Lock-up after creating new character

Boss, just been browsing through your attached file. Please bear in mind I know squat about nVidia cards but I did notice your current desktop refresh rate is set to 75Hz but 60Hz in-game. Try setting these to the same value (shouldn't matter which you change) and see if this helps.

Have you got any DVD/cd copying software on your PC? There's a sticky on the Lucasarts forums about the problems with some of that software and a workaround for it- the symptoms you have sound similar to that bug. Take two und call me in ze mornink!

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Check for updated sound drivers (most of the problems here seem to be on ATI cards, or on setups with onboard sound). If you have the latest driver, you might want to try an older version of the soundcard driver.

You could also try starting with one of the premade characters - someone else posted that solved the same crash.

Thanks, the sound drivers are the next thing on my list to check when I get home today from work. As for trying a premade character, that is what I was doing. I'll try a custom character just to see what happens. I'll check for that lucasarts sticky as well.

Well I finally found a solution. I went and looked around in the LA forums and finally found a topic that delt with my problem. They explained a temp fix with some file that is associated with DVD games. All I had to do was change the extendion from .dll to .bak. Of course if I want to play my DVD games I have to change it back but at least now I get to finally play KOTOR2. :(

Well I finally found a solution.  I went and looked around in the LA forums and finally found a topic that delt with my problem.  They explained a temp fix with some file that is associated with DVD games.  All I had to do was change the extendion from .dll to .bak.  Of course if I want to play my DVD games I have to change it back but at least now I get to finally play KOTOR2.  :(

If all you did was change the file extention, you should be able to put a cpy of the file in both file formats in the same directory, that way you shouldn't have to worry about making changes to suit the game you want to play.

That should be true but I think the problem is that KOTOR and the .dll file at this time, for a lack of a better term, don't like each other. LA stated that they are trying to work out a solution that would not require someone to change the file extention. I am just happy that I can now play the game since I have just been looking at the Blue Screen of Death for the past 4 days. ;)