Knights of the Old Republic 2: Good or Bad?

What did you think of KOTOR 2?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of KOTOR 2?

• The Sith Lords was better than the original
    • It was on level footing with the first
    • It was ok
    • It was worse than the original
    • It was terrible
    • This game was so bad I didn't finish it

I was just wondering what you guys thought of Obsidians Entertainments's first hit? (at least I thought it was absolutey awesome)

I would like to thank Obsidian Entertainment for an incredible game that deserves every award it was given and then some.

I would love to see Obsidian develop KOTOR in the future, and eagerly await the new and improved KOTOR 3 whenever and by whom ever it will be made. (Come on you know that they are going to do another one, the question is when).

I'll have to abstain from voting, since I don't think I can really categorise my feelings, but this woul dhave been a really good game if it had been released in finished form, sans bugs, plot holes, rushed endings, missing quests, loose ends and so on. Without all that, it would have been better than KotOR 1. With them, the game is a major disappointment.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Is it even fair to compare the two? KOTOR came out first, was made by a better known developer, and forced the gaming industry to re-evaluate RPGs. It's not fair to state that one is superior over the other.

Fnord.

It's a "worth playing once, but not twice" kind of game. It's not "bad", it's worth playing, but it's forgetable.

The game was rushed and it suffered, often badly, for it. It almost feels like a cheap expansion at times. I LOVED the "Empire" feel of the game, tho. Prolly would have been great if they had another 6 months or longer.

What this series needs is a new engine and someone who gets enough time to take the series to new heights.

Very true Kumquatq3, strangely though I have found that after the initial "shock" of the first playthrough, it seemed less and less horrible. Its like at first it semmed like it was just poorly written, but then later like it was just implemented poorly

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I will admit that my choices were pretty terrible, but from what I had read on other post it sounded as if a lot of people didn't really care for it. I do agree that with more time and money it could have been better by leaps and bounds, but I stand with my opinion that The Sith Lords was better than the original. It has everything that made the first one great + Kreia. Say what you want, but Kreia is the character that really makes the game.

Very true Kumquatq3, strangely though I have found that after the initial "shock" of the first playthrough, it seemed less and less horrible. Its like at first it semmed like it was just poorly written, but then later like it was just implemented poorly

i felt similar, although in my case the more i played the more i began to enjoy it.

i think for me the first play through left quite a few questions, but most (not all) were answered after a couple more playthroughs and by doing things differently than before.

Say what you want, but Kreia is the character that really makes the game.

Yes she definetly is and had this game not been in the same time period id say kreia was revan reincarnated.Her profile fits that of revan having been both LS & DS.Just picture her at the emporers age.Obsidian gets good marks for making a game that has a very female dominating presence throughout the game.Methinks someone has women on there dev team. :-

wow, so many votes for being better than the original.

I liked the original better. It was a little more challenging (especially in the early going on Taris). And didn't have a screwed up ending.

The writing in the sith lords makes no sense. They ran out of time and left many plots out at the end.

I think that the K2 story would have ended up better than the original if they'd had the time to flesh it out. The game's exploration of moral nuances in George Lucas's black-and-white galaxy was nothing short of spectacular. Fill in the plot holes and add the kind of character depth to party members that we saw in K1 (extended dialogue trees, frequent and spontaneous NPC interaction), and you'd have a far superior product. Even the deleted scenes that have been uncovered would have gone a long way. Unfortunately -- and I don't mean to criticize anyone for this, because I don't know what went on behind the scenes -- we got a second-draft story. This game is still nearly on a par with its predecessor, but it could have been so much more.

I'd say it was on a level footing.

The voice acting was on an equal par, as was the music.

The darker story was lsightly superior to the original, but the original tops enviroments.

The endings were about the same. K1 had the better ending scenes, but K2, in that you sort of knew the final destinoes of most of your allies.

All in all, I would say K2 is on level footing with the original, but K1 just beats K2 on ending.

Unfortunately, it's a weaker game than the first.

1. It's still too damn easy.

2. Plenty of bugs this time around.

3. Force powers are still inanely overpowered.

They took all the faults of the original, added a few more in terms of bugs and overall made a worse game.

This isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, but I was let down considerably.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Well, I'm keeping my vote until I finish it, but so far, I like TSL better. I find it to have a more mature tone, and it's waaaay more cinematic than the first, and in a good way. I know I used to say that people should watch movies instead of wanting 'cinematic games', but I really like how stuff happens not only in front of the PC.

And um, the fact that I haven't run into any bugs and have only crashed 3 times has probably got something to do with it, too. :("

Yep, I'm definitely buying this one. If only there was some challenge to the game...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I would say that overall, KotOR 1 is better due to the better presentation and flow. Although KotOR II had a better story, dialogue and characters.

P.S. Has anyone read this? quite infuriating that it wasn't included, it was like someone thought that it was too conclusive and wanted KotOR II to end more openly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I would say that overall, KotOR 1 is better due to the better presentation and flow. Although KotOR II had a better story, dialgue and characters.

About the first sentance: right and thats all signs of polish. Seriously tho, think how much those "misc" aspects of the game helped K1. About the second: I disagree with the story part. I'd say their about even. I'm not going to give K2 credit for the story they were trying to tell, only the story that they told.

IMO, the game was carried by the dialogue and characters.

P.S. Has anyone read this? quite infuriating that it wasn't included, it was like someone thought that it was too conclusive and wanted KotOR II to end more openly.

all of that would have been VERY nice.

if only they had 6 more months, give or take.

As for ending openly, they didn't mind killing off most characters in K1. I think they just ran out of time.

I would say that overall, KotOR 1 is better due to the better presentation and flow. Although KotOR II had a better story, dialgue and characters.

About the first sentance: right and thats all signs of polish. Seriously tho, think how much those "misc" aspects of the game helped K1. About the second: I disagree with the story part. I'd say their about even. I'm not going to give K2 credit for the story they were trying to tell, only the story that they told.

IMO, the game was carried by the dialogue and characters.

all of that would have been VERY nice.

if only they had 6 more months, give or take.

As for ending openly, they didn't mind killing off most characters in K1. I think they just ran out of time.

Who knows, but KotOR II feels only half-finished after reading the contents of dialogs.tlk. Sure KotOR 1 had one ending cut from the final product, but it didn't affect the overall feel, unlike KotOR II.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy