This Game is unplayable w/ ATI cards

don't fret a patch can fix all that

Ahh yes but is there going to be a patch?

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

what are you guys talking about? I'm running Kotor 2 on an all-in-wonder 9600 pro, with directx 9.0c and catalyst 5.2 and i'm not getting crashes. Sure I got one, but that was because I did some stupid stuff really fast. It just takes a little bit of fooling around with, before you find your niche.

It just takes a little bit of fooling around with, before you find your niche.

Ahhh.. so, because we own ATI cards, we're SUPPOSED to fool around with downloading 50 different driver setups, and taking a crash course in "how to make a computer game run on a perfectly capable system running an ATI video card" - 101..

*sigh*

I guess the question is why didn't they include the drivers with the install, I am sure the final CD wasn't 100% full I think they could have included at the very least a link to a good place to get drivers if not included drivers that worked for all ATI cards (that the game is suppost to support).

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I have an AWI 9700 pro Catalyst 5.1 ( I haven't gotten around to 5.2 yet) And this Game runs smoother than KotOR ever did. THere is only one module

Dantooine Landing dock

that some how screws with Framebuffer effects. But If I turn Framebuffer off hit ok then turn it back on again, the game runs as smooth as silk.

I will admitt the game lacks certain polish. but aside from several looping dialogs the game runs fine on my system. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

Perhaps the real problem is that some people would rather complian when all it requires is for the user to properly configure their Ati settings. You know that red ATI icon that opens that control panel thingy with all the buttons and switches.

If your getting alot of frame loss perhaps you just need to set aa and af to app prefference in the ati CP and in game turn up AA and AF.

lol. yeah, it's unfair, but eventually, being a PC player you have to learn to deal. Once that happens, eveyrthing else falls into place, and you just get used to it.

Sir, this is why you are what we call 'part of the problem'.

I didn't have to mess around with my drivers for HL2, Doom 3, or any one of the other 'big name' games that have come out in the last 6 months.

It's by no means 'standard practice' to do so.

You chose not to purcahse an nVidia solution so now you shall feel the wrath of the OBSIDIAN DEVELOPERS!

Maybe it's because the XBOX has an nVidia chip for its graphics.

So the code runs somewhat better on systems equip with nVidia cards.

Games like Doom3 and Half-life 2 ran flawlessly on my computer (ATI card).

On Dantoine, the game bugs down to 1 frame every 2 seconds...what do I do?

Well, change a settings in the graphic settings and voila. Game runs normal until the next time.

Those technical issues are *very* frustrating, but the game is soooo good so far.

You chose not to purcahse an nVidia solution so now you shall feel the wrath of the OBSIDIAN DEVELOPERS!

runs on mine, and I'm having a lot of fun playing the game. :ermm:

P.S. and I didn't have to make any adjustments to my drivers or my settings. It just so happens, I'm lazy and never update my drivers. I'm still using 4.11 drivers. In fact, I rarely update drivers. I alway say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My games all run good with 4.11 (except morrowind which has ctd issues, but I don't think that is a video driver problem)

runs on mine, and I'm having a lot of fun playing the game. :ermm:

P.S. and I didn't have to make any adjustments to my drivers or my settings. It just so happens, I'm lazy and never update my drivers. I'm still using 4.11 drivers. In fact, I rarely update drivers. I alway say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My games all run good with 4.11 (except morrowind which has ctd issues, but I don't think that is a video driver problem)

finally someone is getting intelligent, alot of people are saying to use 4.11 and i don't think these guys are listening.

the slowdown bug accurs on drivers 4.12 and above on Kotor, so it will effect Kotor II as well, even though the Developer said all ATI Specific bugs are fixed by them or ATI. lol

Well, i will find out tomorrow, whe my copy arrives.

runs on mine, and I'm having a lot of fun playing the game. :)

I read somewhere that 4.11 has a problem with the starting video. Guess you didn't experience any issues there?

The comparison between nVidia and ATI

ATI

Great Products

Good Drivers (not w/ Linux and OS other than Windows)

Weak marketing machine

nVidia

Good Products

Great Drivers

Amazing Marketing Machine

Amazing Overclocking ability

What I hate about ATI:

The drivers

What I hate about nVidia:

Large cards

suck up excessive amounts of power

Dual Slot cooling solutions take up a PCI Slot

Seriously, I have a 5950 Ultra and with an overclock, it performs better than the 9800XT on DirectX 8 applications. It is a huge card, its as large as the 6800 Ultra. That's just crazy...

Atleast nVidia is making some improvements with the size. Their 6800/6800GT is a one slot card (thank god). The 6800 Ultra has a huge fan but the good thing is the level you can overclock the card to. I am running at 570/1.2 but my idle temps for the core are just about 50C. That's plain amazing.

My 5950 Ultra

500/1.1

My 6800 Ultra

570/1.2

The comparison between nVidia and ATI

ATI

Great Products

Good Drivers (not w/ Linux and OS other than Windows)

Weak marketing machine

nVidia

Good Products

Great Drivers

Amazing Marketing Machine

Amazing Overclocking ability

What I hate about ATI:

The drivers

What I hate about nVidia:

Large cards

suck up excessive amounts of power

Dual Slot cooling solutions take up a PCI Slot

Seriously, I have a 5950 Ultra and with an overclock, it performs better than the 9800XT on DirectX 8 applications. It is a huge card, its as large as the 6800 Ultra. That's just crazy...

Atleast nVidia is making some improvements with the size. Their 6800/6800GT is a one slot card (thank god). The 6800 Ultra has a huge fan but the good thing is the level you can overclock the card to. I am running at 570/1.2 but my idle temps for the core are just about  50C. That's plain amazing.

I'd bet if you overclocked the 9800XT, it'd easily outperform your 5950 Ultra.

I'd bet if you overclocked the 9800XT, it'd easily outperform your 5950 Ultra.

Well considering that the 5950 Ultra's fan is capable of exhausting a lot of heat, can definetly OC the 5950 Ultra way past the 9800XT's tolerable limits. Or atleast I hear...

At idle, my 5950 runs at 35C Core

When overclocked to 500/1.1, the Core is now at 40C idle

Under full load, I go to 50-60C on overclock...

Lets see a 9800XT try to beat that.

Check out this review.

AND YES I KNOW the 5950 Ultra absoultely BLOWS when running DX9 applications as can be seen from the 3DMark05 benchmark...

runs on mine, and I'm having a lot of fun playing the game. :)

I read somewhere that 4.11 has a problem with the starting video. Guess you didn't experience any issues there?

strangely, now issues with the beginning movies for the logos (unless there's some other starting video that isn't even coming up?). I just mouse click to skip those.

I'm still using 4.11 drivers

lol me to.ATI radeon 9200 se runs fine.A few lil tips to help make it run smoother for you ati people.Shutdown any and all norton antivirus /firewall programs when installing the game-then when playing.Keep settings to 800x600 just like the first one.Shutdown any and all useless running background programs.Icq msn etc.