KOTOR 3 in March's Game Informer

well, i just saw the article and it does clearly say KOTOR III is on the way. This is also the issue where the Xbox 2 third party blackout has been lifted (check out the Condemned article :)) so it's feasible that KOTOR3 is going to be a next gen title and they couldn't say anything at all regarding developing, pre-production, etc till this time.

I'd be really interested in hearing from a dev now regarding pre-production of KOTOR3, yea or nay.

If what is said by that little snippet, then I'm going to believe that we may well be the Exile in Kotor III. That makes some sense to me. After all Revan was Bioware's creation, and the Exile is Obsidian's.

I think that they could handle the Exile not having force powers by attributing it to the death of the force bond he held with Kreia. That is what brought him back to the Force, so with the source gone, perhaps his force ability takes a hit too. Perhaps start him off with a few basic force powers, and have him need to reconnect to the force from there.

I wouldn't be too upset by this, so long as Revan returns to Bastila, and peace is restored to the galaxy.

If what is said by that little snippet, then I'm going to believe that we may well be the Exile in Kotor III.  That makes some sense to me.  After all Revan was Bioware's creation, and the Exile is Obsidian's. 

I think that they could handle the Exile not having force powers by attributing it to the death of the force bond he held with Kreia.  That is what brought him back to the Force, so with the source gone, perhaps his force ability takes a hit too.  Perhaps start him off with a few basic force powers, and have him need to reconnect to the force from there.

I wouldn't be too upset by this, so long as Revan returns to Bastila, and peace is restored to the galaxy.

Kreia exaggerated the Bond. It's not severe at all.

But this is probably one of the many false KOTOR 3 rumors floating around the net.

Game informer is as reputable as any other industry rag. They would not print it if it were just a rumor. These are not tabloids.

Would you consider GameBanshee reputable? They printed a rumor about KOTOR 3 that turned out to be false. You can't trust everything from the net, not even from reputable sites.

Game Informer is just a little bit higher on the food chain then GameBanshee. check it out

Game Informer's circulation of 1.3 million is more than Rolling Stone, Popular Mechanics or PC Magazine.

It's big, it's pretty reliable, and if they printed if they printed next weeks lotto numbers i'd likely buy tickets.

"NOTES ON KOTOR III:

Obsidian did pretty well taking over for BioWare in KOTOTRII: The Sith Lords, and it's got more up it's sleeve for the third installment. A source tells us that the game is going to reveal more about the HK series of droids, including where they are from and who makes them. Also planned is an exploration of the Outer Rim territories following in Revan's footsteps."

I read something similar at the gamefaqs forums earlier today, the rumors are spreading quickly. If true, the announcement will probably be just one headline at E3 the earliest, without any content, story or graphics being shown.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Although I can understand the attachment to Revan and the Exile, I find think would be too hard to play as them in the next installment. And the developers want to keep it open ended so that new gamers to the series can pick it up and understand it (although I think they would have a tough time with some of the stuff in KOTOR II if they didn't play KOTOR).

I don't really want to go to the Outer Rim in search of Revan though. At the end of the game you would have to find him/her, and that closes the openess of the first game.

I also don't think that this one will have us fight real Sith either, despite the hints dropped by Kreia at the end of the game (LS anyway, haven't played DS yet). Maybe though.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Due to the extremely high levels Revan and Exile are at the end of each of their respective games, I find it unlikely that the main PC will be either.

Unless they find some highly innovative way to explain taking down levels, or they just knock the levels back and say 'deal with it' then make leveling a gradual process that ends at 20 or whatever the D20 rules has as the level limit, then I'd say hi to the new PC.

The new PC that is so powerful in the Force that he/she is able to take on the True Sith, but has never been felt till now. Hey the universe is a big place right?

Due to the extremely high levels Revan and Exile are at the end of each of their respective games, I find it unlikely that the main PC will be either.

Unless they find some highly innovative way to explain taking down levels, or they just knock the levels back and say 'deal with it' then make leveling a gradual process that ends at 20 or whatever the D20 rules has as the level limit, then I'd say hi to the new PC.

The new PC that is so powerful in the Force that he/she is able to take on the True Sith, but has never been felt till now. Hey the universe is a big place right?

Well, The second expansion for Neverwinter Nights started the PC at a high level since it carried on directly from the first expansion. You just have to extend the levelling system to account for it. Also, the True Sith are meant to be extremely powerful, so a level twenty-something character won't have an easy time of it. Or shouldn't.

Alternatively, The Exile can only maintain here connection to the force so long as there are other force sensitives around her to feed upon. If she was away from known space, it is plausible that she would lose all her abilities.

If the former, there could be an option to import Revan from a KotOR 1 save to play as was done for Baldur's Gate 2. Similarly for the Exile and KotOR 2.

If the latter, the character might just as well make a new Exile.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

They could say that both Revan and the Exile contracted space gonorrhea and the resulting inflamation causes massive "deleveling". They must first visit the Free Clinic planet to cure their affliction

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

As for the article itself, I think everyone should remember that there was a "rap report" with MCA and Chris Parker on IGN not to long ago, where thsi was said:

Obsidian Entertainment has always planned to be a two-project studio. We could even go to three at some point, but we don't have any desire to grow bigger than that. We are even worried about three projects - we enjoy the unity and closeness of having less than 50 people. Everybody knows each other, we hang out together, and LAN gaming is super sweet.

But to address the two-project thing, we have been working on NWN2 for several months, and are currently seeking our third project with a number of publishers. That is something we'd like to start in January or February of 2005.

I can't speak of what LucasArts wants or if we've had discussions with them, but if we were to do a KOTOR III, I think it would be a large divergence from the first two. We'd need to create a completely new engine, redo the rules system, and take care of a host of other 'things'. Of course, we'd stick to the Star Wars feel and story-driven gameplay. But that's outside of anything we should talk about here.

But this was also said:

And unfortunately, we can't really talk about any other things that we are looking to do, but I think we'll always be in the realm of RPGs, although we are also looking at doing some very RPG lite stuff - as much as we love the hard-core RPG, we have no desire to get pigeon holed with a super hardcore reputation. At the same time, while BioWare has been more than amazing and gracious in helping us get started, we would like to do a game that isn't a sequel to one of their products - we can't really prove ourselves until we do that, can we? So that's important for us, too.

My guess? It's one of three things:

1.Their next project is a brand new IP. While they work on that and NWN2, I think LA just might be working on a new engine (they had already started on a "K3" engine, remember), maybe even with Parker checking in to tell them what Obsidian wants to see in it and such or even a guy or two from Obsidian working on it with LA people.

When NWN2 is finished, I suspect K3 will step up into preproduction.

2.The other posibility is that LA gave them what they wanted (in terms of time, money and support) and they went to 3 games.

3. The offer was to good and K3 will be their next game before a new IP.

I'd guess number 1, but either way, I'd say the article is more or less accurate.

As for the article itself, I think everyone should remember that there was a "rap report" with MCA and Chris Parker on IGN not to long ago, where thsi was said:

Obsidian Entertainment has always planned to be a two-project studio. We could even go to three at some point, but we don't have any desire to grow bigger than that. We are even worried about three projects - we enjoy the unity and closeness of having less than 50 people. Everybody knows each other, we hang out together, and LAN gaming is super sweet.

But to address the two-project thing, we have been working on NWN2 for several months, and are currently seeking our third project with a number of publishers. That is something we'd like to start in January or February of 2005.

I can't speak of what LucasArts wants or if we've had discussions with them, but if we were to do a KOTOR III, I think it would be a large divergence from the first two. We'd need to create a completely new engine, redo the rules system, and take care of a host of other 'things'. Of course, we'd stick to the Star Wars feel and story-driven gameplay. But that's outside of anything we should talk about here.

But this was also said:

And unfortunately, we can't really talk about any other things that we are looking to do, but I think we'll always be in the realm of RPGs, although we are also looking at doing some very RPG lite stuff - as much as we love the hard-core RPG, we have no desire to get pigeon holed with a super hardcore reputation. At the same time, while BioWare has been more than amazing and gracious in helping us get started, we would like to do a game that isn't a sequel to one of their products - we can't really prove ourselves until we do that, can we? So that's important for us, too.

some interesting stuff in these quotes. however, it appears the chances of "resolution" to kotor2 wont happen if obsidian intends to make it a "large divergence from the first two".

some interesting stuff in these quotes.  however, it appears the chances of "resolution" to kotor2 wont happen if obsidian intends to make it a "large divergence from the first two".

I HIGHLY doubt that it meant that the story of Revan isn't continued.

I'd say it was more like you arn't a jedi or you can choose not to be one. Or the combat is completely redone.

But really, you took that line away from the line that follows it that ultimately explains what he really meant. Let me post it this way:

but if we were to do a KOTOR III, I think it would be a large divergence from the first two. We'd need to create a completely new engine, redo the rules system, and take care of a host of other 'things'.

the divergence are all those things he lists.

I really hope Obsidian doesn't do to KotOR3 what Bioware did to Baldur's Gate 3 :( BG3 was a great game and all, but it didn't feel like a sequel, it felt like an expansion for BG2  ;)

I was hoping for a collaboration between Obsidian and bioware. Bioware makes the engine, obsidian does the story and they both do the rest together. So that it could be produced quicker but still get all the attention it deserves.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I really hope Obsidian doesn't do to KotOR3 what Bioware did to Baldur's Gate 3 :lol: BG3 was a great game and all, but it didn't feel like a sequel, it felt like an expansion for BG2  :lol:

I was hoping for a collaboration between Obsidian and bioware. Bioware makes the engine, obsidian does the story and they both do the rest together. So that it could be produced quicker but still get all the attention it deserves.

This seems like a good idea.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom