Revan - a man...

.... ;) Typical male egotism. I love it. :x

I fail to see how a woman can't be a charismatic, authoritative figure and a more than effective military strategist. "Oh, well... cause, y'know, being female and all..." isn't a good enough argument.

You're assuming quite a bit about the people you're arguing with. Belief that the KotOR story works better with a male Revan doesn't necessarily spring from belief that women can't do any of the things you just listed.

People are forgetting the great Chinese Empresses Lu and Wu. They took the power from those men and beat them bloody with it.

These two figures could rival any roman emperor any day.

Could they really? I submit that they cannot hold water compared to C

the third point is that LucasArts and BioWare intended Revan as a man. thus, I think Obsidian should have preserve this tradition and refer to Revan as respectful man.

First: If LucasArts and BioWare intended Revan to be a man, they wouldn't have given you the option of playing a female character. They'd have saved the effort of writing gender specific dialogue with Carth and several other characters.

Second: I don't have a source to back this up, but I'm pretty sure I heard that the Bioware devs thought of Revan as a woman.

Last: So what? If Lucasarts and Bioware told you to jump off a cliff, would you? No? If you won't let them tell you what to do, why let them tell you what to think? What they intended doesn't matter, only the work they did does.

the other thing concerning thing about Mr. Revan is why nobody says about Revan's exemple of bringing his old student forces down singlehandedly. no matter he or she, everybody in the game is refering to him/her as Darth Revan and is talking about the ****e destruction he brought with turning to the Dark Side and is pointing it to our protagonist as a bad exemple, but yet nobody (except Carth I think) says about how he brought down Malak and his entire forces on the Star Forge, before going to obscurity. "Darth Revan did this, Darth Revan did that. Darth Revan destroyed this! Darth Revan destroyed that!" "Darth" Revan saved your arses before, you thankless bastards!"

This is hardly surprising. People tend to focus on the bad parts of others.

There is no way a female Revan could be convincing to me. There are too many female Jedi and Sith in these games. Male characters are getting short-changed because there is too much focus on romantic possibiilites.

Its actually kind of silly when you think about it. These delicate, dainty, beautiful women out on the battlefield fighitng against those bulky, built Mandalorian warriors.

Make no doubt about it, these games are definitely *fantasy*.

There is no way a female Revan could be convincing to me.

Yes, but did you not just say that it's "fantasy" - so how could a female Revan not be convincing in a fantasy? We're talking about the Force here - if Yoda can take on a human male then so could a woman in the Star Wars Universe. Don't use reality-based arguments to fuel your critiques of fantasy-based worlds.

Its actually kind of silly when you think about it. These delicate, dainty, beautiful women out on the battlefield fighitng against those bulky, built Mandalorian warriors.

Are you saying a tiny robed Jedi could beat out these "bulky, built Mandalorian warriors?" Sorry but for both men and women... in my mind: Mandalorian armor > pathetic piece of cloth.

However, as for real life, I know this girl - she's six foot six, in the military and could totally kick your #@%! No fooling! :ph34r:

[edit] oops, I meant... 6'6," not 6'2"

Edited by stop_him

Ok time for me to put my foot down. Im 45 female and been gaming when most of you were in diapers.Guys check the year its 2004 not 100bc.Roma very nice history lesson there also dont forget it was cleopatra that seduced and killed one of romes mightiest emperors to(forget his name off hand).

Queens ruled egypt and that area for 100's of years even before rome existed.Anyways news flash its 2004 and if you havent watched the news lately we have a new lady secretary of state.Sorry its about time we got our fair share of credit.Hell every FPS game out today features a man.Most games are male oriented prime example Battlefield 1942.Now for a fact 70% of your rpgers are girls of all ages.Back in 1996 there was a survey-60% of all online gamers were female at that time.But its reversed now:P.

Now as far as not being good strategist and such-um beg your pardon i got a 40 man squad<real men> that just shred stuff for me on whim-just check my profile.But thats in my offline life after work.For work all im going to say is i budget billions of dollars everyday-so women in power is reality.

Kreia and Revan own! :rolleyes: Bioware and Obsidian will get a free keg from me one day.

Guys check the year its 2004 not 100bc.

2005 :rolleyes:

But yes, she has a point. Does it really matter whether Revan is a man or woman, play it how you want.

Have to ever heard of the force, my friend.

I think someone needs to throw away stereotypes.

Even though im a guy, and think of Revan as a guy. :D

think flirting (w00t) , a look, a wink and a smile and goes down a general, an emperor or a god... even a jedi

lets face it men.. we are out gunned, these girls fight/play dirty, they sometimes use weapons(guns swords etc) but then they themselves are weapons of mass "destraction" and with force or charm bend us to their wills.. lets face it, a male revan could sway people with his charisma but then a female revan could use more subtle means to sway even the most hardened of jedis to try and pull a "blindo" :ermm:

edit: a hardened male jedi that is :-"

My only great concern about Revans and the Exiles genders, are if you're actually gonna meet them as NPC's in KOTOR3.

This would cause some great troubles, not only the gender-question, but also the fact that these characters didn't look the same to all. Some chose this face, and others chose that (personally I was quite confused when seeing my Revans face on a couple of soldiers on Peragus and Onderon).

So I propose a solution where you somehow just copies the last save of the both games and include them as a starting point in KOTOR3. Surely this will cause troubles for the consoles if KOTOR3 is produced for the next generation, but **** that. :ermm:" The Developers would of course have to do a little bit of extra work, but if LA just give them the time needed I'm sure it would turn out pretty well.

My only great concern about Revans and the Exiles genders, are if you're actually gonna meet them as NPC's in KOTOR3.

This would cause some great troubles, not only the gender-question, but also the fact that these characters didn't look the same to all. Some chose this face, and others chose that (personally I was quite confused when seeing my Revans face on a couple of soldiers on Peragus and Onderon).

So I propose a solution where you somehow just copies the last save of the both games and include them as a starting point in KOTOR3. Surely this will cause troubles for the consoles if KOTOR3 is produced for the next generation, but **** that.  :ermm:" The Developers would of course have to do a little bit of extra work, but if LA just give them the time needed I'm sure it would turn out pretty well.

Well, that's what they did for Baldur's Gate, though that was for PCs as opposed to NPCs. In theory, though, only the exile need cause trouble on the appearance front. For Revan, you can just record two voices, and put him or her back in his or her awesome robes. Possibly with some alteration of those robes if Revan is light side (they could be white, I suppose).

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Guys check the year its 2004 not 100bc.

2005 :ermm:

But yes, she has a point. Does it really matter whether Revan is a man or woman, play it how you want.

Have to ever heard of the force, my friend.

I think someone needs to throw away stereotypes.

Even though im a guy, and think of Revan as a guy. :D

Exactly. That's what the force is for...

Seriously, you're worried about realism in a video game battle where the pc can choke someone with their mind and summon a lightning storm. I don't think that we're the ones being silly here...

What's worse, the troll that baits or the trolls that bite the bait?

Having said that, it does seem like LA are trying to establish Revan as male if you look at the Chronicles on the KotOR2 site on lucasarts.com.

Quoting from Chronicles Part XII: The Feeding of Malachor V:

"It is a period of uncertainty across the galaxy. After a long and vicious battle in the deepest area of the STAR FORGE, Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War."

So they're trying to establish Revan not only as male, but also as DS male. But then again, the Chronicles section is an inconsistent and inaccurate POS IMHO.

yeah, but the biggest jedi heroes as Ulic Quel-Droma, Bontu Sitmus, Yoda, Luke Skywalker were all male. So deal with it. Jedi protagonists should be male :wub:....

Luke was male? Gee, couldn't tell through all that whining he did....

It seems to be a trend in Star Wars that all the high political leader positions are held by females, like Mon Mothma, Princess-with-bad-acting-skills Amidala, Leia, etc, but all the grunt work are done by dirty, smelly, sweaty men like Obi Wan and Luke.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

"It is a period of uncertainty across the galaxy. After a long and vicious battle in the deepest area of the STAR FORGE, Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War."

So they're trying to establish Revan not only as male, but also as DS male. But then again, the Chronicles section is an inconsistent and inaccurate POS IMHO.

Well, while I wouldn't argue that the use of "he" kinda indicates a male Revan, I wouldn't say that there's anything to indicate his alignment. Just because he was evil when he created the outposts doesn't mean he have to be evil to use them, right? If they are secret, perhaps there's no troops there that could stop him from using it.

But of course, you'll have to look at the accuracy and legitimacy of the source, like you said, as well.

[

However, as for real life, I know this girl - she's six foot six, in the military and could totally kick your #@%! No fooling! :ph34r:

[edit] oops, I meant...  6'6," not 6'2"

Yes, I know that "tough" and burly women like this exist. But they are the exception.

...and in these games I'd rather see fewer women but more like this, than all these sexy, model-looking Jedi prancing around.

yeah, but the biggest jedi heroes as Ulic Quel-Droma, Bontu Sitmus, Yoda, Luke Skywalker were all male. So deal with it. Jedi protagonists should be male :wub:....

Oooh, another fallacy! I'm guessing MOST of those authors are males themselves. I have a friend who owns all the Star Wars books and he tells me that there's a certain author who has quite obviously self-inserted himself into his stories - claims to be more powerful than Skywalker, better looking, etc. Plus, most no doubt think that males are going to read those novels, so the authors are also catering to their male audience. And let's face it, some of guys here obviously have issues with the idea of stronger, smarter women. Mother issues perhaps? lol.

I fail to see how a woman can't be a charismatic, authoritative figure and a more than effective military strategist. "Oh, well... cause, y'know, being female and all..." isn't a good enough argument

well, Hannibal Barka, Julius Caeser, Charlemagne and Chinghiz Khan were all male and they were brilliant strategists. No offence, but I can't remember a female one, who can stand close to them.

and a woman can be charismatic and autorative figure, but what I'm saying is that a man is more potentially strong and emotionally self-centered than a woman. I think the proof for the vice versa women behaviour can be found in Bastila submussion to the Dark Side.

That's because women in those societies were not allowed to serve in the military. Banning a group from doing something and then saying that the group is not good at doing it is irrational, like most generalities applied to groups based on supposed inherent physiological characteristics.

I found it odd when I chose Revan as a women because, after playing KOTOR unto the nth time, there was this little voice in the back of my head saying, "I'm not a woman."

yeah, but the biggest jedi heroes as Ulic Quel-Droma, Bontu Sitmus, Yoda, Luke Skywalker were all male. So deal with it. Jedi protagonists should be male :p....

Oooh, another fallacy! I'm guessing MOST of those authors are males themselves. I have a friend who owns all the Star Wars books and he tells me that there's a certain author who has quite obviously self-inserted himself into his stories - claims to be more powerful than Skywalker, better looking, etc.

:o Darren Shan writes Star Wars novels too?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!