Is a gig enough?

LordRaven

Is 1 GB of memory enough to play most games. I just got star wars galaxies as a valentines gift but it is bogging down my sytem. If i buy a 1 GB mem upgrade will that be enough to play at a normal rate. Sorry I am usaualy a console gamer and never used my computer for anything besides work stuff.

1 GB of physical memory is definitely not enough by modern standards (most computers today have more than 20 GB)... You may be able to play most of the older games, but the newer generation of PC games are requiring more and more space, so it would be wise to purchase more than one extra GB of memory (as there many good games - especially RPGs - that take up more than 1 GB of space)...

He said memory not hard drive space. :o

A gig is more than enough for any game. Even 512 is sufficient providing you have a decent processor and graphics card.

But then again I'm of the opinion you could never have enough RAM. If you have the money to stick another gig of ram in there, go for it.

Thats the fun with PC's (w00t)

So many variables that affect performance. What CPU and Gfx card are you running. Especially the latter can have significant impact your games (when you already have 1 gig of memory) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info and I did mean RAM. So sorry about the confusion. I also picked up a ATI TECHNOLOGIES

RADEON 9200 128 MB AGP8X Graphics Card

Is that worth it or should I take it back if I have a GB of ram. I have the base grafix card that comes with the DEll dimension 4600 currently. It seems to be fine but the guy at dell thought it would be better to get the ATI one.

Thanks for the info and I did mean RAM. So sorry about the confusion. I also picked up a ATI TECHNOLOGIES 

Is that worth it or should I take it back if I have a GB of ram. I have the base grafix card that comes with the DEll dimension 4600 currently. It seems to be fine but the guy at dell thought it would be better to get the ATI one.

...that Dell guy was right, but e'en that vid card ain't really all that grand; hells, the 9600's be outdated nowadays...if'n ya ain't much o' a PC gamer, then all fine an' well, but if ya wants ta start more PC gamin', than I's'd go wit' a gig o' quality RAM (OCZ, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, etc) an' at least a halfways-decent Radeon (ATI) 9600 or a Geforce (nVIDIA) 6600... :blink:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I'd go HERE and post in their hardware section, ask them what to do. Also, FYI, more'n 1.5 GB of system memory (RAM) and you can lose performance for tasks such as gaming, good for rendering, but anything else, and you can actually get slowdowns, IIRC, it was something about it taking extra time to dump what's in it if you're doing menial everyday stuff.

Quick question though, from the way you were speaking it, it sounds like you're buying a prefabbed PC from Dell...if you're doing this, please don't. Find some kid down the way from you, pay him a pittance to build it after ordering the parts, and you'll save a load of cash. That is, if you're not adventurous enough to try and build it yourself.

...that Dell guy was right, but e'en that vid card ain't really all that grand; hells, the 9600's be outdated nowadays...if'n ya ain't much o' a PC gamer, then all fine an' well, but if ya wants ta start more PC gamin', than I's'd go wit' a gig o' quality RAM (OCZ, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, etc) an' at least a halfways-decent Radeon (ATI) 9600 or a Geforce (nVIDIA) 6600... ;)

Mushkin's nice, I've got a GB of their PC4000 RAM in my box right now (2 sticks, 512 MB each), good stuff. I also thought about getting Corsair (specifically the overclocking models), but it came down to price for performance, Mushkin was better at the time. :(

I believe that LordRaven meant a gig of RAM, not hard drive space.  And the answer to that question in my opinion would be yes, a gig is enough.

No wonder I thought the question to be strange... Seems like I've misread it. My pardons, LordRaven. :thumbsup:

I believe that LordRaven meant a gig of RAM, not hard drive space.  And the answer to that question in my opinion would be yes, a gig is enough.

No wonder I thought the question to be strange... Seems like I've misread it. My pardons, LordRaven. :(

Nothing to be sorry for I probably did not explain myself correctly

Mushkin's nice, I've got a GB of their PC4000 RAM in my box right now (2 sticks, 512 MB each), good stuff.  I also thought about getting Corsair (specifically the overclocking models), but it came down to price for performance, Mushkin was better at the time.  :)

...if yer lookin' fer the sweetest OCin' ram, look no further than OCZ, 'specially theys Voltage Extreme series... :p

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

"you can never have too much ram". This is a popular misconception. Every Os that microsft has put out has had ram liitations and I belive at least before the miriad of patches was 2GB for XP, so anything above what the OS can adress is a waste.

Well all of my stuff came in last night. After about 20 frustrating minutes of try to change static sensitive componets. ( I was constantly toching my kitchen sink to discharge whatever static electricity I had. I think it just made me look like an idiot. I was able to get the RAM and Graphics Card installed. I must say that the results are amazing. I now have 1.25 GB of RAM and my computers graphics are sharper and more clear than I thought it could ever be. It is like when I got my first HI-def TV. Thank You all for your support and advice. :thumbsup: