Another Disatisified customer who needs help

First off, let me say that I have combed every forum I can find to find solutions to this. The farthest I have gotten in the game is seeing the opening movie of the Ebon Hawk and then crashing. Often I do not even get past, or even to, the character creation screen. The PC freezes solid with a black screen.

Let me know if I have missed anything or you have any other solutions

Things I have tried so far:

-----------------------------

The last three and newest Catalyst drivers including 4.9 which some people were swearing by. Each previous version was removed using a scrubber to get rid of all traces. I also tried Omega and DNA drivers.

Updating Sound Card and Via chipset drivers

Disabling Movies and editing the swkotor.ini file as suggested by Lucas Arts

renaming wnaspi.dll

disabling Anti-virus, virtual drives and any other startup programs that would even remoteley impact KOTOR

disabling AA,VS, dropping resolution and visuals to minimum

Reinstalling Windows XP

I am sure there are numerous other things I have done that I no longer care to remember.

My system specs are all good:

----------------------------------

AMD 2500

768 mb RAM

VIA chipset, KT333

Radeon 8500 128 mb ram - not the $%^& LE version. The non LE 8500 still way outperforms their lowest RECOMMENDED (not required) card, the 9200.

40 GB free on the install drive

The PC is spyware free and has no issues running ANYTHING else

Observations:

---------------

-Lucas Arts support site is of no use at all

-A game should not require me - or the numerous other ATI owners - to jump through hoops or wait 2 months for a patch after I laid down a lot of cash for it.

-No wonder PC gaming is dieing when this type of product is given to us. The average user has no idea how to use the start button never mind update a driver.

- It is not ATI's fault. Lucas Arts and Obsidian should have thoroughly tested it to make sure it was stable on all platforms.

-For a game that runs on a Engine that is the same as the old game it sure has many bugs. And when you consider your average PC is now much more powerful than the XBOX it was written for I cannot understand any excuses

- I can tell you I will not put down cash for Lucas Arts upcoming Star Wars RTS or Obsidians Neverwinter Nights 2 despite the fact they are my two favourite franchises.

First off, let me say that I have combed every forum I can find to find solutions to this. The farthest I have gotten in the game is seeing the opening movie of the Ebon Hawk and then crashing.  Often I do not even get past, or even to, the character creation screen.  The PC freezes solid with a black screen.

Let me know if I have missed anything or you have any other solutions

Things I have tried so far:

-----------------------------

The last three and newest Catalyst drivers including 4.9 which some people were swearing by.  Each previous version was removed using a scrubber to get rid of all traces.  I also tried Omega and DNA drivers.

Updating Sound Card and Via chipset drivers

Disabling Movies and editing the swkotor.ini file as suggested by Lucas Arts

renaming wnaspi.dll

disabling Anti-virus, virtual drives and any other startup programs that would even  remoteley impact KOTOR

disabling AA,VS, dropping resolution and visuals to minimum

Reinstalling Windows XP

I am sure there are numerous other things I have done that I no longer care to remember.

My system specs are all good:

----------------------------------

AMD 2500

768 mb RAM

VIA chipset, KT333

Radeon 8500 128 mb ram - not the $%^& LE version.  The non LE 8500 still way outperforms their lowest RECOMMENDED (not required) card, the 9200.

40 GB free on the install drive

The PC is spyware free and has no issues running ANYTHING else

Observations:

---------------

-Lucas Arts support site is of no use at all

-A game should not require me - or the numerous other ATI owners - to jump through hoops or wait 2 months for a patch after I laid down a lot of cash for it.

-No wonder PC gaming is dieing when this type of product is given to us.  The average user has no idea how to use the start button never mind update a driver.

- It is not ATI's fault.  Lucas Arts and Obsidian should have thoroughly tested it to make sure it was stable on all platforms.

-For a game that runs on a Engine that is the same as the old game it sure has many bugs.  And when you consider your average PC is now much more powerful than the XBOX it was written for I cannot understand any excuses

- I can tell you I will not put down cash for Lucas Arts upcoming Star Wars RTS or Obsidians Neverwinter Nights 2 despite the fact they are my two favourite franchises.

you did notice that a ATI Radeon 9200 or better is required???

also, from what i have read on multiple threads, 4.11 is the best driver for the game, but others have had bad luck with the 4.11 drivers and use the latest or someone even managed to use 3.10. lol

The game has not arrived at my home yet, but i don't fore-see any problems since alot of people with ATI cards don't have problems.

Some people do, some people don't, i guess its based on hardware and alot of luck.

but what drivers are you using?

You should know that the Radeon 8500 is faster than the 9200. Don't trust the Ati denominations, some of them are quite confusing. For example, the 9500 Pro outperforms a 9600 Pro or XT, and the 9550 is also completely outperformed.

You should know that the Radeon 8500 is faster than the 9200. Don't trust the Ati denominations, some of them are quite confusing. For example, the 9500 Pro outperforms a 9600 Pro or XT, and the 9550 is also completely outperformed.

oh.....well, they always do confuse me. lol

i wish ATI and Nvidia would work together to make a video card with the good parts of ATI and the good parts of Nvidia....now if that happend, a VERY good card would be born.

and for a good twist, both ATI Catalyst and the Nvidia drivers would be compatible with it.......now that would be cool, but i doubt it.

It doesn't matter how 'fast' a card is, it has to do with hardware programing interupts and how the driver speaks to it. The 8500 doesn't have the same core as a 9200, to follow a 9600xt supports 2.1 shaders and other extensions in hardware, where the 9600 doesn't.

Also to point out, hardware pipelining is diffrent on the series of cards. So is memory, etc, etc, etc...

It doesn't matter how 'fast' a card is, it has to do with hardware programing interupts and how the driver speaks to it. The 8500 doesn't have the same core as a 9200, to follow a 9600xt supports 2.1 shaders and other extensions in hardware, where the 9600 doesn't.

Also to point out, hardware pipelining is diffrent on the series of cards. So is memory, etc, etc, etc...

The 9200 or the GeForce 4 Ti is reccomended not required... To run KotOR 2, you simply need a 32MB T&L capable card.