KOTOR2 Corrupted my OS!!!

Basically what happened was I was playing KOTOR2, it ran smooth, nice at 1024x768, it would work good for me but then it would freeze on me after playing for a while and sometimes even right after loading the game. Then, one last time it froze and forced me to reset. Ok fine... WRONG, I come up to the "sorry for the inconvenience" error where I would have to choose normal mode, or safe-mode, but then when the OS went to load, the computer restarted and a loop began.

Couldn't get safe-mode either, same thing, just an endless loop.

So I had to resort to using the recovery console and running a "CHKDSK /r" to fix the problem and allow my OS to load again.

Now what if I didn't know jack squat about computers and this happened to me? All because I was playing KOTOR2, it froze and corrupted my OS???? What would I do? If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else, they might not know how to repair their OS.

A GAME SHOULDN'T CORRUPT YOUR OS AND FORCE YOU TO REPAIR YOUR OS!!!

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!

I would also like to note that when I first installed the game I got that typical "wrong media" error that lots of people have been getting and was able to get past it. The game ran fine, smooth etc; for a while. 1024x768 Then the game starts to freeze and crash for no reason at all. THat is bull, I am not pleased, even on X-box the game never worked right.

Whats going on here? Get your **** together guys please. I mean I'm usually a patient easy going guy but I shouldn't have to pay for a game only to have it freeze on me causing me to reboot which then causes corruption of my OS.

I HOPE THEY RELEASE A PATCH!!! PLEASE???

Here are my system specs. (when the game works it runs great on this system)

AMD Athelon 1800+ 1.53GHz

1GB DDRRAM 266Mhz

40 GB HDD

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB

WINDOWS XP PRO

DirectX 9c is installed

No spyware or virus's on the system

I keep my system pretty clean, so my OS was prime.

Basically what happened was I was playing KOTOR2, it ran smooth, nice at 1024x768, it would work good for me but then it would freeze on me after playing for a while and sometimes even right after loading the game. Then, one last time it froze and forced me to reset.  Ok fine... WRONG, I come up to the "sorry for the inconvenience" error where I would have to choose normal mode, or safe-mode, but then when the OS went to load, the computer restarted and a loop began.

Couldn't get safe-mode either, same thing, just an endless loop.

So I had to resort to using the recovery console and running a "CHKDSK /r" to fix the problem and allow my OS to load again.

Now what if I didn't know jack squat about computers and this happened to me?  All because I was playing KOTOR2, it froze and corrupted my OS???? What would I do?  If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else, they might not know how to repair their OS.

A GAME SHOULDN'T CORRUPT YOUR OS AND FORCE YOU TO REPAIR YOUR OS!!!

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!

I would also like to note that when I first installed the game I got that typical "wrong media" error that lots of people have been getting and was able to get past it.  The game ran fine, smooth etc; for a while. 1024x768 Then the game starts to freeze and crash for no reason at all.  THat is bull, I am not pleased, even on X-box the game never worked right. 

Whats going on here?  Get your **** together guys please.  I mean I'm usually a patient easy going guy but I shouldn't have to pay for a game only to have it freeze on me causing me to reboot which then causes corruption of my OS.

I HOPE THEY RELEASE A PATCH!!! PLEASE???

Here are my system specs.  (when the game works it runs great on this system)

AMD Athelon 1800+ 1.53GHz

1GB DDRRAM 266Mhz

40 GB HDD

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB

WINDOWS XP PRO

DirectX 9c is installed

No spyware or virus's on the system

I keep my system pretty clean, so my OS was prime.

same thing happened to me recently before installing kotor and immediatley after installing cat 5.1 drivers.

I wouldnt rule out the drivers causing this. ATI from 3.10 onwards have been doing some funky **** to theyre drivers causing reboots, card overheating and even causing some cards to die.

Have you tested your hard disk? I'm not flaming, but it's unlikely that a game would cause these kind of problems, except during the intsall. It's possible your drive is on the way out, and that it just happened to kick in while the game was running. DO you have SMART running on the drive? I'd also recommend a thorough virus and spyware scan.

I'm a computer technician, I run scans on my HDD regularly, I just recently ran a GWscan on my HDD and found no errors, and I have no SPyware on my system. There is nothing wrong with my system hardware, and my OS.

I agree with Gandark, it could be the drivers but nothing else causes such problems.

It's bad programming in the game and it's unacceptable.

same with me, except for me it didnt just corrupt my os it made my hard drive DIE!!!!!! :rolleyes:

i cant even access recovery console from windows xp cd, the moment i do my computer locks up, same symptoms as the topic opener, everything either caused my computer to go into an infinite loop or my comp would lock up the moment i tried to load windows xp, i cant even run diagnostic tests or use a windows 98 boot cd to refromat but it says it can't even access c:

so im gonna have to send back my western digital HD for a replacment and in the meantime buy a maxtor hd.

my current specs are

Western Digital 200gb SATA HD

Amd athlon 64bit 2800 1.8ghz

MSI k8n nforce3 mb

soundblaster card (some cheap 30 dollar one)

rosewill 512mb ram

ati radeon 9600 128mb

this made me so sad >_< i had so much stuff on my hard drive too this game was awesome. Too bad it was plagued with bugs :(

It is extremly unlikely that KOTOR2 corrupted your harddrive's contents. However with the ATI cards you need to make sure System Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Memory Usage is set to Programs NOT System Cache, the other way of turning this on is by setting LargeSystemCache to 1, it should be 0. If turned on (it's only advantageous on servers) a conflict with the ATI drivers will cause the corruption on your harddrive.

Of course it could just be a case that your harddrive is dieing.

Sorry, but a computer tech should know that there's no such thing as "corrupted OS which you fix by running scandisk".

Here's what happened to your machine:

While you were playing and experienced a crash, file write was happening. When your machine came back up, it detected that some files on your HD were bad. This is absolutely normal behavior for recovering from a hard crash.

FAT32 filesystem was particularly bad at it, and had to scandisk every time kernel crash would occur (kernel crashes are the ones that reboot you/bluescreen you). NTFS is much better at it, but I have in fact seen scandisk performed by Windows before startup after a (well, not exactly) a crash.

So before you say that Kotor2 corrupted your OS, think for a moment. If TSL somehow uninstalled and reinstalled Windows for you, then yes, it would be a corrupted OS. But all you got was a fricken crash, which caused windows to boot into safe mode and run a scandisk. Boo hoo. You do that every time you yank powercord out by accident, or have a power spike, or just press power button without shutting down.