Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion), could be fixed fairly simply with a patch. Yes, the game could probably benefit from a patch, but the same is true for most games. I can think of only a handful of games I have that have NOT had a major patch (like the Rise of Nations expansion). I don't consider KOTOR2's unresolved issues to be game-breakers, however.

Overall, I think Obsidian did a very nice job. There are so many things they did that make KOTOR2 even better than KOTOR. To name a very few, they made skills necessary and significant instead of meaningless and peripheral. They elevated INT from a meaningless stat to a crucial one. They expanded the workbench/upgrade features that I loved in the first game. They developed the NPCs well and, while there weren't NPC "sidequests," every NPC was deeply involved in the game plot. I really liked the parts where you take control of different NPCs -- the Dxun assault, T3's adventure, Handmaiden, etc. It added a lot to the game IMO and gave some of the feel of the movies even more than KOTOR. I liked the influence system. The classes were well-thought out. The new feats and force powers were great, as were the new items, even though I never found a Universal-D implant :ermm:. The plot was detailed, well-conceived, and engrossing. There was more to explore and more to do than in KOTOR. No, I don't entertain delusions of perfection, but I think Obsidian did a very nice job overall in filling a tough bill. My biggest complaint is not the ending, but that the game is too easy. Still, that can easily be fixed by modders, like the hardcore patch for KOTOR.

And I am definitely excited to see Obsidian make KOTORIII. I think they will do a good job.

I dunno. The ending isn't bad, just sloppy.

Where are your companions during the end?

What happened to Bao-Dur? Why does he have to tell the remote what to do through hologram?

Where did the MSG come from??? It came out of nowhere.

After fighting Hanharr, Mira heads toward the temple and that's it. No more about here except that she eventually dies... Gee thanks Kreia, I would've never thought she would eventually die.

What happened with G0-T0 and the remote? Good thing G0-T0 went to all the trouble of threatening the remote since he didn't do anything in the end.

What about the Handmaiden?

I like how there is all this talk about how your allies are so important and they all abandon you in the end!

I have no problem with them leaving the ending open, it just didn't explain any of the little things well enough. They spent so much time settign it up and nothing really happened at the end.

Yea, most people who complain that the ending doesn't resolve most things simply didn't find the explanations in game or aren't willing to think things through themselves. I can only think of one thing that wasn't explained or had a logical conclusion that didn't need to be explained, because it was logical (and this is Mira following you, and somehow getting back to the ship? That part doesn't make sense, though maybe she ran from those jedi who bowed and let you enter. But that's hoaky)

My complaints were never about that. My complaints were that the ending we found vestigial traces of was much more powerful and I found it immensly more interesting. I so love tragic endings and suffering.

Was the ending even tragic? It wasn't tragic or happy, that's the problem. I didn't really feel satisfied with the ending, no emotion. I'm not too eager to know what happens next because the ending was so vague. It's not that I didn't think about the connections, I did and finally understood them. It's that these connections were not even built up, they weren't even discussed. They were just assumed to have been understood automatically.

Those "vestigal traces" are exactly what we're talking about not being resolved. Those traces resolve some of the loose threads. It's like King Lear walking onto the stage alone in Act V and telling the audience what happened to everyone else in the play.

I was all ready to forgive the game, until they went into the cinematic sequence, them drifting off into space and i was like, "what the hell? who's driving the ebon hawk? Kreia just died when i say 'you can die now'? and what happened to my precious droids? what's this about atris being destroyed? OVERLOAD OVERLOAD!!!!"

I wonder if obsidian could delete my memory core for me, so that way I could come back like T3-M4.... absolutley oblivious to what happened in between, but the ability to figure out that stuff later on :ph34r:

Honestly the part where Kreia tells you about the future of the characters wasn't needed. What needed to happen was all your allies should've had a fullfilling part in the end. Then they could've left loose ends. The ending had no effect, no weight. It wasn't happy or tragic. It was nothing. It was as if Obsidian spent all this time setting everything up then abruptly decided that they needed to end this, added some things in the end to help it come to a close quickly, important plot devices appear out of nowhere, character storylines are dropped, and you are left with a bit of dialouge as the ending.

The thing is... The Exile's story is just complete enough (you can learn most all your history, you can get to atrocious levels of power, you can fight the big bad) that it'd be lame to continue the story for a whole new game. And it's just unfinished enough (no closure with companions, not all of the story very well explained) that it's frustrating.

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers

The issue with the ending is not one of 'kind' but one of 'degree of execution'.

Seeing how the game unfolds, precisely this 'kind' of ending is what one expects; in that sense it truly is great.

On the other hand, that ending-concept is only poorly executed. Before I saw on these boards the thread about the cut endings, I was totally lost what happened to Mira, the Ebon Hawk, the remote-Goto encounter, the other party members; I still don't know what to make of that odd Nihilus confrontation. Nevertheless, I had 'liked' the game, and the ending too.

As I said, the problem pertains to how a great ending idea ended up being squandered.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

The big mistake with the ending was having it as part of the battle. It just dosnt feel like a closing scene at all. Why they didnt put all those elements into a cinematic is a mystery (time/money comes to mind) but it just felt totally anticlimactic after what was a pretty epic adventure.

Granted Sqenix spoil you rotten when it comes to the endings but even so I expected more than a ship flying off into the "sunset".

KOTOR II was much better than KOTOR although it really showed up the weakness of the ruleset too. In KOTOR you dont get the big powers till late on. In KOTOR II you have them on your first real planet and the FP's to use them pretty much non stop.

I quit playing a consular because it turned into walk forward a bit shoot top force lightning , walk forward a bit more, repeat.

The last 1/4 of the game had many similarities to LionHeart..

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The ending was like the rest of the game - a mixed bag. The writing was sometimes good; sometimes poor. It didn't flow really well. I mean what was the point of forcing us to play the droid ball or Mira on the final planet other than to extend gameplay for an extra 5 minutes? R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I reckon in KOTOR III, you play as a Revan returning to the galaxy, only to find it changed, with the Exiles actions creating ripples through the Force even now, and only the loyal HK-47 to fill you in on what happened while you were away, and to explain why you have to start at Level 1 again, Revan went out of the Galaxy completly, where the Force does not even exist, and so lost his force connection for a while. Or possibly the Exile Searching for Revan outside the galaxy? That would explain some things.

Strike me down if you wish, but i will become more powerfull than even I could possibly imagine.

I reckon in KOTOR III, you play as a Revan returning to the galaxy, only to find it changed, with the Exiles actions creating ripples through the Force even now, and only the loyal HK-47 to fill you in on what happened while you were away, and to explain why you have to start at Level 1 again, Revan went out of the Galaxy completly, where the Force does not even exist, and so lost his force connection for a while. Or possibly the Exile Searching for Revan outside the galaxy? That would explain some things.

The force exists in all life.

What would be funny is if Revan and the Exile came back leading the old Sith. They would make pretty good villains and you have the bonus of having them already fleshed out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The ending was like the rest of the game - a mixed bag. The writing was sometimes good; sometimes poor. It didn't flow really well. I mean what was the point of forcing us to play the droid ball or Mira on the final planet other than to extend gameplay for an extra 5 minutes? R00fles!

You need the droidball for the blow MV to bits ending.

Mira , no idea why she crops up. Perhaps they planned on giving you a companion for the end game or something.

478327[/snapback]

"You need the droidball for the blow MV to bits ending."

Of course. That coula been done with a quick cut scene instea dof focing you to play the 'start up the 4 computers' game. That was boring.

Mira was a tad better as at least you got to have some real interatcion, and of course the battle with her was at least semi challenging since she was like level 13 (leveled her up though) with pretty crappy equipment. Still beat him relatively easy with literal use of healing... <> Still, not needed and felt disjointed. If they wnated you to be sperated from your paryty members; they should have it made so all the way. Plus, there's the fact there is no logical reason why your fellow party memmbers wouldnt have come with you into the last journey...

"You need the droidball for the blow MV to bits ending."

Of course. That coula been done with a quick cut scene instea dof focing you to play the 'start up the 4 computers' game. That was boring.

Mira was a tad better as at least you got to have some real interatcion, and of course the battle with her was at least semi challenging since she was like level 13 (leveled her up though) with pretty crappy equipment. Still beat him relatively easy with literal use of healing... <> Still, not needed and felt disjointed. If they wnated you to be sperated from your paryty members; they should have it made so all the way. Plus, there's the fact there is no logical reason why your fellow party memmbers wouldnt have come with you into the last journey...

Depends on how well you cleaned out the storm beasts. If you didnt clean them out then the droid bit was far from easy.

Mira was another one with that giveaway Jedi vibe so she just smacked him into the wall repeatedly with force wave.

I was expecting your love interest to come along for the final showdown. But I expect most of the others would have been occupied by either keeping the ship from falling to it's doom or been killed. Seems likely that Bao Dur was killed given how the orders were given and that Kreia couldnt see a future for him.

478327[/snapback]

"Depends on how well you cleaned out the storm beasts. If you didnt clean them out then the droid bit was far from easy."

Heh. i did. I would think if you didn't kill the beasts and one was in the way you have ZERO chance against them with the little guy. LOL He is level 1 with no items. :D

He does move quickly.. a little too quick.

"Mira was another one with that giveaway Jedi vibe so she just smacked him into the wall repeatedly with force wave."

She wasn't for me. I just shot him with guns and healed when i got to half hps.

"I was expecting your love interest to come along for the final showdown. But I expect most of the others would have been occupied by either keeping the ship from falling to it's doom or been killed. Seems likely that Bao Dur was killed given how the orders were given and that Kreia couldnt see a future for him."

Um... Accoridng to Kreia none of them died... They all lived rather 'Happy Happy' lives.

Heh. i did. I would think if you didn't kill the beasts and one was in the way you have ZERO chance against them with the little guy. LOL He is level 1 with no items.  :D

He does move quickly.. a little too quick.

Um... Accoridng to Kreia none of them died... They all lived rather 'Happy Happy' lives.

It's doable but takes some timing and a little bit of luck. I just stealth ran the storm beasts (except for the big one) didnt really need any more levels by then. Which made the remote part interesting :lol:

When I asked her she said she couldnt see him. Which kinda implies he dosnt have a future.

478327[/snapback]

Kreia always had a difficult time reading Dao's thoughts. Dao isn't even on the planet. He was still on the Ebon Hawk when he gave Remote the responsibilty to blow up the planet..

An ending that would have made a little more sense (modifying the wtf ending thats in there now) would be to some how present the that exile must go to malacor alone (driods only). Then just cut the useless mira hanharr fight. That would fall more inline with what they have left use rather than the leftovers they never bothered to clean up.