Are movies fuzzy for the rest of you too?

Yeah, the movies are of extremely poor quality for me. Worse than Planescape : Torment, I'd dare to say.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

If I am getting the right idea from your post, I would have to say that mine are the same quality (i.e. 'fuzzy'). They certainly are not the crisp, high-quality movies that I'd have expected. Whether this is an issue or by design, I cannot say. :-

By design.

The movies are native 640x480 resolution and can't be resized. They are this way because native TV (NTSC and PAL) screens resolution is 640x480 and these are the exact same movies the XBox version uses...

That is why they look "okay" on a TV screen, but not a monitor that has much more depth and pixels to it.

Hi.

I too wish that the movies were crisper (one would assume that they could have re-generated them for at least 800x600 without an unreasonable amount of effort for the PC release). Even if some form of filtering was done to make them a crisper 640x480 would have been nice (the colours often look blurry or washed out).

JC.

The graphics in general seem to be a step backward throughout the game. I seem to remember a lot more detail at the same resolution and settings in KOTOR1. (Then again, I guess there is a lot more processing going on in the background with the additions that were made to the game play, which could cause this graphics issue.)

So I checked. In order to get the same quality out of TSL, I had to ratchet up the gfx settings higher than I needed on KOTOR. ie: where I ran KOTOR with AAx2, AF off, I need to run TSL with AAx4 and AFx4. That could simply be an anomoly with my computer specifically.

However, the cutscenes are definitely a much lower quality in TSL then they were in KOTOR. I can only recall 2 cutscenes in KOTOR that were left at a low-end 640x480. The rest were redone for the pc version. In TSL, I'd guess around a quarter (so far...I'm only halfway through or so) are at the low end 640x480. The ones that were beefed up were not done to the same level they were in KOTOR. All the cutscenes seem to have a very console-ish look to them, regardless of the resolution.

Still, I'm enjoying the story, which for now is making up for the graphics issues. And yes, I know all about the lame ending from my reads here. Let me bask in it for now, I'll experience the ending in due time.

It seems that KotOR II on PC is quite a great backward. First the musics far too much compressed (48 kbps mono for classical records, what a piece of crap...), the overall design (some textures are quite ugly, even in high details) and worse, the cinematics. Most of them are these crappy and ugly .bik. But it seems that a third of them were first made with the game engine and then became ugly .bik. It's quite strange a strange choice, and for the worse.

Unfortunately, this is not the kind of things which are changed in a patch.

in the SWkotor2.ini file theres these lines under "[Display Options]" :

Width=640

Height=480

you can change them, just note that i didnt try it myself, dont know the results, backup the file if youre gonna change it so you wont have to reinstall the game if something goes wrong.

in the SWkotor2.ini file theres these lines under "[Display Options]" :

Width=640

Height=480

you can change them, just note that i didnt try it myself, dont know the results, backup the file if youre gonna change it so you wont have to reinstall the game if something goes wrong.

There is no effect. I tried.

The movies are finished pieces of video that were just done in low res. There is no way we can change them. Only Obsidian could change them since they presumably have the original textures and files that compose them.

As someone else said... TSL is a huge step backwards in so many ways.

While gameplay should always be above graphics... These graphcis just look outdated now AND even some of the gameplay isn't balanced (same say it is too easy; others are having problems with the math allowing characters to actually hit their targets when their stats/feats/skills should automatically be in favor of more hits than misses).

I can run the game "okay" on my rig (AMD 64-bit rig), but there are far too many glaring bugs, glitches and other things to even try until at least a patch comes out because it is obvious the game was never ready to be released (as evidenced by the lame endings and hanging plot holes), yet Lucas Arts demanded an impossible one-year time table for Christmass '04 release. This is the sad, sorry result.

I noticed a distinct lack of quality in the opening starfield which looked just horrible. The next time I really felt it was with the FMV cutscene showing the Sith guy alone on the bridge of the Harbinger. That video was made with an in-game render and you can distinctly see that there was no FSAA used to do it.

That said, I think worrying too much about the cutscene quality isn't necessary as long as they convey the message they need to. As much as we like pretty visuals it is better that the narrative is the focus.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks the video quality is not up to standard. i absolutely love the game - but when the cut scenese come up i just turn away/ just read the text - it just breaks my lil kotor heart to see the movies done so badly ;)

i dont know what kind of influence Lucas Arts had in the making of this game, if they had any i would be extremely shocked to say the least that they would allow the game to be released (for pc) with such bad movie files

**sobs**

There is indeed a very large difference.

I really hope LucasArts allows Obsidian to do a content patch. One thing they could do is remaster the movies that they can have DVD quality. Hell, the Movie sequences in Fallout 1 looked better than KotOR 2 and that is just wrong.

Releasing the movies in DVD quality? LOL. That would be at least a 2 gig download, forget it. And what for anyway? The vids were, as I can remember, not worse than those from K1. It's not like I couldn't live without those movies, I mean I'm playing a game there, not watching a motion picture.

One thing though LA should consider is releasing the music in HQ.

Releasing the movies in DVD quality? LOL. That would be at least a 2 gig download, forget it. And what for anyway? The vids were, as I can remember, not worse than those from K1. It's not like I couldn't live without those movies, I mean I'm playing a game there, not watching a motion picture.

2GB for about 30 min DVD quality movie?

If that's true I wonder how the movie-company's can fit a 3 hour movie+extra's on one DVD instead of 8.

And if it's too lang they can cut the patch in pieces, delivering a DVD quality upgrade to the ugliest movies first, and then for the less uglier (don't have to download it anyway).

It guess it shouldn't take Obsidian any trouble giving the music in stereo high quality. Just put them in a patch uncomppressed (they probably still have those on their PC's, not?) and allow the game to run those new ones.

But the most important thing still is extra-content in form of Droid-factory, finished ending. I take these above music/movie improvement anyday.

Actually it would be be that much. Sure it would be a hefty download but for those who have high connection speeds, like myself, won't have a problem.

Actually it would be be that much. Sure it would be a hefty download but for those who have high connection speeds, like myself, won't have a problem.

Still I don't think that will happen. I never saw a publisher just hosting a 2 gig movie pack. Besides those movies had to be re-rendered and remastered, and I think LA has really more important things to do....