General Discussion About The Game

Well just wanted to see really what other peopler thought of the sequal i got hooked on kotor and it was great when i got past the driver problems with my ATI. It has to be said thou it ran fine on my Nvidia card but still the game shouldn't be designed for one type of chipset its a disadvantage to many pc users with ATI cards.

Despite this kotor didnt have many bugs in that i noticed when i played it through. My excitement for the sequel was building and i was devistated to have to wait longer than the Americans to obtain the game.

However when i did get it last friday i installed it and then started to play it everything was going well and i was really enjoying it until i left for telos where the video kept crashing and bring up the windows crash dialog it took me 3 attempts of reloading the game to get past the movie and now it continues to randomly crash

Also the swoop racing is terrible iv done quite alot on Telos and want to wind swoop races to raise the 2000 credits to free the dancer as i will never surrender to the dark side. I cannot do this thou because when i took a practice run i had to forfit because i didnt know how to jump and my swoop got stuck now whenever i go to race my swoop is glued to the ceiling and i cant pick up any boosts.

The game is majorly bugged come to think of it when i 1st started playing my character got stuck in a wall and i had to save and then load to get myself out of the situation.

Dispite the bugs the gameplay is everything i had expect just as good as kotor and gripping i love it and could play it for hours if i didnt get so frustrated by the random crashes and little things such as the swoop racing stopping me from pursuing the path i wish to choose, because of this it makes me not wish to play it because its just not worth it if i cant mould my character the way i want him to be, but waiting for a patch is just too annoying as iv allready waited so long for the sequal to arrive!

Anyway what are other peoples thoughts on the game?

Jon,

I just picked up the PC version last night. I loaded it with anticipattion and set forth to playing my new Jedi. As I read the history and storylines, I found myself kind of disappointed. In KotOR 1, Revan did NOT go to the Dark Side. He slayed his former pupil and saved the Republic and the galaxy. Now, I am supposed to believe that this did not actually happen? For me, this is NOT KotOR 2, but rather KotOR: A Totally Different Story and Timeline.

I have so many questions in game that are not options for information and history, I am getting frustrated trying to follow what little they do give me. I am "the last Jedi", yet here is this old woman with whom I have a "force connection" and seems pretty much a Jedi to me. That makes two, right off the bat. I am NOT the last Jedi. *POOF* There goes my suspension of disbelief.

I have only made it to Telos, and am seeing a pattern developing. I may be assuming way beyond my knowledge, but I get the feeling this game go thusly:

1) Arrive at new planet.

2) Be held/imprisoned for some reason.

3) Lose the Ebon Hawk.

4) Find and/or repair Ebon Hawk.

5) On to the next stop.

6) Repeat.

Granted, I have only been to 2 stops thus far, but the similarities are enormously similar.

HK. What a disappointment. He "looked" like old HK, but definitely not him. The voice was similar, but not quite the same. The attitude seemd "fake". Something got lost in the transfer to Obsidian.

I bought the game to play a Jedi. How did I start? As a droid. yay... I think I am 6th or 7th level already and still no lightsaber on the horizon. Will I go through half the game saberless?

On the positive side, the User Interface is much improved! I did have a couple of "medpak" mishaps (like healing an already fully healed character), but overall, I like the UI. I like the added powers, though I have not tried any of them out, yet. From the little experience I have had, I like how the "workbench/labbench" system works. It makes so much sense to be able to "undo" something you do not need and scavenge their components to make other, more useful items.

Comparisons:

KotoOR 1 I knew who I was (yet proved to be wrong later on), a Scout working for the Republic. I had a missions: Get off of the planet I was on; Rescue Bastilla. While doing this, I find I am a Jedi. Next mission is to go to Dantooine and become a Jedi. Then came the Star Maps. There was rhyme AND reason for my journeys.

KotOR 2 I have no clue who I am, I am a Jedi with no powers, I have no missions except to run away from Sith, and I just do not feel my character has any direction whatsoever. My "guide" here seems to be more frustrating than a help. She has such an attitude it is tough to be "good" with her. I had a "force link" with Bastilla. Now I have one with this unknown person? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Bastilla's storyline was awesome. I do not see this storyline with Keira(?) going the same route. I could be totally off, as these are my very first impressions.

Overall, I am disappointed, though not outraged. KotOR 2 just fell far short of my own personal expectations. I figured as much as KotOR 1 was the best game I had played to date. This is just first impressions, remember. I have much more to play.

My thoughts are (Xbox) the game is better then KotOR1 over all.

Like anyone I can find areas to improve on to be sure but I just had such a good experience with the game over all that nit picking the faults come really low on the list.

I do agree I didnt like the new Swoop racing and hope they go back to the original style for part 3 (when and if its made).

As I said in a different thread, only encountered 2 types of bugs in 8 complete play throughs (2 slow downs after excessive hours playing (rebooting fixed this) and once the bug where you can not defeat the handmaiden (and she cant defeat you). Rebooting also fixed that bug). I definately encountered far more bugs in KotOR1. Both games however were bug free compared to other games that hit the market so over all im happy with the relative bug free release in both.

Storyline was DEFINATELY more advanced in TSL and that made for a much greater experience over all.

Ending (Malacor V and on) was weaker then I would have liked in TSL, but again when looking at the whole picture, thats just a small small portion of the entire product!

Over all I think Obsidian did a fantastic job (which is amaz ing as it is a sequel and sequels rarely ever live up to the hype when compared to the first game of the series).

Cant wait for Part 3 to be made and come out ;)

I see what you mean, the resemblances in some instances look like they've just played the 1st game and thought, hey that bit was good we'll stick it in the begining of the sequal aswell.

I thought the storyline on kotor was great how you were once lord of the sith, only to be captured and turned against the evil you once stood for, and to defend the light just as revan intended to before the dark side took him, it was twisted but made it interesting.

Hopefully as i (we) get further into the sequal it will develop as good as the 1st did allthough the stuff they get you to do at the moment is fairly similar to the first game. Despise this im hoping the storyline will keep me hook but if it turns out to not be very good i wont be happy with my purchase.

The fact it crashes constantly when my system is more than powerful enough to handle it, i just decided to give the swoop races a miss and move on to the surface of telos caus i wana see whether the game could get any more annoying.

"Well i calmed myself down and realised punctuation is very important"

+1 wisdom bestowed upon you, and +2 persuasion bestowed upon tentamus.

and a -1 int penalty for volourn. :)

Influences Lost: Volourn

I don't know why I had to do that

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"KotOR 1, Revan did NOT go to the Dark Side. He slayed his former pupil and saved the Republic and the galaxy"

About Revan apparently being Dark Side, that can only happen if you told Atton Revan was Dark Side. If you told him "I was led to believe that Revan saved the Republic," then Revan was light sided.

"Well i calmed myself down and realised punctuation is very important"

+1 wisdom bestowed upon you, and +2 persuasion bestowed upon tentamus.

and a -1 int penalty for volourn. :wub:

Influences Lost: Volourn

I don't know why I had to do that

Laozi : DS points gained.

It's contagious. :wub:

manthing2.jpg

I was thinking about this last night AlBQuirky and i relised i forgot to say anything about the last jedi, it is a bit wierd how your meant to be the last jedi but yet kreia is a jedi as well even says shes a Jedi Counsular so you cant be the last jedi, which kind of defeats the storyline right from the start.

However i think that in the early script of the game it does say they are not sure how many jedi is left and it is believed you are the last which may explain kreia being a jedi, but i think she is the the one that tells you this so oviously she must know your not the last jedi. Not very well thought through really

I also thought of another major resemblence from kotor one of the main parts from kotor cant believe i missed it last time. In TSL you have a bond with kreia, wonder where they took that from?

If they ever make kotor 3 and put another bond in if this is vital to all the games would be interesting if they place it between you if you are on the light side and your enemy the sith lord or something like that so you can feel the dark side constantly and are forever tempted. Could lead to many twists.

Also Bulgaroctonus the it didnt happen in kotor but the backgroud you get from the text which build the picture of what happened before you awoke in the space ship as a scout tells you that you were once Revan and you apprentance Malak, you worked as Jedi but then relised the teachings were weak and pointless so they move to the dark side they were two of the most powerful jedi in the galaxy and Revan became the sith lord, then after time the republic invaded his ship, Malak fired apon it and so on, and the republic captured you and turned you against them.

So even thou you do not preform it in the game taking into consideration the story they tell you about the happenings of before you awake on the shift you were once a jedi on the LS then became the sith lord DS and then fought against the DS on the LS to kill Malak

"KotOR 1, Revan did NOT go to the Dark Side. He slayed his former pupil and saved the Republic and the galaxy"

About Revan apparently being Dark Side, that can only happen if you told Atton Revan was Dark Side.  If you told him "I was led to believe that Revan saved the Republic," then Revan was light sided.

True. I tell Atton "I heard Revan was good and saved the galaxy" and he replies, "Could be. Lots of rumors floating around." That just does not cut it for me. Also, Revan was a woman? When *I* was Revan, he was a man. I told Atton this, also, but he had some other flippant comment about that and more rumors.

I just see a huge gap here. Had I played an evil, darkside female Revan, all would be well with the world. Instead, I played a good, lightside male Revan and nothing is right. The Galaxy I worked so hard to save is now all tattered and ruined. I was Revan. I killed Malak. I trashed Korriban and the academy. The Star Forge was demolished. Now, it seems time has played tricks on me and apparently this is a different galaxy. Master Vrook (The Yoda twin) handed me my medal at the festivities afterwards.

The big thing is I am unsure if I am supposed to act like I am Revan in this game or not. Do I know what happened? Nothing indicates I should know. Many of the dialogue choices I see I find myself wondering if my character knows the information given as choices.

To touch on the "last Jedi" bit again... Apparently, I have not been with the order for about 10 years. I have been stripped by the council of my force connection. I think it is Kreia (or possibly one of the NPCs on Telos) that talks about so many Jedi leaving the order after Malak and Revan wreak their havok. I definitely am not the last Jedi in the order, having been kicked out years ago. Am I to believe that no other Jedi in the galaxy exists, in or out of the order? No. Because my mentor is a Jedi.

As I said in the first post, I am just beginning. There is much to the game I have yet to experience. I just hope things start falling into place and I begin to feel I have a direction soon. A reason for being.

PS: And what was with that losing the hand thing?

About Revan apparently being Dark Side, that can only happen if you told Atton Revan was Dark Side.  If you told him "I was led to believe that Revan saved the Republic," then Revan was light sided.

True.  I tell Atton "I heard Revan was good and saved the galaxy" and he replies, "Could be.  Lots of rumors floating around."  That just does not cut it for me. Also, Revan was a woman?  When *I* was Revan, he was a man.  I told Atton this, also, but he had some other flippant comment about that and more rumors.

I just see a huge gap here.  Had I played an evil, darkside female Revan, all would be well with the world.  Instead, I played a good, lightside male Revan and nothing is right.  The Galaxy I worked so hard to save is now all tattered and ruined.  I was Revan.  I killed Malak.  I trashed Korriban and the academy.  The Star Forge was demolished.  Now, it seems time has played tricks on me and apparently this is a different galaxy.  Master Vrook (The Yoda twin) handed me my medal at the festivities afterwards.

The big thing is I am unsure if I am supposed to act like I am Revan in this game or not.  Do I know what happened?  Nothing indicates I should know.  Many of the dialogue choices I see I find myself wondering if my character knows the information given as choices.

To touch on the "last Jedi" bit again...  Apparently, I have not been with the order for about 10 years.  I have been stripped by the council of my force connection.  I think it is Kreia (or possibly one of the NPCs on Telos) that talks about so many Jedi leaving the order after Malak and Revan wreak their havok.  I definitely am not the last Jedi in the order, having been kicked out years ago.  Am I to believe that no other Jedi in the galaxy exists, in or out of the order?  No.  Because my mentor is a Jedi.

Atton doesn't know ****. There is no definite Revan. Atton makes those flippy comments cause he doesn't know. But you do. Obsidian reconstructs Revan based on your answers. They do it in a fashion so you might not recognize it. When Atton asks you about Revan, the game is going to record your answer. If you tell Atton he is right, then the game is going to remember that Revan was a DS Female. If you tell him he's wrong, and that Revan was a LS Male, or LS Female, then the game is going to remember that your Revan was just that and the game is going to progress from there. Just because Atton says one thing, doesn't mean that's the end all be all definition of Revan.

Missing Content

I first played as fast as i could, merely folfowing the main quests, and finished it in about 24 hours. I finished the "boring" :) "goody-two-Shoes" light side and was very happy to start anew and show the universe the power of the dark side. I saved the HK-47 story for my dark Jedi. But after running around with him through all maps, i could not find the droid factory.

After reading the spoiler and learning that it was droped from the Game (or is it in the PC-Version), i was quite disapointed, with HK-47 beiing my favorite Char from KOTOR I. :lol::-

I understand that not everything the devellopers think of makes it to Final game, but then they should have left the dialogue out, in which HK-47 mentioned the HK-50 droid Factory. Or is this quest being patched, so we just have to wait a few weeks (Its hard, but I

Kotor2 is a decent game but IMO the original is far superior.

In fact, the only thing K2 does better is that skills are more useful.

-Dialog is good for the most part but I don't care for the NPCs that speak it. And there were too many responses sometimes. Conversations went on forever. I was bored to tears by Kreia's ramblings.

-Story was passable. Nothing more, nothing less.

-They should have kept the lvl 20 cap. leveling is ludicrously fast in this game.

-You take control of other characters too many times. The Leviathan was acceptable, this is overkill.

-The Random Loot is obnoxious. Absolutely terrible. Not only did I get items off bodies that should not have them, but duplicates of the same unique item. Ridiculous.

-Item creation: too complicated for its own good. It was a chore to use the workbench. Bioware kept it simple and it worked. So if it ain't broke don't fix it. same for swoop racing: completely ruined. K1 did it better. Another example of too much complexity spoiling the fun.

I can't complain about bugs though. I experienced very few, none of which stalled my progress. more annoying was the AI which was pretty dumb at times.

anyway, KOTOR is the better game. I liked TSL but it lacks the escapism and Star Wars feel of the original. And I'm in no hurry to replay it.

Kefka. You scare me. Outside of you not having as buggy as version as me; your experience with the game almost completely mirrors mine. :)

Though I don't mind the item creation too much.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Revan did NOT go to the Dark Side.

Says who?

Heh... the guy I picked for K2 looked like a 5 year older version of the guy I picked in K1 with longer hair(He was the white dude with the 'flat top'.

I spent the entire game thinking I was Revan.