NIHILUS REVEALED!!!

Long story short: I got a little suspicious of Nihilus' babbling so I took the sound files and played them backwards - THEY MAKE SENSE!!!

Okay, here's what he says:

During the cutscene where we first meet him and Visas:

Nihilus: You have sensed him? The one who stole my essense? Find him and bring him to me. If you lie... remember - your life is mine.

On your encounter with him on the ravager:

Nihilus: You! Thief! At last I will be whole again... the essense... MINE!

When you tell him there are no jedi on Telos and this is all a trick by Kreia:

Nihilus: I did not come looking for Jedi... I came looking for you... and I have found you...

Nihilus: At last I will be whole... what you took from me at Malachor Five I will take back...

Nihilus: Stand with him, Visas, and you will fall...

Near his death:

Nihilus: No! Master... Traya... (or it could be Betrayal, I couldn't tell. The sound was fuzzy)

---------------

I don't know why the devs didn't let us figure this out with a "Translator", but there was suppose to be an encounter with Nihilus on Peragus. The block, however, was commented out in the scripts.

This should shed some new light...

My take on it: At Malachor V, when you lost the force, Kreia said "Many more were born in that dark crucible", maybe Nihilus was the result of the massacre, a force spectre like that person who made the theory thread in storyline discussion termed it. Kreia led him to believe you were the one who took his "essense" when in fact it's the other way around. So this dude's been eating other people's force to sustain himself since he "lost" his essense. But when he tried to suck you, haha, joke's on him.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

Nihilus is talking backward english? No super ancient Sith language? :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe he really is talking in sith and the whole talking backwards thing is just an easter egg. I mean, no one really knows how the siths talk. Maybe the devs meant for it to be sith, but also added the easter egg for those who are careful and curious. I'm playing back the holocron conversation with Atris. So far, sounds like gibberish forward and backward.

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

Maybe he really is talking in sith and the whole talking backwards thing is just an easter egg. I mean, no one really knows how the siths talk. Maybe the devs meant for it to be sith, but also added the easter egg for those who are careful and curious. I'm playing back the holocron conversation with Atris. So far, sounds like gibberish forward and backward.

Which application are you using to playback the files? Rad tools?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Which application are you using to playback the files? Rad tools?

Some of the conversations can be found by extracting and playing back with the KOTOR editor released a while back. Others, like the ones from cutscenes and sound files I couldn't find in the package, I just recorded and played back manually (with a microphone).

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

Talking backwards eh?

Well, thanks for shedding some light on things.

This whole force spectre idea really sheds light on why, when I beat him, he suddenly just, telported/disappered in a flash of red lightning.

Hey, putting his speech backwards may be weak, but it was certainly, in my opinion effective.

Can you translate what the Sith holocrons say with the final encounter with Atris.

THAT seems more difficult. I've played it backwards and it sounds like a lot of voices crowded together. They seem to be saying different things but I can't tell exactly what because of the overlapping.

Seems to be repeating "Betrayer, betrayer, betrayer, betrayer" except all overlapped.

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

He isn't a force spectre.. current issues of Jedi Tales are actually focussing on his past.  You can order them at darkhorse's website...

Perhaps Malachor V did something to him, made him come out from hiding. Maybe the "essense" is his hunger... And yes, he seems quite more substantial than a mere "Force Spectre".

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

Can you translate what the Sith holocrons say with the final encounter with Atris.

THAT seems more difficult. I've played it backwards and it sounds like a lot of voices crowded together. They seem to be saying different things but I can't tell exactly what because of the overlapping.

Seems to be repeating "Betrayer, betrayer, betrayer, betrayer" except all overlapped.

The betrayer is the exile or Atris???

I guess Atris if you turn her to light side.....

Do the holocrons say different things according to if you play LS or DS??

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

This fits nicely with the theory that Nihilis and the exile are two parts of the same person, separated by the exile's rejection of the force.

One thing that didn't make sense about this theory is Kreia seems to imply nihilus was around before malachor 5, dictating nihilus to be an "ancient evil". But then, Kreia is a well known compulsive liar.

Word economics

I speak in haiku's.

This fits nicely with the theory that Nihilis and the exile are two parts of the same person, separated by the exile's rejection of the force.

One thing that didn't make sense about this theory is Kreia seems to imply nihilus was around before malachor 5, dictating nihilus to be an "ancient evil". But then, Kreia is a well known compulsive liar.

Really? I didn't remember that part. In fact, I thought I remembered her or someone else saying that he was created out of the destruction of Malachor V.

Interesting.

I wonder what may have been your influence for going after those sound files... Were you thinking of "performing an exorcism," maybe? :D :p

I also LOVE how Nihilus speaks in an almost lyrical low-pitched growl. He sounds just like the terrible death metal vocalists who MAY have influenced his style. :)

I wonder what may have been your influence for going after those sound files... Were you thinking of "performing an exorcism," maybe?  :D  :p

I also LOVE how Nihilus speaks in an almost lyrical low-pitched growl. He sounds just like the terrible death metal vocalists who MAY have influenced his style. :)

Psh, death metal owns your soul.

Bah. Most death metal ends up sounding like a gorilla with drums and a microphone.

Then you are obviously listening to the wrong bands :p

Check out something by Opeth, Agalloch, Novembre, Edge of Sanity (especially the forty minute song, Crimson), or Arsis to see some well done.

Like all genres of music, death metal has a ton of crappy artist and some very, very good ones.

Make no mistake, NOTHING owns my soul. :p

White:

About why the player didn't have access to any translation of Nihilus:

Simply put: It's not necessary.

Even though you can't understand what he's saying, you KNOW what he's getting at. And that makes the translation kind of irrelevant.

Leaving his words to the imagination adds to the style, and does so without taking much away from the words (which there are plenty of in this game anyway).

You KNOW he's going after the exile. So why translate that when it might actually take away an element, a dynamic- rather than add something new?

Bah. Most death metal ends up sounding like a gorilla with drums and a microphone.

Then you are obviously listening to the wrong bands :o

Check out something by Opeth, Agalloch, Novembre, Edge of Sanity (especially the forty minute song, Crimson), or Arsis to see some well done.

Like all genres of music, death metal has a ton of crappy artist and some very, very good ones.

I don't think I've heard those bands. My first introduction was Cannibal Corpse, and everything when downhill from there.

For the most part, however, you second statement holds true, though recent R&B holds no value and certain genres, like pop, will forever be crap.