a bitter sweet moment

So, picked up the pc edition of this a few days back, and have been playing it. It's an interesting game. I really want to love it, I really do. However, it feels... well blatantly unfinished. I mean, the plot is interesting, however it has plot holes you could drive a truck through. Also, throughout the game, there are a few scenes where it seems there are missing bits of dialogue, or scenes that should be there to fill in large blanks/gaps in the story.

Most of this however, does not truly stop you from playing until you reach the end of the game. Without going into details, basically, the end play of the game is.. confusing at best. There are scenes/dialogue that suddenly take place, with no lead in whatsover. You suddenly find your self in a place, with zero explanation of why/how you got there, or precisely what is going on. Are these bugs? Are these scenes missing from release due to a change in the release date of the game? Honestly, it feels like I'm playing a early beta of the game. Countless places where it seems there is placeholder dialogue, or descriptions.

Also fun is some of the scripting problem where dialogue is skipped entirely, or you end up seeing two cutscenes overlayed on top of one another. These are due to gaps in the continuity(logical progression), whereby you have done certain events out of order by choice, and the game can't deal with it.

Anyway, this *could* have been a really great game. Solid plotline, great voice acting. The rest leaves something to be desired. As it is, as soon as I was 10 minutes into the 'end' portion of the game, I knew things were seriously wrong, and have decided to just stop playing. I'll honestly be returning this game and swapping it for something else. This reflects badly on Obsidian, as this is the first(and only) title I have purchased from them.

I agree with you, urikkiru. This game is wholely unfinished. The last few portions of the game are slapped together shoddily and it was obviously rushed.

There is absolutely no closure, whatesoever, with your crewmates. No dialogue at all, period. The game design is so bad here that when you land on Malachor V you don't even know if your companions are in the Ebon Hawk or not. Horrible design.

Between the crashing bugs, the unfinished quests, and the pathetic ending, don't feel bad at all about returning the game.

I will only buy KOTOR 3 if it's done by Bioware. Sorry, but developers get far too much leeway when it comes to bugs and crappy game design, and Obsidian has had their chance, and blew it.

Regardless of the reasons (money, LucasArts rushed it, etc.), the end result will always be the same: the release of an unfinished game with a lackluster, patchwork ending that has no soul.

You can't change that echo in the force, I'm afraid.

I agree with you, urikkiru.  This game is wholely unfinished.  The last few portions of the game are slapped together shoddily and it was obviously rushed. 

There is absolutely no closure, whatesoever, with your crewmates.  No dialogue at all, period.  The game design is so bad here that when you land on Malachor V you don't even know if your companions are in the Ebon Hawk or not.  Horrible design.

Between the crashing bugs, the unfinished quests, and the pathetic ending, don't feel bad at all about returning the game. 

I will only buy KOTOR 3 if it's done by Bioware.  Sorry, but developers get far too much leeway when it comes to bugs and crappy game design, and Obsidian has had their chance, and blew it. 

Regardless of the reasons (money, LucasArts rushed it, etc.), the end result will always be the same:  the release of an unfinished game with a lackluster, patchwork ending that has no soul.

You can't change that echo in the force, I'm afraid.

I'm not going to say that it isn't Obsidian's fault...because I don't know...but keep in mind Obsidian is a fledgeling company, and LA is a monster publisher. It could have just been LA saying, we want this game out in February, and Obsidian says that they need another couple of months...LA says no, what do you do? You can't exactly default on the contract.

It could have been Obsidian screwing up too, but I don't suggest you give up on a developer simply because they have a shaky start and don't make a sequel that is as good as the 'game of the year' in many publications. Granted, there are a lot of things that could use fixing, but all of the problems (the ones I noticed anyway) are simply things that show they needed more time. The base of a "knock-your-socks-off" game is there. In fact, up until the end game, I was totally enthralled, even with the bugs. This company made a decent game on their first shot. I think with another couple months for development they could have made a game that would have blown the original out of the water.

Think about how cool the game would have been with fewer bugs (and remember Kotor1 had some HORRIBLE bugs when it came out...without the patch, Taris was totally unplayable for me...i couldn't even move) and a better endgame. If they fixed those two problems, this game would have been awesome. It bugs me when people say, "well, they did a good job for 90%, but they choked on that last 10%, so I won't play their games anymore". These are smart guys, give them the benefit of the doubt that they will learn from their mistakes, budget their time better, and get more QA people to test their game.

But they HAD an end... a very cool end. (Go look in the Spoliers section)

I had come to terms with Sith Lords... made my peace. I was disappointed with my first playthrough. The second and third went much better and I was actually happy with the game. I understood that time was a factor and that some things (quests and polish) got cut for time. I liked the influence system and the cool new toys. I liked the NPCs, although they needed some polish as well. The romances were ... so-so... but I figured that was time related as well. I have an imagination... I can use it.

But, now that this wonderful ending has shown up... and the fact that it was voiced and everything, tells me that some one canned it.... and that some one should in turn be canned.

I am sorry. If the game had come out WITH THAT ENDING a lot of the moaning and complaing about glitchy or cut quests and bugs and lack of polish would have gone away. We would have been too stunned by the ending to even remember that we had had problems before that.

Grrrrrrrr. :p

Amazingly last night I stumbled onto some information about Malachor on wikipedia or whatever it's called. It explains what happend to the planet, and allows you to better put together what happend.

If I knew the spoiler tags, I'd drop them in here and tell you.

I really liked the game and i only partially agree witht he statement that the main plot have many holes.

there are some unfinished things, but are just a pair of side plots.

I agree that in the end there is some confusion, there are some missing parts, but again the main plot is still quite solid and you get all the answers you where looking for.

During the game i actually tried to gather as much infos as possible from my comrades and others npcs, and was able to figure out what was happening, the story itself is really beautifull and acute.... is not the usual save the princess from the bad big dragon.... is made from lights and shadows and i really appreciated it.

Probably it can seem confusing if the game is rushed or not much attention is payed to the events, but i think is more than an acceptable price to pay for a more mature and dark story.

I mean, the plot is interesting, however it has plot holes you could drive a truck through. Also, throughout the game, there are a few scenes where it seems there are missing bits of dialogue, or scenes that should be there to fill in large blanks/gaps in the story.

Would you care to elaborate?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I saw no plot holes... everything was explained that started int he game however it is left at a cliff hanger on whats going to happen next...

Give me a plot hole... and i will give you the answer  you missed:)

Hopefully these spoiler tags work, here we go!

1) In the beginning of the game, where Kreia fights against the broken, charred body of a sith lord, she loses her hand, etc.. You run on ahead to get to the Ebon Hawk. When you arrive and take off, Kreia is just magically there. There is no explanation as to how this occurred, as you didn't wait to take off, and there was no bit where she boarded.

2) At the end of the game after Kreia kills the 3 jedi masters, you return to your ship to find her gone, and also the Handmaiden. It was said repeatedly that you could not return to Telos without the access codes, and the handmaiden would not give them to you. She is not physically there now, and you still fly to Telos and dock? Yeah, right.

3) The entire bit where you return to Malachor V. It is *extremely* obvious there are missing scenes, bits, etc... There is dialogue there that begins that has no basis, has never been alluded too. You are just *there*. It feels boring, slapped together, and extremely unfinished. Ie. 'we did this in 2-3 weeks so we could meet our release date, oh well, no one will notice until the end of the game, so it won't hurt inital sales'.

There are a multitude of other things that are more minor plot holes, or places where the plot is just extremely weak. For example, the fight at the end of with Atris? She's supposed to be this powerful jedi, and all it takes is one hit from my lightsaber to end the fight? At the bit where she turns to the Sith is weak, but even weaker is how easily she is returned from the dark side. There are a ton of things like this, I would have to go through taking extensive notes to list them all. This is not counting all the scripting bugs where the game assumes you have done something, or seen dialogue when you have not to, or the bugs where npc's you're talking to fail to walk through a door, and you end up talking to a wall.

That's enough don't you think? Point made?

No

1) In the beginning of the game, where Kreia fights against the broken, charred body of a sith lord, she loses her hand, etc.. You run on ahead to get to the Ebon Hawk. When you arrive and take off, Kreia is just magically there. There is no explanation as to how this occurred, as you didn't wait to take off, and there was no bit where she boarded.

She pops up all over the place with out explaination. She is a Sith Lord, a sneeky one at that.

2) At the end of the game after Kreia kills the 3 jedi masters, you return to your ship to find her gone, and also the Handmaiden. It was said repeatedly that you could not return to Telos without the access codes, and the handmaiden would not give them to you. She is not physically there now, and you still fly to Telos and dock? Yeah, right.

Kreia tells Atris you are comming, she probably lets you in.

3) The entire bit where you return to Malachor V. It is *extremely* obvious there are missing scenes, bits, etc... There is dialogue there that begins that has no basis, has never been alluded too. You are just *there*. It feels boring, slapped together, and extremely unfinished. Ie. 'we did this in 2-3 weeks so we could meet our release date, oh well, no one will notice until the end of the game, so it won't hurt inital sales'.

Although i admit that there are little bits that don't make sense, alot of can be explained by the fact that Malachor is a very important location in the Exiles past, alot of dodgy stuff went on here. If you could be even more specific then i could give you a better response.

There are a multitude of other things that are more minor plot holes, or places where the plot is just extremely weak. For example, the fight at the end of with Atris? She's supposed to be this powerful jedi, and all it takes is one hit from my lightsaber to end the fight?

That is just game mechanics.

At the bit where she turns to the Sith is weak, but even weaker is how easily she is returned from the dark side.

She falls because of the exile she is jealous, which is a path to the darkside. Also she is stubborn unwilling to change her thinking, again a path to the DS. So whats weak about that?

Sorry have not had much need for spoiler tags until now. :p

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I saw no plot holes... everything was explained that started int he game however it is left at a cliff hanger on whats going to happen next...

Hopefully these spoiler tags work, here we go!

There are a multitude of other things that are more minor plot holes, or places where the plot is just extremely weak. For example, the fight at the end of with Atris? She's supposed to be this powerful jedi, and all it takes is one hit from my lightsaber to end the fight? At the bit where she turns to the Sith is weak, but even weaker is how easily she is returned from the dark side. There are a ton of things like this, I would have to go through taking extensive notes to list them all. This is not counting all the scripting bugs where the game assumes you have done something, or seen dialogue when you have not to, or the bugs where npc's you're talking to fail to walk through a door, and you end up talking to a wall.

1) The party had not an easy path, they had to fight their way throught the "fuel pump" while Kreia simply asked Sion to carry her there, as it happened i tought wtf? but it makes a lot of sense later in the game when you see how Sion is a Kreia's puppet.

2) T3 downloaded the jedi academy data, is probable that actually it knew the codes.

3) I agree, even if the main story is still very solid as you really get what you are there for, some parts are missing... as you can see in the spoiler forum Obsidian had great plans for that part and is really sad that they had not the time to develop it well :p

i hope the spoiler tag will work too eheh :)

Sorry, only just started using the spoiler tags.

I like everything about the game, it has a good storyline, but not as dramatic as k1. There were many improvements about the game like adding robes that actually looked more real. But I would've liked it more if there were more Jedi vs Dark Jedi instead of me killing every single one of them. The only part that I really was disappointed was

the ending