Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Icewind Dale 2 hard?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Jumjalum

Jumjalum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 574 posts
Man I would start another game of IWD2 just to look at those spell icons, but I'm too engrossed in WoW.

Dranoel

Dranoel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts

I've been reading a lot of RPG-forums recently and the general concensus seems to be that IWD2 was a great bit harder than all the other Infinity games. I can't understand that. Sure it got some very strategic battles and you had to sometimes use your party's skills to their maximum effect, but in overall I consider it to be almost a cakewalk compared to BG 2 and 1. BG 2 had insane spell-spamming battles and hard mages and on the other hand, BG 1 was a newbie's nightmare(and mage's <_< ), having one of the hardest starts ever. I remember dieing several times in the first wolf encounter. And the undead wolf pack? Frickin' insane.

What do you CRPG-players extraordinaries think? Though or not?

(have my posts suddenly become a great bit longer?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those set battles and cutsequences are a pain in the arse (don't believe me? - try HoF mode fairy boy!) The numerous ambushes where you enter maps to find yourself facing an already arrayed force, whilst your own units are too often arranged in a random and ridiculous order - anyone else who has entered the orc ambush on the shaengarne or entered the orc stronghold proper with your mages positioned at the front of your party for no explicable reason, should understand what I mean. The more times you play through the game the more enemies you seem to face. The first time I played through chapter 1 there weren't too many enemies. The third or fourth time when I went through there seemed to be twice the numbers against me and when I tried HoF mode the numbers were ridiculous!

BG1 is frustrating cos your party is so crap but if you stick to the main roads down to Nashkel you should servive relatively unscathed. If you choose the right dialogue responses you can even dispose of Bassilus ridiculously easily and net yourself an easy 5K.
BG2 has some hard encounters. Mages are always a problem for me mainly cos I never could understand which spell dispelled what protection. Ultimately though I would just charge in with swords swinging, vaguely cast a dispel, pierce magic and/or breach in the general direction and let the melee characters remove any stoneskin, mirror images etc with the pointy bits of their swords - it seemed to work. The only real problems I ever seemed to have were against the dragons who just seemed designed to wind me up anyway. I just used to dispose of Firkraag, the black dragon and the Shadow dragon with the wands of cloud kill trick most of the time (until the ToB supplement changed their response from docile to bastard vs this tactic!)

Dranoel

Dranoel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts

In fights against something like the barbarian tribe, it's good to keep in mind what kind of saving throws your enemy likely has. Babarians for example have low WILL saves, so hitting them with enchantment and domination magic is fantastic; you can easily scatter their number, hold them and even get yourself some allies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny - I tried that in HoF mode (even chromatic orb requires a will save!) It didn't work!

Back to mass summons, ranged weapons and twelve paces!

Phosphor

Phosphor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2214 posts
Their saves are probably ramped up for HOF.

The only real problems I ever seemed to have were against the dragons who just seemed designed to wind me up anyway. I just used to dispose of Firkraag, the black dragon and the Shadow dragon with the wands of cloud kill trick most of the time (until the ToB supplement changed their response from docile to bastard vs this tactic!)

You can still cheese that in TOB. I forget the particulars but I did it last time I managed to play as far as Firkraag.

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts
There are two things that made IWD2 harder than all the other IE games. And yes, Iím one of the ones who find IWD2 to be the toughest out of all the ie games.

1) When you get into a fight with a group of monsters everybody within a close range will converge upon your party. The BG games allowed the monsters only within the fog of war to see you. This removed the cheese tactic of getting closer until I see a monster and pull him back to the group. If you saw one monster then anybody in that area started running towards you. So instead on the one monster that you were expecting, 10 monsters might attack you. You just didnít see the other 9 behind the fog of war. This was implemented in HOW too (canít remember if IWD before HOW?).

2) IWD had the magically appearing Goblins, Hook, Horrors, Driders, etcÖ at the back of your party. This means your spell casters got hammered with some serious damage. I could go through BG1 all the way to TOB and have two wizards at the back of my group who never, ever took any damage. This was because the BG games monsters attacked the first party member they saw, which was always a tank. IWD2 took this away and all party members took damage, not just your tanks.

I remember the first game I went through I has to take a level of Barbarian for my Sorcerer, because she kept on getting hammered and I needed the hit points so my Sorcerer didnít die so much.

Also Iíll add, I find battles with groups of enemies more tougher than single enemies. I find a Dragon to be an easier battle than 6 Driders and a Wizard. More enemies (which IWD2 had) usually equate into tougher battles, at least for me.

But, then again really all the ie games were pretty easy. It just took a while to figure out the tactics. When you did it was a cakewalk.

Dranoel

Dranoel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts

Their saves are probably ramped up for HOF.

Yeah to a ridculous level. From what I noticed they would only ever suffer the effects of a spell from reflex, will or fortitude only if they rolled a natural one (regardless of the unit and their inherent weaknesses etc). This effectively ruined HoF cos it limited you to only the one tactic cos their was no way you could rely on them rolling a 1 evertime you tried a spell. In normal mode I always used shroud of fire to kill the treants whilst I danced around them with a monk. In HoF mode I relied upon summons, ranged, area of effect (at least they don't have bloody IE) and twelve paces same as every other fight from chapter 2 onwards!

warstrekkid

warstrekkid

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
All in all, I can't really say any RPG has been all that tough. Sure, some were ridiculously long, and I played BGI like a n00b, but most of it is pretty simple. The sole exception to that would be when I installed The Big Picture collection of mods for BGII. Maybe I cling too much to the original game, but I barely began it when I gave up, fighting those spirit trolls in Nalia's keep who hardly give you a chance to fight back.

mEtaLL1x

mEtaLL1x

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
Well, they're all kinda simple. No big tactics, really. The only thing that matters is how well are your char's stats and spell choices.

And HoF is like: get yourself a party of half-mages, or half of party being mages and cast instant death spells everywhere, plus use invisibility (if it's unpatched, as someone noted).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users