sigh... the nhl.

taks

Hehe, taks providing a link to a Fox site.. What a surprise.

But YEAH, this sucks! I'm a union man myself, but this time I'm on the owners side. The league is bleeding, interest is down, the latest TV-deal sucked and yet they refuse to face reality and continue to demand over-the-top salaries.

Also, they rather play for a couple of years in Sweden (among other countries) for 5000$/month, in front of 5-10.000 people instead of reducing their salaries from 10 million $ (yes, million) a year to 6 million $ and play in front of 20.000 people each night? Where's the logic behind that?

At least we in Sweden get to see the best players in our Elitserien, and the World Championships will probably be one of the best ever. Always something.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

For a long time I was really against the players for not wanting a salary cap even though the biggest sport in america, football has one. Its made football into by far the most competitve sport and basketball is heading the same way. That was before I found out that there was no revenue sharing. Basically if there isn't it mean that more then likely only the "big market" teams will be spending anywhere close to the salary cap. I know it means 3 million instead of 4 for a middle of the pack players, but on the other hand it like this billionair gets to pocket another million instead of having a competitive team

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

actually it's MSN einstein... they use fox sports. get a clue.

mkreku unable to see past his ideology. what a suprise.

perhaps you should learn to lay off the snide remarks and make sure you don't say ridiculous things like this in the future.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Overpaid self interested bastards on all sides in a sport which, despite generate huge revenues, continues to haemorrage money like nobodies business. Smaller teams should have begun pruning their own wage bills ages ago, yet they are afraid to do so, collecting mountains of debt as they try to keep up with the big boys. If the smaller clubs had begun reducing wages of their own accord they would have lost some players but it would slowly have permeated throughout the whole league system without generating the standoff that occurred. Still, it is a pattern that has emerged in other sports and it is one that is likely to emerge again. Just look at the crisis Leeds United got themselves into in English Football!

actually it's MSN einstein... they use fox sports. get a clue.

mkreku unable to see past his ideology. what a suprise.

perhaps you should learn to lay off the snide remarks and make sure you don't say ridiculous things like this in the future.

taks

...And this from the guy that said Sweden is more capitalist than America... :)

Get a clue.

Actaully, Bush had them cancel the season to get revenge on Canada for not supporting the war.

BTW, apparently from what I read, which I find kinda funny, the NHL doesn't exactly own the Stanley Cup. Any truth in that?

I'm not an expert at all, so please don't take this as the gospel or anything, but the NHL does not own the Stanley Cup. But the NHL owns the rights to the cup. From what I understand there were a bunch of trustees for the cup back in the 30's or something like that then they signed over the rights to the league.

As for the lockout, let both sides be shot and pi##ed on for totally wrecking my winter. I've gone to a few junior games this year, but excitement for this year towards hockey has hit an all time low. And if this isn't settled by july you can forget next season starting on time too. Or scab hockey will be the norm.

Its hard to pick a side to be honest. The players aren't willing to give up enough and the owners basically backed themselves into this position. I mean 5 mil for Marty Lapointe? Go NBA!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Actaully, Bush had them cancel the season to get revenge on Canada for not supporting the war.

BTW, apparently from what I read, which I find kinda funny, the NHL doesn't exactly own the Stanley Cup. Any truth in that?

The origin of the Stanley Cup is that the Canadian Governor General (representative of the Queen) bought a $40 silver cup in 1892 or something to be presented to the best hockey team in Canada, which I believe was decided in a tournament between the best team in the PCHL(Pacific Coastal Hockey League) and the EHL(Eastern Hockey League) I may be wrong about the names of the leagues, both were amateur leagues too. In 1910 the first professional league started that was all Canadian teams, so the cup went to the best team in that league. In 1914 that league folded and the NHL was born, including some of the teams from the previous league, and the cup followed.

Personally I think they should just have a tournament between, the AHL, and the ECHL (the two major Minor Leagues.) and award the cup to the winner.

I just wish the CBC would have televised the WHL or AHL games this season so I could have watched some. The NHL players are full of it. Talking about how fans don't want to watch hockey with a bunch of people who couldn't make it to the NHL, they want to watch the stars., Thats crap. Since the lockout the Vancouver Giants have sold out every game, the world Juniors sold out as well. It may be true for American teams, but Canadians don't care who's playing, as long as theres hockey. (which they proved by the World Juniors being held in the US, yet 70% of those who attended were Canadian.)

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Is it true that they are moving the cup to Europe?

No. The NHL won't award the cup to any other league. A trio of people from Alberta with too much time on their hands (maybe due to a lack of hockey?) tried to petition for the cup to awarded to some other league, and had a lawyer come out and say the cup belongs to everyone but as long as the NHL owns the rights its not going anywhere.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

This is the owners' fault. Plain, and simple. They are the ones who couldn't spend money intelligently. You would think these owners who are supposedly very intelligent business men and at the minimum multi millionaires would have known how to spend money reasonably well. I guess not. The players are doing what *any* intelligent would be employee would do - try to get the best deal you can. That's why salary caps suck. It's an insult to OPEN COMPETITION. It's fake, and it's pathetic.

I cna't believe the players even agreed to one, finally. I do notice many of youa re misisng the fact or ignoring it while bashing the players. The players did grudgingly agree to a salary cap this wek; but that still wans't enough for the owners yet you still have the gall to blame the players? Face it, the owners won't be satisfied until the NHL is back in the 50s where the players are making 10k a year being their lowly paid pseudo slaves. :rolleyes:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Face it, the owners won't be satisfied until the NHL is back in the 50s where the players are making 10k a year being their lowly paid pseudo slaves. ;)

Watch out, the clueless one has struck again!!

Yes, salary caps are evil. Yet, salary caps might save a bleeding industry this time. Let's try it for 6 years? In 6 years there'll be plenty of time to renegotiate the deal, if NHL survives that long.

The players did accept a salary cap, yes. But it was a salary cap set at 52 million per team. That would mean the owners would spend MORE money under the new deal than they do now. NHL is dying, the new TV-deal is the worst in history, ESPN threatens to stop covering the NHL completely (yes, it is true!), the players are already taking 76% of every dollar the league is making (compared to 55-60% in other major sports). Still, the players are trying to increase their salaries.. I'm sorry, but that just isn't going to work in the real world.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The players can live with a 42.5 million deal. Right now most of the more successful teams are in the 40-45 million range, and with the 24% salary rollback, most teams will be under the cap. Vancouver, Calgary, Tampa, and I even think Colorado is around 45 million, its only teams like Toronto, New York, and Detroit that are spending 60-80 million.

I think the players are full of it thinking a salary cap will make the game less entertaining. And their claim that people watch hockey for the stars is crap. The Vancouver Giants are a junior league team, no one knows who any of the players are, and they're getting 11+ thousand people a night seeing their games(I believe the capacity of the arena is 16k) because the NHL isn't playing, and now that the season is officially cancelled, they're expecting more. The NHL lockout has given them an extra 1-2 million in revenues that they're using to build a new training facility. No one cares about the stars, they just want to watch hockey.

I think this lockout is the death of the NHL. No one cares anymore, they've found other ways to get their hockey fix. The CBC should just start airing the WHL games, since Sportsnet got the AHL.

Personally, I think its the fault of both the players and the owners. The owners for giving the players too much money to begin with, and the players for telling the owners to shove it when they try to fix the problem. Its kinda hypocritical if they'll go to europe and play for 80k a year, then come back here and refuse to play for less than 1.5 million a year.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There's like, people who actually, like, care about this sport?

About 30 million north of the US. Yes there are nations outside the US.

Devastatorsig.jpg