Kreia and Palpatine

Rhl

Anyone else think Obsidian was watching way too much of the Star Wars movies and totally just made Kreia the female Palpatine? *SPOILERS*

She's a 'betrayer'. Palpatine was a 'betrayer' too.

She has a voice like Palpatine's.

She's old. And hella ugly. And looks like she got ran over by a big cement truck and then dragged 400 miles.

Ditto with palpatine.

Their 'apprentices' are 'evil' (think Revan, he was bad, and he was her apprentice. The Exile is her apprentice too) if you take the dark side...

Same with palpatine. Dooku, Darth Maul, Vader......

Her force lightning is amazingly devastating. Palpatine's kicked Luke Skywalker's ass, so ditto on that too.

She talks major crap sometimes. Palpatine talked crap too.

Maybe I'll add more later... Bedtime!

I remember reading that passage in the book of Jedi in Sunday School as a kid when we were studying the GBT Bible (Galactic Basic Translation).

Another highlight for me has always been Jedi 4:15-17 in which the prophet Yoda says that 'Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Once you go down the path of the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny'. I always take that to heart when I play Star Wars games.

'Tis true that the saving grace of the 'prequel' movies so far has been watching Palpatine pull the wool over the eyes of all the 'good guys' and watching him win the war even as they won the battles, IMHO. In the wake of all the Jar Jar silliness, it's largely what makes them watchable, even good :)

Master Vrook? I saw Master Vrook's hardline, uncompromising adherence to the Jedi teachings as causing him to teeter near the dark side himself -- but not actually hit it -- and KOTOR2 did a good job of keeping that running, as well as seeing one other character run a little closer to that line, and... :-" As to "more powerful"? Well, he wasn't a mover and shaker on the same scale as Kreia, or Palpatine in his era, so...

Hypothetically, that may have been the intention, yes. Palpatine has always been my favorite Sith Lord because (at least in Episode 1 and 2) he's... well, subtle, and watching him pull strings is a lot of fun, both in the <A TITLE="Click for more information about movies" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||movies|AA1VDw">movies</A> and in the books and comics. 

Chris

as long as you didnt get any story inspirations from barbara hambly or vonda mcintyre, ill be okay with any story you guys came up with.

Actually, the relationship between Kreia and the Exile is very cat & mouse. From the very beginning (on Peragus) there are dialogue options for the exile that run through his suspicions of her, and this continues quite regularly throughout the course of the game. It is just done in a way that interjects some form of subtlety; so you can continue the teacher/student relationship with her, even if you know in your gut she is playing you for a sucker...

For instance:

At one point, while talking to Atton, there is an option you can take to say "I don't think she's a jedi." And even though it's not emphasized in the script, you can take this to mean the exile is revealing Kreia to Atton as sith. Even that early on in the game. :wub:

It's easy for these dialogue options to get lost in the shuffle because most people are playing for light side and dark side points, and it seems the best way to get the points is just to continuosly ask the questions provided (light side), or speak the crudest sounding dialogue option in the tree (dark side).

What I'm getting at:

Kreia's revelation isn't exactly for shock value.

It's just another piece to the puzzle... That, when applied to the board, may not even fit right, because hey- Kreia lies. :geek:

But to be honest it would have been better if she was evil to begin

That's what makes her so evil! And Palpatine for that matter. In Palpatine's case, he would actually do good deeds. Kreia stops shy of that.

Hypothetically, that may have been the intention, yes. Palpatine has always been my favorite Sith Lord because (at least in Episode 1 and 2) he's... well, subtle, and watching him pull strings is a lot of fun, both in the movies and in the books and comics. 

Chris

I have to agree completely. The real story imbedded within Episodes 1 and 2 is Palpatine. And if you don't pay attention to what he's doing, the majority of what's REALLY going on goes whoosh!

He has his Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde scenarios and plays them off quite well.

When I first saw Darth Maul, I thought to myself, "Aha! So Lucas picked up the Red Ensign syndrome!" And sure enough, Maul dies. Such is the fate of good loyal lap dogs. Roll over! Play dead! Good doggy!

Dooku was a bit more interesting. I especially liked when he told Obi-Wan the truth, and Obi-Wan rejected him.

I also think Lucas deliberately made Palpatine and Yoda's images the way he did. Looks can be deceiving.

It's just another piece to the puzzle... That, when applied to the board, may not even fit right, because hey- Kreia lies.

Ah, but what makes her even more insidious is, she tells you the truth too!

Ask her who the Betrayer is, and listen to her response.

It's easy for these dialogue options to get lost in the shuffle because most people are playing for light side and dark side points

That's not entirely true in all cases. The first time I played, I was trying to figure out my character and who and what I was. So when it came to stuff regarding the war, I took the moral high ground with going to war to save countless lives. You didn't necessarily get light points or dark points for doing so, but you could delve deeply into the dialog that way. Especially with Atris and the Jedi Council.

Even before that cut-scene, you got the feeling something just wasn't quite right with her based on some comments she would make, or other things you could get her to say. When you left Peragus for example, and her wanting to blow everything up. It was the little things that set your teeth on edge. Much like your first encounter with an HK-50. The little slips, or "unspoken" meanings.

iirc, I didn't see that cut-scene until Dantooine (my 1st stop), but there was plenty that she did on Telos that set me on edge due to my LS actions. By Nar Shadaa (my 2nd stop), I knew that she could only be evil. No grey Jedi would tell me that by helping others, I strengthen myself, and weaken them. Only a Sith believes that. And only a Sith could possibly be interested in actually harnessing any kind of gain from such.

As for Master Vrook, I see him (and the Jedi Council in KOTOR as a whole) as a parody of the prequel films. The Council has grown complacent and entirely too arrogant for it's own good. They hurt themselves just as much as the Sith do, and this is why their influence is fading.

Master Zez-Kai Ell is the one member of the council who realizes what's going on, and feels ashamed.

I felt this was especially relevant given what they had the audacity to do to Revan in KOTOR 1.

Ferret said: Ask her who the betrayer is and listen to the response.

Ahh, the way she interjects the word she while talking about the betrayer.

Kreia pretty much shot herself in the foot there didn't she? ;) And we were so coldly denied the option to jump all over that in the dialogue, too.

Little clues like this one are scattered throughout her musings and pretty much sure any doubt the male player may have about Kreia. Some female players however may have been saying to themselves, "Oh, God. Not again." :D

And about just going with the flow of your character:

Cudos to you. :devil:

Personally I love to play snarky, brash characters. But when I'm playing a light jedi and the funniest lines are the third one down- I'm consciously thinking that this will lead to :lol: when what I want is o:) . There were a few times through my 1st run through where I did not adhere to my moral compass only to wind up with DS points, and just because I wanted to play a bit of a smart-ass.

It's too tempting to just play it safe in this game, so I generalized about that.