Obsidians Answer to us about Rushed KoToR2

Obsidians Answer to us about the rush job on kotor2

Someone asks on another fourm about kotor2's bugs and rushed ending and Brian D. Lawson (programmer at obsidian) answers his question. How nice of him to care about the customer huh?

Quote: Posted 02/16/05 04:37:12 (GMT) by thanos_aoa

(Not to be too harsh I did like the game. Its a good game its just not in the league of Kotor 1. The game failings are bugs, dialog and the ending.)

"Well, enjoy your stay amongst the ranks of the minority." :blink:

umm, it's one flip line.  who cares.  Nothing is said here to even read into.

I disagree, he obviously doesn't care about us "minority" and I think that shows what kind of state of mind they are in. I normally would defend the devlopers or anyone who there is no evidence against. But this one line seems like he is dismissing us who are speaking up and that they are just looking at the sales and money. If any obsidian employee says otherwise and shows evidence to the contrary, then I will gladly say I was wrong.

I have enjoyed KOTOR II and think that despite it's failings and cut ending, it was a good game. And I've sided with Obsidian on this rushed issue. I feel that LA pushed the time table too much and that is why it came out the way it did.

But this comment really does tick me off. I know that it is only one employee and isn't the company line, but that comment seemed very arrogant and condescending.

I still blame LA and not Obsidian, but I won't be quite as supportive of Obsidian after reading this.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

might just be the opinion of one obsidian employee.  besides from possibly being taken out of context, you cant really call it "obsidians reply" just because he happens to be making a personal statement and happens to work for obsidian.

The reason I posted this is because this is the only public (that I know of) reply by any obsidian employee made about kotor2's bugs and rush job. If they have had said something else, then this would have probably just been ignored.

I do see both sides of the argument over what he said.

He might be saying "Well, you said the game was good, be ready to stay in the ranks of the minority." As in everybody and their brother is going to start bitching.

But if that was true, then he might have said something a little less flippant, and more clear.

I'm going to err on the side of "I WANT THE DAMN GAME FINISHED YOU BASTARDS," and say he believes the game was done.

Where do you get the idea that obsidian doesn't care about the minority? All I got from that like was the people who enjoyed the game enough to voice their opinions about it fell under the minority...

Stop whipping up another red scare.

I'm not trying to whip up a "red scare". I just posted what I saw as the only public comment about knight2 problems, that's all. It seems to ME personally that he didn't care about us minotiry in the way he phrased his comment. But I urge everyone to make up your own mind.

Perhaps I did read to much into it, if I did then I do aplogize. But it still leaves the fact that this has been the only public comment about the problems with the game and that's just not right. (If there has been another public comment, please someone let me know)

Where do you get the idea that obsidian doesn't care about the minority? All I got from that like was the people who enjoyed the game enough to voice their opinions about it fell under the minority...

Stop whipping up another red scare.

I'm not trying to whip up a "red scare". I just posted what I saw as the only public comment about knight2 problems, that's all. It seems to ME personally that he didn't care about us minotiry in the way he phrased his comment. But I urge everyone to make up your own mind.

Perhaps I did read to much into it, if I did then I do aplogize. But it still leaves the fact that this has been the only public comment about the problems with the game and that's just not right. (If there has been another public comment, please someone let me know)

No, I have to agree with you here. I read that and I was going to reply with "that was incredibly arrogant", but didn't feel as though it would be appreciated. I don't like that this is the only thing we've gotten so far. Sadly a programmer's comments on another forum are the only scraps we can get from the devs these days.

Let's look at this, shall we?

1) a personal comment

2) in a non-KOTOR2 forum

3) on a site other than Obsidians

4) from an engineer working on a different product (i don't know if he was working with KOTOR2, i'm at work and don't have the information handy.)

As to the comment itself, since you are a poster on a game forum you are a minority. Deal with it. As a forum board member you are in the smallest percentage of consumer gamers out there.

Now you can read into this comment all you want and get yourself whipped into a frenzy, but it's not obsidians official position on KOTOR2 in any way, shape, or form.

1) a personal comment

2) in a non-KOTOR2 forum

4) from an engineer working on a different product (i don't know if he was working with KOTOR2, i'm at work and don't have the information handy.)

As to the comment itself, since you are a poster on a game forum you are a minority. Deal with it. As a forum board member you are in the smallest percentage of consumer gamers out there.

Now you can read into this comment all you want and get yourself whipped into a frenzy, but it's not obsidians official position on KOTOR2 in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, I agree.

Still, he was arrogant and should be slapped for unsettling the Tan. Maybe even twice!

Woopity do dah. That comment is just a good way to state that he disagree with the post in question or whatever. You can actually twist it to mean anything you want if you felt like it. Geez.. Was it such a big deal you had to spy on the NWN2 boards and come rushing her e- afetr tripping 25 times in the hurry - to spam this 'juciy' gossip?

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1) a personal comment

2) in a non-KOTOR2 forum

But it is something of a reflection of Obsidians official position that a personal comment in a non-KotOR 2 forum on a site other than Obsidians from an engineer working on a different project is the only thing we have had from Obsidian since the game was released. That a comment in those circumstances is all we have indicates, at least to me, that everyone else at Obsidian is just plain ignoring us. That is more unacceptable than the comment itself.

Why has there been no official comment on a KotOR 2 forum on Obsidian's site from someone working on the project? After spending thirty pounds or fifty dollars on a game that for many of us doesn't even work, don't we deserve at least that much?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Let Obsidian say we are minority. That on these boards, we are just a few mice in a box.

Yet, if you go to the many other Star Wars boards. You will find that ALL agree that although the game might be good, it is incomplete, with a very poor ending.

You get all these board members who have the game to sign something, and we are no longer a minority.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

1) a personal comment

2) in a non-KOTOR2 forum

But it is something of a reflection of Obsidians official position that a personal comment in a non-KotOR 2 forum on a site other than Obsidians from an engineer working on a different project is the only thing we have had from Obsidian since the game was released. That a comment in those circumstances is all we have indicates, at least to me, that everyone else at Obsidian is just plain ignoring us. That is more unacceptable than the comment itself.

Why has there been no official comment on a KotOR 2 forum on Obsidian's site from someone working on the project? After spending thirty pounds or fifty dollars on a game that for many of us doesn't even work, don't we deserve at least that much?

All i take the silence to mean is that they are under a gag contract. They are normally very talkative on these boards so the silence is out of the ordinary. Since LA is handling all of the tech support and customer services, then i'm assuming that OE CANNOT comment on what may be being done to fix things or anything else on those lines.

As much as the other enourmously amazing thread about the cut endings has utterly depressed me (a little dramatic, I know), I have to say, the game is what it is.

I don't expect ever to get an expansion pack or a patch of some sort coming from OE or LA.

In some ways, this all reminds me of the fan outcry when Episode I first came out. Everyone was like, "Wtf was that? That was terrible!" And Lucas not only ignored all of his fans (he's even said on numerous interviews that he doesn't care what his fans think) but he gave the public the exact same thing with Episode II.

The bottom line is, money talks. And despite the outcry of the many Star Wars and RPG fans out there about the disappointing failings of this game, there won't be any changes because LA has already reaped the benefits of the intial releases. And OE has benefitted from all of the critical accolades (which I totally don't understand, btw) being heaped on this game.

Why? Because you all, just like me, are going to continue to shell out your money for crap like this and then we're just going to move on to something else. TPM was just about universally panned, but Lucas knew that he could literally afford to ignore the outcry because all of the fans that were pissed at TPM were the same fans that were gonna be the first ones in line for AOTC.

And they were.

If you want to really effect change you have to hit companies where the feel it the most - their pocketbooks.

This means don't any of you buy K3 when and if it ever comes out.

And I can't even type that with a straight face.

Er, I seem to be alone in my interpretation. Let's take a look at the reply and what it replied to:

Statement: "Not to be too harsh I did like the game. Its a good game its just not in the league of Kotor 1. The game failings are bugs, dialog and the ending."

Answer: "Well, enjoy your stay amongst the ranks of the minority."

What most of you seem to be doing is focusing on the last two sentences. I.e. a mild way of saying that the game is bad. In that case, yes, the comment would be a bit rude as it would more or less mean that most people like the game and possibly that Obsidian don't care about the minority that doesn't.

However, I believe what you should look at is the first part: "...I did like the game.". If that's what he was replying to, it can actually be viewed as him admitting that the game isn't as good as it should've been, and that they know there are a lot of people who feel that way.

"Can you provide a more rational solution?"

1. They're concentrating on NWN2.

2. They're allowing the ones who seem to spam hatred towards KOTOR2 say their piece, and move on.

3. They're concentrating on making a patch as plicating people with 'We're working on it.' gets 'em nowhere.

4. They're emabarrased by some of the shoddy work in KOTOR2. Remember, more than once Obsidian made it clear they had enough time to make KOTOR2 great.

Also, just because they arne't posting does not eman theya ren't reading and learning.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.