Thinking about Playing NWN

Zach Morris

A game can be easily made more challenging by choosing not to take advantage of all the tricks offered. Dont make a carefully built character, dont use magic thingammabobs, take the weakest least useful henchman and so on..

When I make my first RPG, Ill be shure to inlude a good old DooM-esque nightmare mode that isnt really playable...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hmmm NWN, OC is dreadful, especially considering the AAA nature of its development; SOU is better, if only in being mercifully shorter; HOTU is pretty OK, but only really shines in comparison.

After that I stopped playing NWN. About a year and a bit later I decided to give some of the mods a go.

I was pleasantly suprised, some of them are really good. I honestly think excrucio eternum is one of the best CRPGs I have played for ages. Others are interesting and enjoyable to play.

I dunno about challenging, 'cos thats not really my thing, but I am sure there are mods out there which are virtually impossible.

I think Bio really fell down on the OCs, but overall they made a very powerful piece of software.

A game can be easily made more challenging by choosing not to take advantage of all the tricks offered. Dont make a carefully built character, dont use magic thingammabobs, take the weakest least useful henchman and so on..

When I make my first RPG, Ill be shure to inlude a good old DooM-esque nightmare mode that isnt really playable...

Yeah, when I make my first (well videogame) RPG, I'll come up with some original stuff to put the challenge in. I don't like challenge, just for the sake of challenge. I think challenge in games just makes the choices more important. Like "man this dungeon is really hard I just got a level up, What feat should I choose?" Stuff like that.

Neverwinter Nights is extremely challenging but worthwhile.

:: Spits coffee all over keyboard ::

Hey, put down that crack pipe! NWN is a blocky 3D version of Diablo but not half as much fun. Challenging? My arse.

The story is cleverly written.

Now I know you're trolling, or alternatively you are also freebasing on crystal meth. My six year old nephew could write a less hackneyed and predictable plot.

The third expansion, Hoards of the Underdark, is a masterpiece that brings the best of the whole thing together.

The second expansion. And it isn't a masterpiece but it is a tremedous improvement on the dreck that went before it.

Cheers

MC

Heheheh. Chill out MC, he's a fanboi, came with the rest of them. :p

Gonna have to agree with Monte Carlo here.

Whatever poster #2 in this thread is smoking, I want some of it.

Tee-Hee, 'tis a shame he's such a die-hard fanboi, he has such a cool username too.

TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch = Acronym used by the Loonies The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. It means that even if something appears free, you pay for it one way or the other. The example given in the book that the Acronym came from, was that there were Cafes on the Moon that offered 'Free Lunches' but then made you pay twice the price for drinks, thus negating any savings, and 'paying' for the lunch.

fanboi? What is this new lingo? I call 'em like I see them, however, I am considering that I may have been too hasty with TSL, I only played through once. I REALLY liked the first one and this one just doesn't seem as good to me.

Challenging games are teh way of the dodo, guys. Best get use to it. They don't want to make games "difficult" because the casual gamers won't bite. Nearly every game released nowadays have training wheels on them, and that is on the high difficult settings. I don't see that changing... ever.

NwN has a couple of difficult moments but it's mostly very ho hum walk a bit fight a couple of things walk a bit more fight a couple more things.

No great need for any real tactics (not that you can really with the AI).

NwN is less open to "cleverness" because it dosnt have the range of upgrade options that TSL has. Abuse those and the game is going to be easy but common sense should tell you that anyway..

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I found the Hordes-expansion in a store near me to cost only 14.95 euros. Worth buying? I have the original game, which I played till the third chapter became overpowering in suckiness. Then I began playing the modules. Soon I started to hate the fact that most of the interesting(I don't mean the BEST) ones were HotU-reliant, and therefore unavailable for me. Also, there's been many good reviews of this expansion, and the team, Floodgate, has some people originating from the dream-team Looking Glass working amongst them. Still, I'd like to hear humble gamers's opinion, Bioboards for example are too biased, but I've learned to trust the folks populating this board.

Worth buying?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"Also, there's been many good reviews of this expansion, and the team, Floodgate"

FG has ZERO to do with HOTU. It had very little to do with SOU as well outisde of cutscenes, animations, and specific scripts.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Also, there's been many good reviews of this expansion, and the team, Floodgate"

FG has ZERO to do with HOTU. It had very little to do with SOU as well outisde of cutscenes, animations, and specific scripts.

Really? I've been bull****ted then. Well, atleast it has movies by Rust Monkey.

What, pray tell, was the developer responsible for HotU then?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

On the topic of using the NWN toolset: unless you're experienced with this particular flavor of scripting (thank goodness I fiddled with languages like TADS when I was young) you'll find it very difficult to make mods with a certain degree of techinical depth. I'm not saying the toolset isn't powerful (it is), sometimes I just wish it would be a little more user friendly.

There are so many scripting tools available for the non-scripter at this point that yours is moot.

Obviously my sabbatical from these forums meant that I was unaware that people who actually liked NWN had arrived.

TANSTAAFL lets the cat out of the bag though: he's a builder. Builder's love NWN. It lets them create stuff and tinker with a coded version of Lego to their heart's content. Great.

I'm a player. There's a difference, and trust me from a player's perspective, NWN is a huge, steaming, festering, overrated terrine of horse merde.

So, if you like making mods you'll enjoy NWN. Perversely, if you like playing CRPGs, chances are you won't.

Lastly, what the buggery has Blizzard's record as a developer got to do with whether Diablo was fun or not?

Cheers

MC

Did you miss the announcement that Obsidian (A.K.A. Bio Jr., A.K.A. Obistan) was making NWN2...that was about when they all showed up. :ph34r:

I'm a "wannabe" builder. I don't have the time or patience to build the kind of mod I want to build. I have seen some pretty crappy mods out there and I wouldn't be able to submit a mod that I didn't put together so well, that I refuse to commit to it. Very self-defeating of me.

I was bored with DiabloII faster than I was with NWN for the very reason that NWN at least made the attempt to make user-expansion possible, also, DII had that horrible perspective issue.

"What, pray tell, was the developer responsible for HotU then?"

Bioware.

;)

kirottu said:

My other main problem with NWN mods is that everything in NWN looks the same. The tilesets, the music, the blocky, comedy-attired characters.....

If it had shipped with some different stylistic templates for clothing, tilesets and so on (i.e. high fantasy, gothic fantasy, ancient-themed greco-roman inspired fantasy or whatever, and you could mix and match them) then it wouldn't be so tedious to look at.

Don't get me wrong, I have almost enjoyed some NWN user-created mods. But, in the round, does it make the whole bundle worth investing in primarily for a single-player CRPG experience? Utterly, irrevocably NOT.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

everything in NWN looks the same.

Absolutely!

That's one of its main issues. The tilesets are way too ugly to my taste.

NPCs are okay... I mean, they are good, really. Especially because there are so many custom models/textures in the net.

But the tilesets are crappy, in comparison with BG2 or TOrment.

But again, it's all about the custom modules. THey may have some real oustanding features.