SOLLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS

This is a quite good idea and if this thread has success, I just hope it'll be pinned.

For the framerate drops on Dantooine with Ati cards, here is the solution which worked with me:

Open the "swkotor2.ini" file in the root of the KotOR II directory, go in the "Graphics Options" section and add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1".

This may already be posted but if you have a 1/3 loading bug :

Go to Windows\System32

Check if there is a driver WNASPI32.DLL

This driver will cause a conflict and if it is in the system32 folder, it will cause a 1/3rd loading crash

Make a back up copy of the driver and then delete it

Also, this fixes most issues

(courtesy of anakinsolo)

if you have an nvidia card:

EDIT :

uninstall your current display driver, then restart

go to this link : http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...p_2k_67.66.html

1) download the 67.66 forceware drivers

2) uninstall your current drivers via add/remove progs.

3) restart

4) install the DX9.0c via the apropriate k2CD (even if it's already installed do it again anyway, believe me)

5) Install the new drivers (67.66) [you may need to restart before this, depending on what the dx installer says]

6) restart

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date:  02/13/2005

Time:  14:58:32

User:  N/A

Computer: SLIPKNOT

Description:

Faulting application swkotor2.exe, version 2.0.0.0, faulting module mssmp3.asi, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000b5b0.

game crashes, i go to event viewer and this is there, any ideas?

game crashes, i go to event viewer and this is there, any ideas?

Yup. You can try updating your sound drivers. The mssmp3.asi is the miles sound system driver from KOTOR2 which is faulting, it can be caused by bad driver calls on your system. If you have the latest from the manufacture, try getting the latest from your motherboard maker.

You could also see if they have an updated audio set on the miles website as well. Just something else to try.

if you have an nvidia card:

EDIT :

uninstall your current display driver, then restart

go to this link : http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...p_2k_67.66.html

1) download the 67.66 forceware drivers

2) uninstall your current drivers via add/remove progs.

3) restart

4) install the DX9.0c via the apropriate k2CD (even if it's already installed do it again anyway, believe me)

How in the world did you manage to reload your DX9.0c?

As a rule, you can't ever "un-install" a DirectX pack once you install it, unless you wipe your whole OS and start from scratch. (That's what the Microsoft tech support says, on site.)

And when I tried to simply reinstall over top of the old DirectX 9.0c, the software refused to rerun the install. Basically, it finds all the files in place already and aborts because it doesn't believe it needs to run. It will only install if something is wrong or something is missing. There's no override of this software check.

Is there some trick not mentioned in the docs to reinstall DirectX 9.0c?

I dont know myself since I didnt have a problem w/ KotOR 2. I simply posted anakinsolo's solution to solving the problems. I'm assuming that if Direct X 9.0C is installed, you don't need to reinstall it but I just copied what he said (after giving proper credit :D).

I got the wrong volume error, stuck disk 1 back in the drive and then it asked for disk 2. It installed disk 2 stuff and then gave me the volume error again, stuck disk 1 back in and it worked again, it did the same for disk 3 and 4. go figure.

But even after I got the damn thing installed, I can create a character and get the opening scrawl but after the wreck of the ship flies past toward Pegarus the screen goes blank. Any ideas?

Hey all, i've just signed up and i thought instead of making yet another new thread listing problems i'd add mine here to see what you all think. I think there might be an answer for my problem.

I have suffered from loading a game with three party members, just to have the other two party members disappear. What struck me as odd about this though is when i tried adding them back to my party on the character screen. Down in the right hand corner where another characters class and level are usually displayed i had a message that read "I'm so broken, so very very broken". I saw this and wondered what was going on but loading an autosave solved the problem.

Another problem i frequently have is the game will freeze or my pc will restart unexpectedly. I've read that many people are having this problem. I've changed my drivers and don't think that they have anything to do with it. I had the 66.93 nvidia drivers and now i'm trying the beta ones. The thing is though, everytime my pc restarts or crashes and i have to restart it i get an error msg once i log in that says my graphics card couldn't perform a drawing operation.

If anyones curious heres my specs.

Windows XP

2.66Ghz Processor

512mb Ram

BFG GeForce FX 5700 OC

Apart from that all i'm hoping for is a patch because this games great and i'm sat here desperate to play, but holding back because i know that the errors will occur again.

If you've read this far, then thanks a lot for your time. :cool:

Hi!

For all they have Graphics-"Lags" in any Chapter of the Game, try to change the settings under "Sound Options" in swkotor2.ini to

"Number 3D Voices=16" and

"Number 2D Voices=24"

(or other less entrys)

It helps me to fix the probs when graphics "lags" in game every second at level/chapter Citadel Station, when ich walk or look around the charakter (with "a" or "d"-Key). At the first level the game runs normal smooth...(framerate works fine without any of these "lags" !!)

...i have the German version of this game (v2.00.420). But i think that must give the same result in english version....

Hope it helps!

I got the wrong volume error, stuck disk 1 back in the drive and then it asked for disk 2.  It installed disk 2 stuff and then gave me the volume error again, stuck disk 1 back in and it worked again, it did the same for disk 3 and 4. go figure.

Didn't work for me.

Who wants to bet this is another ****ty copy-protection scheme? I'm so tempted to just pirate any future games I want, just so I don't have to deal with faulty legit copies. Oh the irony.

Hey dudes!

I got a problem with Kotor2!

When i try leave Telos *after the jedi acadamy thingy* nothing happens

I get to the ebon hawk enter it, it loads and he says like"let us get off this rock"

But then all i can do is talk to kreia, and the others nothing happens!

and the graphic is wierd there are empty barrels in every corridor of the ship...

i can get to the control room but i press anything there wtf should i do??

And i some rooms are black and aren't possible to enter!

PLEASE HELP I WANNA PLAY THE DAMN GAME!!!!!!!!!&%#

I got the wrong volume error, stuck disk 1 back in the drive and then it asked for disk 2.  It installed disk 2 stuff and then gave me the volume error again, stuck disk 1 back in and it worked again, it did the same for disk 3 and 4. go figure.

Didn't work for me.

Who wants to bet this is another ****ty copy-protection scheme? I'm so tempted to just pirate any future games I want, just so I don't have to deal with faulty legit copies. Oh the irony.

Yeah, pretty annoying, huh?

The same thing happened to me (flipping back and forth between disks). Meanwhile, the install kept bombing.

Eventually I followed LucasArt's advice to copy the contents of Disk2, Disk3, and Disk4 to the hard drive in separate folders (named after the disk #). I started the install with the real CD Disk #1. Then, when the install asked for any of the other disks, I directed it to the appropriate folder.

This kept me from having to switch disks, and the install actually worked.

(well, except for that "disable the sound to play" thingamajig... but that's another story.)

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, the answer to the most common problem I've seen:

On Dantooine or in other smoky areas, the game can slow to a crawl. This can be fixed by adding the line

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

Under the [Graphics Options] section in the swkotor2.ini file. This should increase performance greatly.

This may already be posted but if you have a 1/3 loading bug :

Go to Windows\System32

Check if there is a driver WNASPI32.DLL

This driver will cause a conflict and if it is in the system32 folder, it will cause a 1/3rd loading crash

Make a back up copy of the driver and then delete it

------

I don't know if this is the same problem, but....

I can't get from the Prologue to Peragus. As soon as I hit the travel button to go to Peragus I get the videos showing the asteroid field, landing the ship, then the armed robot. At that point the game flips to the loading screen where, on the progress bar, it first shows saving then loading. Once it starts loading it get's anywhere from 70% to 80% of the way through loading then locks up solid requiring a reboot to get back to the desktop. No visible error messages, no nothing, just a solid lockup and I can't alt-tab back to the desktop to close the game.

As far as the fix listed above goes, I don't have a WNASPI32.DLL file in my System32 folder, just one named WNASPINT.DLL.

Right now I'm thoroughly stuck in the game because I can't get out of the Prologue. First time I've ever had a game that couldn't even load it's own auto-save files that it had created just mere seconds before trying to load them!!!!

So what next? Does an Obsidian tech ever visit this forum answering game problems? I sure haven't seen any post indicating an official presence here, that's for sure.