SOLLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS

I'll also add my own installation bug to this thread. While installing the game from CD, I received the following error while installing files from the 3rd CD -

Component: DefaultComponent

File: E:\data4.cab

Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

As this is clearly a defective CD, the fault lies with the CD Factory, not with Obsidian.

FIX:

1. Copy the files from CD's 2,3 and 4 into separate folders on your harddisk (eg. C:\KOTOR2_CD2, C:\KOTOR2_CD3, C:\KOTOR2_CD4.

2. When prompted by the installation program, give the directory in which the files are stored (eg. C:\KOTOR2_CD2).

The installation will continue as normal.

PS Thanks to Thummin for the actual solution. You saved me three hours of head-banging frustration.

But even after I got the damn thing installed, I can create a character and get the opening scrawl but after the wreck of the ship flies past toward Pegarus the screen goes blank.  Any ideas?

I had the same problem I solved it by updating my drivers to the latest Omega Drivers.

Hope that helps.

So I ranted and raved about how KoToR2 was crashing almost constantly on my machine. Now I look like an idiot (At least in my own eyes).

Basically.......for people who upgraded their computers before buying this game:

check your power supply and see if your existing PSU is adequate enough to power hte new things you put in.

I've had a problem with cooling my 2800+ I bought a few months ago, so I turned it down to 1.6GHz. System was stable at that point, and KoToR1/NWN played perfectly fine thanks to my 5900 nVidia. Before buying TSL, I picked up a new fan for the CPU and changed settings to be what they should be: 333Mhz bus, 2800+ CPU, 2.1GHz, vs 266Mhz bus, 2200+ 1.6GHz CPU. Put in a new PSU (350W).

Finally I decided to turn the system down to original settings. Immediately every crash went away. So the moral of the story is: if you like tinkering with your computers (and you got a video card that requires its own power connector), make sure you're using correct PSU unit. Otherwise you'll encounter weird behavior.

The text below is from my original message. I have been able to find out what was causing the NTDLL.DLL to crash.

The problem was the sound driver. Once I turned off the request for the game to play anything it started working.

:( For a little rant, I am a very experienced programmer and as such I understand how things sometimes happen but from the programmer who created the bug to the testers not finding it to the tech support "staff" not responding to a request for assistance I am wondering how something like this was allowed to happen. This is truly amazing to me how bad quality control seems to be.

+++++++++++++orgional+++++++++++++++++++++

The program loaded with any issues. Virus scanning, firewall and the like were turned off. The program was unloaded and reloaded. The drivers are all neww then a couple of months old at the worse. he attached file is from Dr watson.

Faulting application swkotor2.exe, version 2.0.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00011ec3.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name WEBPC

System Manufacturer SYX

System Model snc302eeh

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2088 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 12/10/2003

SMBIOS Version 2.2

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name WEBPC\Steve

Time Zone Central Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 220.65 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.22 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

i am running a Ti 4400 drivers 66.93 2.4GHZ and was having the lockup the screen bug which usually rebooted the computer on its own. I had set my screen resolution to 1024x768 even though the game recommended 800x600. After changing to 800x600 i haven't had any further problems YET. I am just leaving the Ithorian compound which caused 3 reboots alone also found in 1024 screen had a lot of black squares scattered on screen , in 800 mode they were gone. Hope this helps.

I must admit i wont be purchasing anymore Obsidian games in the future until they have been out long enough so i can see how buggy they are. i.e. when they are in the bargain bins.

This may already be posted but if you have a 1/3 loading bug :

Go to Windows\System32

Check if there is a driver WNASPI32.DLL

This driver will cause a conflict and if it is in the system32 folder, it will cause a 1/3rd loading crash

Make a back up copy of the driver and then delete it

Also, this fixes most issues

(courtesy of anakinsolo)

I spent 2 hours trying to fix this one. God, why didn't I try the forums earlier. I just loaded an old save and lost and hour of game time.

:lol:

This may already be posted but if you have a 1/3 loading bug :

Go to Windows\System32

Check if there is a driver WNASPI32.DLL

This driver will cause a conflict and if it is in the system32 folder, it will cause a 1/3rd loading crash

Make a back up copy of the driver and then delete it

Also, this fixes most issues

(courtesy of anakinsolo)

I spent 2 hours trying to fix this one. God, why didn't I try the forums earlier. I just loaded an old save and lost and hour of game time. :lol: I am curious to know this though, what exactly does this file do? I know of other ASPI files that are used quite frequently be imaging products and it also comes with all Adaptec products.

Anyone can help me with this one??

i got NVIDIA GFORCE 4MX 128MB

i did detect hardware and everything seems fine.

but when i load game...and it goes to the mini intro and then to the logo with the 3 sith...it goes black with mouse working fine and music going...then after a long time...it goes to main menu but it freezes there.

anyone can help?

Anyone can help me with this one??

i got NVIDIA GFORCE 4MX 128MB

i did detect hardware and everything seems fine.

but when i load game...and it goes to the mini intro and then to the logo with the 3 sith...it goes black with mouse working fine and music going...then after a long time...it goes to main menu but it freezes there.

anyone can help?

Is geforce 4mx T&L???

WinXP v5.1 build 2600 SP2

Intel Pentium 1.60 GHz Centrino

512 MB

20 gigs free

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Series 128MB

Realtek AC97 Audio

The only thing it seems to have failed is the processor requirements for some reason. Isnt a 1.6 GHz Centrino supposed to be a close match to a 2.8 P4? When i try to run the game, however, i dont think its the processor having a problem since i can make a character and watch the intro. However, when i start to play the game, all i see is a black screen but i can still hear music.

I want to try using windowed mode, but i cant seem to do this even by trying the "AllowWindowedMode = 1" and "FullScreen=0" settings AS WELL as the

"-w" parameter in the shortcut.

Any help will be appreciated.

Isnt a 1.6 GHz Centrino supposed to be a close match to a 2.8 P4?

Only when you are talking about Desktop applications like Word and Excel, and even then that is suspect. When it comes to floating point apps and graphics it performs just like any other 1.6 would

For people that are having trouble installing KOTOR#2 I have a solution that might help with installing. I found out a couple of months ago that my computer did not like installing games with the new anti-copy encryption stuff on the cds. My computer would lock up everytime I tried to install the game(I think it was bloodlines). The problem was the accerlation settings in my motherboard's bios. I had to shut off both the settings to install the game. Once I did I did not have anymore trouble installing games including KOTOR#2.

I must admit i wont be purchasing anymore Obsidian games in the future until they have been out long enough so i can see how buggy they are. i.e. when they are in the bargain bins.

Oh come off it. You make it sound like it is the end of the world or something. There have been plenty of other games that were more buggy when they were release than KotOR 2. Ultima 9, Pool of Radiance 2, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of Elemental Evil, and so forth and so on. A patch is being made so reign in the "I am never buying another game from them." Buggy games on release is not a big deal. How well they support the game afterwards is. If they don't support the game then I am in full agreement.

Regarding 1/3 Loading issue...

I have nvidia 9700-Ultra card. Probably irrelevant.

Anyway, I tried all the hints given, including latest video drivers, older video drivers, turning off anti-aliasing, turning off sound, going back to save game right before going into mode where Loading locks up - nothing!

What finally worked for me was I had to go way back to a far-previously saved game (probably only 30-40 minutes of actual game time, but who likes to repeat things...) Followed mostly the same actions and battle sequences, yet surprisingly, at the time of reckoning - everything worked fine! Load proceeded as normal and game continued onwards.

For those interested, my loading issue occurred while leaving Telos on Ebon Hawk.

My Problem is following:

Kotor II isn't really compatible with Ati 9550GE (i think it's not an Ati-driver-Problem) :(

I think so because:

1. The Hardware-detection Tool of KotorII tells me, the 9550GE should be lower than an Ati9200 , what the hell, the 9550GE runs with Pixelshader 2.0, the 9200 only with DX8.1!! :rolleyes:

2. The Pixelshaders don't work, i c'ant see any Bumbmapping or Lightshower, it looks like pure T&L :)

Is there someone who can help me? Obsidian?

Otherwise, there i've no more big problems

i cant even start the game.. i get the two logo screens (LA and OB) then the sith screen..then *POP*...

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 20/02/2005

Time: 20:24:27

User: N/A

Computer: DAZZA

Description:

Faulting application swkotor2.exe, version 2.0.1.0, faulting module swkotor2.exe, version 2.0.1.0, fault address 0x000ce5d6.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 77 6b ure swk

0018: 6f 74 6f 72 32 2e 65 78 otor2.ex

0020: 65 20 32 2e 30 2e 31 2e e 2.0.1.

0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 73 77 6b 0 in swk

0030: 6f 74 6f 72 32 2e 65 78 otor2.ex

0038: 65 20 32 2e 30 2e 31 2e e 2.0.1.

0040: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off

0048: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 63 set 000c

0050: 65 35 64 36 0d 0a e5d6..

:geek

Hi:

i am new here and i am getting mad about this buggy game :ermm::thumbsup::thumbsup: , i get instant restart of my machine while playing this "rushed on market" game. when i use quicksave or save 60% of the time my machine will crash instantly and reboot. when not use saving or loading the percentage is 15%. The first half of the game is ok but bugs coming out one after another like this in the second half part of kotorII.

my machine detail:

CPUName=AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+

RAM=1024 crucial ballistix

Two WD raptor 74g set stipr 0

Drives=PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108

OpenGL Renderer=RADEON X850 XT x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Sound Card Name=Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

[Graphics Options]

Grass=1

Shadows=1

AllowSoftShadows=1

EnableHardwareMouse=1

RefreshRate=85

Width=1600

Height=1200

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=8

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=0

Brightness=60

FullScreen=1

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=4

Hi:

i am new here and i am getting mad about this buggy game :ermm::thumbsup::thumbsup: , i get instant restart of my machine while playing this "rushed on market" game. when i use quicksave or save 60% of the time my machine will crash instantly and reboot. when not use saving or loading the percentage is 15%. The first half of the game is ok but bugs coming out one after another like this in the second half part of kotorII.

my machine detail:

CPUName=AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+

RAM=1024 crucial ballistix

Two WD raptor 74g set stipr 0

Drives=PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108

OpenGL Renderer=RADEON X850 XT x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Sound Card Name=Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

[Graphics Options]

Grass=1

Shadows=1

AllowSoftShadows=1

EnableHardwareMouse=1

RefreshRate=85

Width=1600

Height=1200

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=8

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=0

Brightness=60

FullScreen=1

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=4

Alright, now I am completely frustrated.

The 1/4 load bug is now making me rip my hair out. I've tried everything suggested here, nothing works.

Its been bugging me since I brought the game, but I've been able to 'fix' it by reverting to an earlier save. And by making a new save after every new room.

But now it hangs while loading ALL my recent saves. Unless I want to re-do 2 days worth of playing, I'm buggered. I'm on the Dxun moon, I've done all the forest quests and I was hopefully just about to get off the damned mud ball.

This is the most bug riddled game I've ever played... but I might actually be able to have fun with it if I could continue my damned game.

My game wont even start. I click Game and the hourglass comes then goes and its just my desktop. I reinstalled it restarted my comp and a bunch of other things I NEED HELP

Thanks.

This seems to be a sound issue check the sticky thread titled SOUND.

People have generally solved it using different soundcard drivers - normally older ones.

Hi :)

I just registered to see if i can get some help. I couldn't find anything just searching.

After learning the BIG problems that this game has with ATI cards (lots of lockups, the 4.11 openGL driver did not help :() i got to the 1/3 loading thing.

But there is no WNASPI32.DLL in the windows/system32/ . So...any idea?

I can try to go on playing with the lockups, but i can't expect to be playing without any valid save :p