Revan - a man...

don't get me wrong, i don't hate women. especially not my love interest :p.

but, yet I'm against refering Revan as a woman. it would be better and Revan should be refered as a man. I think that a man is more potential and stronger to turn of the Galactic uspide down, become Dark Lord, then get brainwashed and turn against his former student to a total victory. :devil:

yet again, it would be far more interesting if Bastila showed in the second game as a worthy advisor. granted Carth is fits well, but if Bastila was there I'd be more than happier than that. as I said the game is more worthwile as a man on board, because Bastila was/is interesting enough female character. thus it definitely didn't bring me something more playing as a female with this Carth romance in the first game. <_<

the third point is that LucasArts and BioWare intended Revan as a man. thus, I think Obsidian should have preserve this tradition and refer to Revan as respectful man. :)

the other thing concerning thing about Mr. Revan is why nobody says about Revan's exemple of bringing his old student forces down singlehandedly. no matter he or she, everybody in the game is refering to him/her as Darth Revan and is talking about the ****e destruction he brought with turning to the Dark Side and is pointing it to our protagonist as a bad exemple, but yet nobody (except Carth I think) says about how he brought down Malak and his entire forces on the Star Forge, before going to obscurity. "Darth Revan did this, Darth Revan did that. Darth Revan destroyed this! Darth Revan destroyed that!" "Darth" Revan saved your arses before, you thankless bastards!" :geek:

I don't want to threadjack,

but I heard there was supposed to be some place where you could designate Revan as a man or woman and light or dark side. I don't remember ever getting that.

In my light side game Revan was a dark side female (I was a male)

In my current dark side game Revan was a ligh side male (I'm playing a female).

Of course I'm not Revan, so it doesn't matter. I just though it curious.

don't get me wrong, i don't hate women. especially not my love interest :).

but, yet I'm against refering Revan as a woman. it would be better and Revan should be refered as a man. I think that a man is more potential and stronger to turn of the Galactic uspide down, become Dark Lord, then get brainwashed and turn against his former student to a total victory. :)

yet again, it would be far more interesting if Bastila showed in the second game as a worthy advisor. granted Carth is fits well, but if Bastila was there I'd be more than happier than that. as I said the game is more worthwile as a man on board, because Bastila was/is interesting enough female character. thus it definitely didn't bring me something more playing as a female with this Carth romance in the first game. <_<

the third point is that LucasArts and BioWare intended Revan as a man. thus, I think Obsidian should have preserve this tradition and refer to Revan as respectful man.

Are you being serious?!? If Bioware/LA intended Revan to be a man then why are you given the option of being either sex in KotOR ??

but I heard there was supposed to be some place where you could designate Revan as a man or woman and light or dark side. I don't remember ever getting that.

Huh its right at the beginning

Its when you talk to Atton right after you free him in the Paragus mining station, that conversation determines whether Revan was male/female LS/DS

don't get me wrong, i don't hate women. especially not my love interest :p.

but, yet I'm against refering Revan as a woman. it would be better and Revan should be refered as a man. I think that a man is more potential and stronger to turn of the Galactic uspide down, become Dark Lord, then get brainwashed and turn against his former student to a total victory. o:)

the third point is that LucasArts and BioWare intended Revan as a man. thus, I think Obsidian should have preserve this tradition and refer to Revan as respectful man. :)

the other thing concerning thing about Mr. Revan is why nobody says about Revan's exemple of bringing his old student forces down singlehandedly. no matter he or she, everybody in the game is refering to him/her as Darth Revan and is talking about the ****e destruction he brought with turning to the Dark Side and is pointing it to our protagonist as a bad exemple, but yet nobody (except Carth I think) says about how he brought down Malak and his entire forces on the Star Forge, before going to obscurity. "Darth Revan did this, Darth Revan did that. Darth Revan destroyed this! Darth Revan destroyed that!" "Darth" Revan saved your arses before, you thankless bastards!" :)

You decide Revan's gender and light/dark affililation during the discussion with Atton. I don't see why a woman can't be a powerful villain: Kreia was the best evil Force user in a Star Wars game yet.

If Bioware wanted Revan to be a male, th ey wouldn't have let you pick female.

Also, if you select Revan as male, you see Bastila. If you select Revan as female, you see Carth... or maybe it was a Light/Dark thing? Not sure which effected it.

And about people not knowing what Revan did... well, no one outside the Jedi really know why Revan killed Malak, be it for revenge or redemption. They also don't seem to know the difference betwee Jedi and Sith, as a whole. You can't expect people to really understand what went on, since no one who was there is alive, except those affiliated with Revan to begin with.

I agree Revan should be a man, but for completely different reasons. Why? It's better for the story to pick a gender and stick with it. It worked in KotOR2, but only barely. Personally, I felt the issue was rather strained at times. That's not saying that Obsidian didn't do a good job, it's just that I think it'd be better if they had simply said Revan was a gender and a side. If there is a sequel to KotOR2, conneting that storyline to the two previous games will be even more difficult. By letting the player pick what Revan was now, they are basically painting themselves into a corner because they'll be expected to let the player do it in KotOR3 as well. Not to mention the exile, meaning even more combinations.

Basically, what that means is that it'll require some *very* good writing to untangle, or that Revan/the exile will be mostly ignored. Like Revan was in this game, more or less. The latter will of course leave a lot of questions unanswered, and I wouldn't like that.

So, why a male rather than a female? Well, it doesn't really matter I guess, but I simply thing the Bastilla/Revan relationship is more interesting than a Carth/Revan relationship. If Revan is evil, it's master/apprentice. If good, well, I'll leave that to your imagination. I don't really give a damn about what gender is more suitable for a sith lord, as far as I'm concerned, a woman can be just as strong-willed as a man. A man could possibly have a pure physical advantage, but that's pretty much it.

I haven't decided whether I'd prefer a light or dark Revan yet, but I'm kinda leaning towards light because it's more familiar.

Possible spoiler, read at your own risk if you haven't completed the game at least once:

On a sidenote; I think that the exile should've died at the end of this game (though I haven't seen all endings, and the one I did see didn't exactly say if he survived or not). You know, the noble sacrifice of the jedi where (s)he stabs Kreia with his/her saber and dies (for light), or perhaps Kreia's suicide in her defeat and thus the death of the exile as well (for dark). I never quite understood how Kreia could die and the exile remain just dandy given the bond they supposedly had. I got the impression that it would be a bad idea to have the exile running around, regardless of alignment (the whole death of the force thingy). I could be wrong, though.

But most of all, the exile feels a bit too generic for me. I want him/her eliminated, as I don't feel (s)he is an important plot element, or at least not one the couldn't be filled. Allowing him/her to live just feels like an unnecessary complication, but that's just me.

so... does this bring Bastila in the game? I don't remember this conversation and if it just a minor change, I don't wanna bother to remake the entire game again...

jesus.... I just did today... It would be suicidal...:)

I fail to see how a woman can't be a charismatic, authoritative figure and a more than effective military strategist. "Oh, well... cause, y'know, being female and all..." isn't a good enough argument
well, Hannibal Barka, Julius Caeser, Charlemagne and Chinghiz Khan were all male and they were brilliant strategists. No offence, but I can't remember a female one, who can stand close to them.

and a woman can be charismatic and autorative figure, but what I'm saying is that a man is more potentially strong and emotionally self-centered than a woman. I think the proof for the vice versa women behaviour can be found in Bastila submussion to the Dark Side.

well, Hannibal Barka, Julius Caeser, Charlemagne and Chinghiz Khan were all male and they were brilliant strategists. No offence, but I can't remember a female one, who can stand close to them.

To the best of my knowledge none of those guys were Jedi so they dont figure in this conversation. :)"

Anyway if you set Revan to be male you get the chance to see Bastilla a few times but you cannot actually talk to her.

so... does this bring Bastila in the game? I don't remember this conversation and if it just a minor change, I don't wanna bother to remake the entire game again...

jesus.... I just did today... It would be suicidal...:)

I fail to see how a woman can't be a charismatic, authoritative figure and a more than effective military strategist. "Oh, well... cause, y'know, being female and all..." isn't a good enough argument

and a woman can be charismatic and autorative figure, but what I'm saying is that a man is more potentially strong and emotionally self-centered than a woman. I think the proof for the vice versa women behaviour can be found in Bastila submussion to the Dark Side.

Well, to find excellent woman strategist you have to look at places where woman aren't oppressed in the army or politics, like all the places you mentioned.

One example is Boddeca of the Celts. What did she do? Defeated the Roman armies at every turn.

Quite impressive considering the odds against her, especially since she and her daughters were raped, and her husband murdered. She also managed to unite clans who previously hated each other.

The Star Wars setting doesn't seem to have gender discrimination amongst the humans, so its easily possible Revan is female.

Might be because it was unheard of that women could be soldiers up until, what, 20 years ago? I'm sure there were plenty of women who would make just fine generals and military leaders, they just never had a chance to because of a tradition that came to being basically because male half-apes could swing bigger sticks than female half-apes.

I swear I never got any option of choosine what gender light/dark side Reven is with Atton at the beginning. Unless I missed it in the conversation thread.

It's right when you let Atton out. He'll start talking about history, and you get to do so vague hints at gender and class (something like "I thought Revan saved the republic" and when Atton says "you know women" or similar, you can either agree or tell him that Revan was a man).

*Scratches head* Yeah, you know, waaaay back when, females weren't regarded as people. Such a thing would have been unheard of, and the female trying to take on such a role likely would have been killed or some such. It has nothing to do with mental ability. Your argument is null and void. Nyah!

Being self-centered? That's baaaaad. But I get what you're saying. You mean emotionally stable, right? If so, not every woman is an emotional train wreak. They can be just as stable, if not more so, because women tend to be more intouch with thier emotions than men, and can come to terms with them better. That's usually the case, but men are just as capaple of such understanding, as well as the whole weeping deal. :rolleyes:

That said, it still all comes down to the individual. Gender has nothing to do with it, really.

EDIT: Damn you Aegis! You beat me to it. And, um, Tanuvein.

I swear I never got any option of choosine what gender light/dark side Reven is with Atton at the beginning. Unless I missed it in the conversation thread.

It when you ask him questions about Revan or whatever. He says stuff, and you can say things like 'But didn't Revan save the Republic?" or "I heard Revan was evil."

Then he says something, referring to Revan as she (BY DEFAULT, Revan is female, I must point out) and you can go "WTFOMGNOEZ SHE R HE!" and that changes the gender.

And I beat both of you, Twit :rolleyes:

DUDES, didn't Lucas Arts intend Revan to be male?!

Oh and another thing. I agree with Aegis. Before the ending, I thought that the Exile will die too. I felt this was the natural thing to happen. Closing the wound, feeling the gap in the Force. With my final steps being taken in the end, I was feeling like my character would die and everything will end with this. his suffering, emptiness, gap... and when this didn't happen and all I saw was the final credits, I felt a little bit unsatisfied. why? why didn't the Exile died? he should've died. it would be better this way.

But if Obsidian intend to make it the way that Exile follows Revan and he somehow fills that gap - so be it. I'll be happy to play and see this explanation and motivation.

'Proving' that just because you're a female villain doesn't mean you have to be weak in the Star Wars Expanded Universe we have Mara Jade (Thrawn trilogy), Director Isard of Imperial Intelligence (X-Wing series), Gethzerion the Nightsister (some book about Han and Leia) and, though this is a pretty bad example on reflection, Admiral Daala (Jedi Order trilogy). So it's not like a female evil Revan is breaking any moulds here.

Hmm, I will add, however, that women are less likely to make good military leaders and similar. Unfortunately, I don't have any scientific proof (at hand) that men make better leaders, but I'm quite sure that is the case. Whether this is due to social or biological reasons is another matter of course, and not one I'm too keen on discussing right now.

ok, you win, I lose. I give up really to discuss this...:- it's nice, but it's kinda nervous. for story-line reasons I think that Revan should've been only male and male outstanding. and Bastila/Revan relationship and personal stories are more interesting than Carth/Revan ones.

oh and btw... Carth sux... Canderous is the man! :rolleyes:

I don't want to threadjack,

haha this from the guy who complains that obsidian left too many plotholes.

sounds to me like you just arent very observant considering THIS quote is absolutely impossible to miss unless youre braindead.