Temp fix for most/all crashes

I was crashing very often, at least 3 times an hour, I tried many many things to work around these. Then I thought I would try playing the game in a window and have not crashed once since.

I dont know if Ive just been lucky or not but I would suggest trying this if your like me and dont mind playing games in windows.

Thought for some this could be a satisfactory fix until they release a patch.

Ahhh Kanwen, now this is very interesting. I'm one of the unlucky few who have had nothing but the BSOD after trying just about every suggested fix and then some. Until now...I never considered running the game in windowed mode. Now, it still crashes but I do at least get the graphic of the Ebon Hawk interior prior to the crash which is as far as I've ever been in this game!

Quick question, windowed mode how? I changed the line fullscreen=1 in swkotor2.ini to fullscreen=0. The game didn't actually go into windowed mode. I set resolution to 800x600 since my desktop is at 1024x768. So, clearly, I'm not doing this right. I'm hoping that if I can get windowed mode to work as it should there is a slim chance of success here.

in the config file there are 2 sections with Fullscreen=#

one in display options and one in graphics options

I have the one in display options set to Fullscreen=1 and the one in graphics options set to Fullscreen=0

edit - let me know if this works

Craftsman, your medal is in the post. Got any help / advice? No, didn't think so. Go hijack another post.

I know ur frustrated Boba, but snapping at people and starting arguments (albeit unintentionally) and getting banned will help nobody, and certainly won't make the devs take complants seriousely. Keep it cool. :)

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Darth, sincerely sorry if you or ayone else seeking help on this thread was offended by my last post but for someone to post a completely unrelated smug comment in a tech help thread is also unacceptable. It really serves no useful purpose. You are right, I shouldn't have risen to the bait of course but the other users on this thread helped me to make more progress in a few short hours than a whole weekend of messing around.

In a roundabout way Craftsman's post brought up another issue I feel strongly about. The attitude of hey, it works for me so F.Y. This neither helps to relieve tensions or solve any technical problems. If this is how you feel then fine but please voice that opinion privately.

I'm not making excuses for being rude but wouldn't it have been more appropriate and constructive for Craftsman to perhaps aid other users in having their own install running as smoothly.

Ya, tensions probably are running a little higher than the norm on these boards. I think it's safe to say many ATI users feel shafted on this one. I know every other board has it's share of fanboys and trolls but I'm guessing it's a real tinderbox around here at the moment. Anyway, apologies again, but back on topic, anyone else had any success in windowed versus fullscreen mode or does this spark any fresh ideas?

Darth Ni, if you're referring to an ini for windowed mode(?), I finally got it working by adding an extra command line noted above. It seems the required commands for this mode differ on other users installs (another bug?). It finally worked but with the return of the bsod. What's puzzling and interesting (for me) is that simply changing the fullscreen line does result in a brief glimpse of the in-game graphics, which no other method has produced. Have tried it several times with and without this line and it is reproducible, so possibly not a fluke. Probably clutching at straws here but Hell, I'm desperate. The Day of Refund looms ever closer (Sat) but don't want to quit just yet.

AllowWindowedMode=1 under Graphics. Not everyone seems to need this. In fact some users are stuck in windowed mode and can't get out! Thanks for posting on other thread about the Mysterious Emmitters. Seems there might be differences between localised versions of the game. Probably harmless leftover stuff but doesn't help in trying to track down a cause for the BSOD. Too many variables as it is.

Not sure if this will help others or not but I usually run in 1280 x 1024. I found if I have any of the advanced settings (Anti Aliasing, etc.) on at all I'd get crashes every 3 or 4 transitions. If I saved prior to transitioning the crashes reduced to about once every 20 (wierd huh?). If I left all the advanced settings off aside from the graphics being a bit ordinary the crashes also reduced significantly.

If I had the rez on 1024 x 768 I could set all the advanced settings to max and I'd only have transition crashes once every hour or so. Not many crashes at this rez but it doesn't look as pretty.

If I had rez on any lower I'd have no problems at all. On any setting combo.

I have a fairly high end system and can run most other games at full settings with no problems. I have only had frequent transition crashes with KotoR one and two and they seem to be caused by the same thing because both are affected the same way.

CPU - Intel P4 3.2 GHz

Video - Radeon 9800XT 256Mb

RAM - 2Gb

Tried a variety of graphics settings. It's quite possible they may sort out issues in the game but with the BSOD we can't even get that far. I've got a low end system by todays standards (P4 2.0 GHz, ATI 32 MB, 512 MB RAM) but I can still manage to play every other game smoothly and with decent settings (including KOTOR1). At the moment, I've even got Rome TW maxed out to the full in the settings department, running ever so sweetly, and it isn't supposed to run on anything less than a 64MB graphics card. OK, I'm not saying because everything else works that TSL should but I do suspect this cutscene transition is a bug rather than due to crappy hardware. It does affect high end users too. But, you're quite right about AA causing problems in general, especially on ATI cards. I do believe all of this effort is worth a try but we really, really need some comment from OE/LA regarding a patch right now.

Just out of interest, I didn't really follow the KOTOR boards but would like to know if the devs were this tightlipped about possible patch development?