Gauntlet Seven Sorrows preview

kumquatq3

Ninja Gaiden is generally regarded as an extremely difficult action game. All of the moves are button combos that vary based on weapon type. Button mashing will pretty much get you killed.

If people don't like action games, that's perfectly fine. I just have to sigh when people elevate RPGs to some elite plateau floating above other genres of games.

Sounds interesting, I'm glad to see it's coming out for PC. I may pick this up for the story elements alone although I hate playing action games with a mouse and keyboard, and theres no Gamecube version.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Gauntlet certainly won't be as hard as NG.  I just wanted to reject the idea that real-time with pause and turn-based combat systems are for the sophisticated intelligentsia of gaming and action games were for mouth-breathing grunts.

Hey - I play a lot of FPS games, but I can understand those...left click = fire, maybe a secondary attack mode (melee, grenade launcher on my m16 whatever) and gee whiz...sometimes even a 3rd seperate button for grenades these days...but that's about as much as I can handle. I *like* those kind of action games.

Now the original gauntlet had one button and a joystick from memory. So I could handle that right fine too.

I only have a problem when I have to memorise 234 different combo moves and button combos to have any chance of progressing/doing OK. If Gauntlet is one of those, then I'm SOOL no matter how great the story is.

Call me an old timer if you like, but those type of games basically *are* button-mashing for me because I'll be damned if I can get 'em to work right. Hell - I couldn't even work out the melee combat in Riddick - I ended up just runnng around in circles and bopping the bad guys on the head to get through. :(

I was just wondering. If the PC version is going to have gamepad support. I can't imagine playing a Gauntlet game with a mouse and keyboard. Demon Stone and PoP: Warrior Within did have gamepad support and were a lot of fun on the PC, where as Punisher and True Crime: Streets of LA were mouse and keyboard only, just runeing gameplay on a PC.

<<Destroth>>

"Please play through Ninja Gaiden's first level on Normal Difficulty and then return here to tell me of "button mashing"."

lol, you rule Josh. I'm really excited about this. I've been wanting a new *good* Gauntlet game since I played Gauntlet 2 on the NES. For some reason, I did actually enjoy Gauntlet Legends on the 64. The game wasn't very good, but a friend and I would sit there and play it for hours.

So far it sounds pretty killer. I for one can't wait.

I remember playing the original Gauntlet arcade game with friends in a pub. We'd spend as much on Gauntlet as we did on beer; that was the genius thing about it as you could feed the sucka coins and keep on playing the original game. It was great fun.... Defender with swords, really.

I'd definitely consider an Xbox version for the co-op with friends, but not really for single player. For me, a co-op/ multiplayer game doesn't need to be remotely complex to be fun. OTOH, I like really complex single player games.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

This game looks and sounds sweet.

(What? I love short contributions.)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Gauntlet certainly won't be as hard as NG.  I just wanted to reject the idea that real-time with pause and turn-based combat systems are for the sophisticated intelligentsia of gaming and action games were for mouth-breathing grunts.

So.. what would that make me? I like complex role-playing games with real-time action combat, a la Gothic.

I'm a sophisticated grunt breathing through my.. ears?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Definetly sounds interesting.

How do the controlls work on PC if your not useing a gamepad? Seems like the kind of button combinations Ninja Gaiden uses would require a few more buttons than right and left mouse + space and aswd.

I'm very much looking forward to this title. JE seems like he can churn out a solid title.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

And it must be a refreshing change to work on a title that will be released for once :)

Since the game is also ported to PC, are there any modifications to the UI planned or does the head honcho Mr. Sawyer recommend to buy a gamepad ? I rarely play games which depend on such input device and I think it would be quite useful to go for an optimized mouse/keyboard control if possible.

And it must be a refreshing change to work on a title that will be released for once  :thumbsup:

Since the game is also ported to PC, are there any modifications to the UI planned or does the head honcho Mr. Sawyer recommend to buy a gamepad ? I rarely play games which depend on such input device and I think it would be quite useful to go for an optimized mouse/keyboard control if possible.

You can get a PC gamepad that looks and feels like a PS2 gamepad for around $10. There is no reason why gamepad support should not be an option for PC players who want to use them instead of mashing our keyboards to death. The way I look at it, keyboards are meant for typing and gampads/joysticks are meant for gaming. Keyboard/mouse combos are only good for First Person Shooters.

<<Destroth>>

yah yah yah I know you can use a gamepad with a PC, I just figured that the developers would have put in a backup plan for the silly sods that havent invested in one. And whas curious about what said backup plan would be :devil:

Because of the combat style, a gamepad would be the weapon of choice for playing Gauntlet on any platform.

Glad to see your giving PC users gamepad support. There are just 2 many companies out there that think PC users want to play 3rd person action games with only a mouse and keyboard even though they were designed for a console system with a control pad. The Punisher is a prime example of controls that are so bad on the PC version that the game is almost unplayable, while on the X-BOX the game handles great.