[SOLVED] Black screen after movies

Johno

I was getting a black screen with sound effects everytime after a movie played. The only way I could get around this was to disable movies all together but this solution I don't like.

After going through every option I could I eventually narrowed the problem down. The only way it works for me is when BOTH frame buffering and soft shadows are disabled. I can change any of the other options to whatever I want but if either of these are on it causes the problem.

This is running on XP SP2 with an ATI Radeon 9600XT, please try this if you are having the same problem and let me know how you get on :p

That's less a solution and more an abortion :p

I can play the game, with movies, by running a more recent version of ATI Catalyst drivers than the 4.11 you'd use with the original KOTOR. Only problem is that the gameplay itself gets choppy in places, maybe even unplayable.

So for soft shadows, yeah, leave those disabled. I think I read somewhere that software shadows only cause ATI cards trouble in the original KOTOR. In any case, that's a step down in graphic quality anyway, so there's no real need to have them enabled.

Folllowing someone's advice on here, I went back to Catalyst 4.11. The general theory is that the only movie that's affected like this is the initial movie after you first create a character. I can tell you that, now that I've downgraded back to 4.11, I was able to go through a multiple video landing sequence and still have game afterwards. So that theory holds water given the current data.

That again in a nutshell:

1) Upgrade to Catalyst 5.2

2) Create your character, get past the video sequences (5.2 can do that) and save.

3) Downgrade to Catalyst 4.11 (which should eliminate in-gameplay chopiness)

4) Now resume your save and see if you can make it to the endgame.

(Possible way to get around steps #1 and #2, just disable video sequences until you reach a point where you can save the game.)

So far so good here, but I haven't really had the time to give it a real thorough testing yet.

Folllowing someone's advice on here, I went back to Catalyst 4.11.  The general theory is that the only movie that's affected like this is the initial movie after you first create a character.  I can tell you that, now that I've downgraded back to 4.11, I was able to go through a multiple video landing sequence and still have game afterwards.  So that theory holds water given the current data.

That again in a nutshell:

1) Upgrade to Catalyst 5.2

2) Create your character, get past the video sequences (5.2 can do that) and save.

3) Downgrade to Catalyst 4.11 (which should eliminate in-gameplay chopiness)

4) Now resume your save and see if you can make it to the endgame.

(Possible way to get around steps #1 and #2, just disable video sequences until you reach a point where you can save the game.) 

So far so good here, but I haven't really had the time to give it a real thorough testing yet.

Do you think the 4.11 drivers are better than the 4.10s cause thats what I have been using.