KOTOR 3 Main Character

Which of the following would you like to play KOTOR 3 with?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you like to play KOTOR 3 with?

• Revan
    • Exile
    • Revan and Exile
    • A new guy, with Revan and/or exile as cameos
    • A new guy without mentioning Revan and/or exile

In fact, starting as a first level character would, in my opinion, be a really bad idea.  The obvious progression of the story says that the next enemy is the True Sith, and according to what is said in KotOR 2, they are immensely powerful.  If any plotline screams out for a high-level starting character, this is it.

The obvious progression, perhaps. The totally lame and un-SW like progression, definitely.

And BTW, where did you read that every janitor in the 'True Sith Empire' is a level 666 behemoth of destruction? I must have missed that line.

[sith Lord] "What are your duties today?"

[behemont of Destruction] "Master, I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Ok here is my idea you start a a new pc who is a clone of the genetic materal of both Reven & Exile (so it dosent matter what sex they are)You are programed with no memory of any kind but you know many differnt languages and one mission "if you chose to acept it" to kill the jedis with the most power (Reven and Exile).You see a light saber siting on a conter in frount of you with two stones (red and blue). But there are visions of Revens and exiles life that keep jumping into you head(so you think you might be one of them). Its not intell the end were you come into a room were reven an exile are about to fight for some reason you realise who you not they both pull back the hands to shoot force lightning at each other and you jump in the middle get hit by both and pass out......when you wake up in a bed with both of them standing there you ask who are you .No! who am I the try to sence who you are but the sence nothing but themself the give you a ship 2 dorid and a misson on witch you find yourself and have to chose whather to kill them or not

Actually it might be an idea to allow you to play three characters (bit like Suikoden III) then at the end choose your "flame champion".

That way you get:-

Revans Story

Exiles Story

New PC's story

Because of that and assuming you start New PC story first you dont have to do anything cheap like reduce Revan and the Exile to level 1 again.

The other advantage is that you have you pre gen characters with known identities which leaves your new PC to not have some game made up background.

That is of course if you want a playable Revan and Exile.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The problem for me would be this: at the end of KotOR, Revan was level 20. At the end of KotOR II, Exile was about level 27-28. Both characters already lost their connection to the Force once. It would be stupid to have either one of them be de-leveled and lose their powers again. I don't think you could make me a convincing case why either should lose their powers and/or abilities.

Having said that, I would love to play either Revan or Exile in Kotor III. However, there would have to be a few conditions.

First off, it would need to tie into both KotOR I and II. Events that took place in them would have to be specifically mentioned, and how you played the first two would have to make a difference. Since you would be playing as characters from the first games, it only makes sense that how you played through those games would make a difference as to how KotOR III played out.

You would have to be able to re-create your character(s) from the previous game(s). At the beginning of the game, during character creation, you should be given the base character, and all the skills, feats, and powers to get Revan to level 20 and Exile to level 28. HOWEVER-- to use Revan as an example, you should NOT have to level him up 20 times! That's a pain and a waste of time. You should be able to choose your class split beforehand, (i.e. Soldier 5, Guardian 15, or whatever the case may be) and the game will calculate all the free feats/skills you get, give them to you, and allow you to choose the remaining ones all at once. In other words, choose your split, and level up from level 1 to level 20 in one shot. It would also be nice to have the option to import your character from the previous game, but that's not essential.

Finally--KotOR III will have to be made for a very high-level character. If you're starting at level 20 or 28, then you shouldn't have to fight all those thugs and such that you'd be able to batter around the map with Force Ear Flick and Force Sneeze. Masses of cannon fodder will be unnecessary. It would be better to fight a few tougher opponents at a time that a mass of hired thugs. The storyline would have to be a little different in this case, because it won't be designed to bring a character from start to finish--it'll be more like midpoint to finish, by the time it's all said and done.

These conditions would also make for a pretty long game. As you get more and more levels, it takes more XP to level up. Starting at level 20 or 28, it's going to be a while between levels. A game where you only gain 8-10 levels would not be fun. Starting at level 20, you should be able to get to level 35-40. That means Exile, starting at 28, should be able to get to almost 50. This constitutes a very long game. However, I think it can be done. The KotOR series has enjoyed extreme success, and I think it would be great to continue the stories of KotOR I and II.

Oh, one last thing--both Revan and Exile are user-created characters. Neither can be incorporated as an NPC in KotOR III. the NPC may not fit the style the style the user roleplayed. If both are used (which would be great) it could possibly be done as two separate storylines that converge at the end. The user could then have a conversation with himself/herself with the two characters. That could be interesting.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

A good idea would be to have a new PC who dies/sacrifices himself when he reaches lvl 15 and then you get Revan and the Exile.

Or you could have Revan or the Exile from the begging, I don't really care about their level, the game is bound to be easy either way.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

A good idea would be to have a new PC who dies/sacrifices himself when he reaches lvl 15 and then you get Revan and the Exile.

Or you could have Revan or the Exile from the begging, I don't really care about their level, the game is bound to be easy either way.

That's how I would do it. Perhaps when they find he Exile and Revan, the player then chooses who they want to play for the next little while of the game, at which point the character you do not choose returns to known space to gather the Mandalorians/Republic/et. al for the attack of the True Sith, while the player continues the story line from where you make the choice between Revan and the Exile.

Considering how many mistakes were made in KotOR2 when trying to discuss Revan (i.e. I said that Revan was female, and yet half the time she gets referred to as a he), I can't see that KotOR3 could feasibly contain Exile or Revan. You'd have to have conversation choices for both being male and lightside, both male and darkside, one male and one female and both lightside...etc etc. Far too complicated, I'd assume.

A game where you only gain 8-10 levels would not be fun.

You are obviously wrong. Baldur's Gate (I&II) were damn long games in which you could not gain more than 10 levels. Both of them are some of the best CRPGs EVER. Rampant leveling is irrelevant to the fun factor of a game. In fact I found K2's leveling pace rather annoying at times.

Oh, one last thing--both Revan and Exile are user-created characters. Neither can be incorporated as an NPC in KotOR III. the NPC may not fit the style the style the user roleplayed. If both are used (which would be great) it could possibly be done as two separate storylines that converge at the end. The user could then have a conversation with himself/herself with the two characters. That could be interesting.

Uh, and what about people who hasn't ever played K1 and/or K2? Such a deep involvement of former games' plots and PCs would be extremely boring for new players and would not make sense at all for them. It's nice to have a continuation to the saga, but a game must be playable by itself, without need for the previous installments. That's the corporate reason that will prevent any of that from happening. :thumbsup:

K3, if it's ever going to be done needs a completely new ruleset, written from scratch for this purpose, OR an absolutely by-the-book approach to the d20 ruleset. The glaring game imbalance and broken mechanics are proof of this.

A new ruleset would indeed have many advantages. It would allow the designers to do anything they had in mind, without being limited by the shortcomings of a ruleset that wasn't designed for a computer game in the first place. It would allow to have a generic version of Revan/exile without whiners complaining everywhere. It would get rid of ruleset bitches such as myself.

But even if they did all of that, it wouldn't be possible to have a game which featured a post K1/K2 Revan or exile as the PC and at the same time, be fun. There just aren't enemies which can stand up to that level of power. The excuse that everyone in the True Sith Empire (whatever the hell that is) is an insanely powerful god of destruction is at best trite. The alternative of de-leveling them ONCE AGAIN is even worse. Not to mention that that wouldn't be SW. That would be Dragon Ball. Don't let KotOR become Matrix Revolutions.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

To All of You who want a NEW story for K3.......I'll refer to the Halloween movie series. Halloween 1 was a classic, halloween 2 was darker and continued very close (right after) the first movie.....Halloween 3 had nothing to do with Michael Myers or Jamie Lee curtis and look what happened......GAY movie!

In my opinion, if by what Kreia says is true, these "True" Sith are extremely Powerful and are the main sources of power that the sith from K1 and K2 idealised their beliefs off of...which means....you can be level 20 + Revan and/or the level 30+ Exile..........because you're most likely going to be fighting level 60+ enemies.....and then it will grow from there.....

In my opinion it wouldn't make the game feel cheesy or overpowered....it will make u feel like the two most powerful jedi in the galaxy fighting the most sinister threat in the galaxy....after all Knights of the Old Republic is just that...a game with a story driven off of Knights of the Old Republic...and not just any old Jedi Knights.....

Now I think it would be good to split the game by either starting out as the exile and finding revan.....then half way working together...then the last half of the game would be in control of Revan and his ultimate journey...and maybe by then the exile had to sacrifice himself, or was killed by Revan (if exile was evil) and/or the exile had to do something else to aid the war effort...much like the NPC switch with Freedon Nadds tomb.....btw nadd is such a stupid name hahah....****ty EU....anyways....

I think that would be the best scenerio for the game...

In my opinion it wouldn't make the game feel cheesy or overpowered....it will make u feel like the two most powerful jedi in the galaxy fighting the most sinister threat in the galaxy....after all Knights of the Old Republic is just that...a game with a story driven off of Knights of the Old Republic...and not just any old Jedi Knights.....

And that is what I mean by Dragon Ball syndrome. :-"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Why all this talk about levels anyways? There comes a point where the human body and mind reach a limit. The K2 level max should never of been set that high, niether should K1's. K1 should of stopped at 10 and k2 at 20. A soldier, no matter how many battles he fights in can only get so good as the limit of his physical body genetics. So as to would make more sense-

Cap it at 30, come on, how many people actually got past level 30 in K2 without cheating? 10%? We can assume that both Revan and the exile are at or around 30 level by the time of K2's ending(Revan because of a good 5 year lead from K1). In the place of "more DBZ level annoyance" why not achieve new force powers or abilities at points in the game. The force is unlimited, it is every living part of the galaxy. As you(Revan or Exile, whatever) play through K3 you would gain newer force powers, gain new abilities, I dunno like Force Crush Area affect or something similiar. If a new engine is used(and I hope it is) then use a new combat style. Say a mix of Kotor and Jedi Knight, have more options in combat like an improved force jump. Where the jedi would jump into a group of enemies and sweep his lightsaber around, knocking down, injuring, or killing members of the group. Make the battles more tactical. Get rid of the 2 NPC limit. Have lots of NPC's like a squad game. Have 20 mandalorians running around with you engaging dozens of enemies at once.

For example, for the sake of argument you are The Exile and you're leading some republic soldiers against a platoon of sith troopers. You're pinned down and they're well fortied, using a dialoge like tactical system you can instruct your men to charge, stay low, follow you to a flank position. Etc.. etc.., you could even charge then force jump into the sith and do a quick more powerful force wave, sending the sith sprawling everywhere. With the new combat style the sith would be much more vunerably in this state and your charging soldiers would massacre them. More tactical options.

Instead of focusing on leveling and when do I get this force power, focus on the story, focus on the fun factor and interactivity of the battles.

My 2 cents.

I don't know how they can necessarily do it, but at least Revan had some sort of an ending. The resurfacing of memories later and what the composite personality is like is somewhat irrelevant to ending what happened in KotOR 1, because like it or not, he only is who he is when the player controls him, and before *and* after that, he is just like another NPC. When the old memories come back, he ceases to be the old PC. Therefore, the PC had his ending, and Revan can have his ending as an NPC.

The exile did not have an ending. The next game simply has to pick up with who's on the Ebon Hawk flying into that blasted nebula and why. Period.

I actually think it would be cool if KotOR3 started where you weren't the main character. You were someone's apprentice and he/she dragged you off in search of Revan/Exile. For that first period your master acts as the main character, controlling the main dialogues and such. You can add your two cents every once in a while, and you control your master outside of dialogue and such, but other than that, the beginning revolves around your master. Then at one point early in the game, your master dies, and you become the main character leaving you off on your own, a shorter trip to your original destination than to go back where you started so you just keep at your mission.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

To All of You who want a NEW story for K3.......I'll refer to the  Halloween movie series.  Halloween 1 was a classic, halloween 2 was darker and continued very close (right after) the first movie.....Halloween 3 had nothing to do with Michael Myers or Jamie Lee curtis and look what happened......GAY movie!

I agree 100%

having a new punk to play with and a story totaly unrelated to the "true Sith" would be bad for the next KOTOR.

I really want Revan damn it.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom