Sound

If i buy a game i expect it to work. If there is a support forum i expect people to help me out i am acting like a kid just the way i am when im angry  :)

Yeah, we're all as frustrated as you. Just take a deep breath and try to be patient. We're not tech support, we're gamers, and none of us have found a solution yet. It ain't gonna go any faster with a slew of repeated requests for help, and might even drive away some help...

I've been hanging out over at LucasArts as well as here, and no one's come up with a viable fix for the "Disabled Sound to Play" issue there either.

One guy got his to work by reinstalling his audio drivers, but no one else has had any luck with that. As soon as someone finds a plausible solution, I'm sure it will get passed around.

Ive checked using the hardware checker if i have latest drivers for everything, it said i had. In the thing i posted it said EAX = 0 maybe KoTOR 2 requires this EAX.

My system specs are :

P4 2.80 GHZ

120GB

Geforce FX5900XT

Im not sure on sound card, i have Creative speakers with Sub Woofer which ive bought recently maybe this may give some hand in this problem.

Rather than starting a new thread i think i may comment on another bug.

Its called Dantooine, its a buggy pos. First my weapon dissapeared now in the Jedi Enclave my weapons do no damage (is this meant to be in the game) But i doubt it its really annoying have to use force powers which are low :/ (none of my squad damage) !!!

Hi,

I seem to have solved my problem i.e. it loads (w00t)

I haven't tried anything else as i thought i should post my success and reasons why it worked this time.

It was a SOUND problem.

I am running both a Plantronics USB Headset and a SB Live (old i know :) ) and for some reason it only works with SB Live.

Just thought this might help some people.

Many thanks for all your help,

rahaney

Hudson - just a few thoughts that might help:

First off, the game doesn't require eax to run. Have you tried cycling through all the audio quality options in game?

Try using the software sound option (or if that's already enabled, switch to hardware)

You could also try using older versions of the soundcard driver (do you have the driver that came with your machine?) - you may get lucky with a particular version (driver support for onboard sound can be iffy at times).

Another options is to set your hardware acceleration to a lower setting. To do this, go into control panel and open sound and audio devices. Click on the audio tab and in the default device box click advanced. Under performance move the slider to basic (one notch before the end).

Your speakers won't be causing a problem unless you aren't hearing sound in other games either. What I would really recommend for you if you have the money available is upgrade to a good quality soundcard - I guarantee it will make a big difference over any onboard soundcard, particularly if you have 5.1 speakers. The Audigy 2 Value is a bargain at the moment (and that definitely works with the game so far.

What I would really recommend for you if you have the money available is upgrade to a good quality soundcard - I guarantee it will make a big difference over any onboard soundcard, particularly if you have 5.1 speakers. The Audigy 2 Value is a bargain at the moment (and that definitely works with the game so far.

tbh i dont fancy upgrading my soundcard for one game, i have an old creative sb pci64 and it is 100% directx compatible and plays every other game/software audio/song/website i have purchased/visited to date without a problem, that this game will only run without sound isnt a user problem or even a hardware problem, its a coding problem, hell even with the games on system diagnostic it checks out as fine, my only warning is on my graphics card and it looks great when running.

keep the faith hudson, as annoying as it is mate

btw for those who told me to keep them posted i havent had a mail from activision tech support in 4 days now

Sorry Hudson, had freezing rain here and not only did I fall but I managed to smash myself up pretty good. Neck and sholders are killing me...also lost track of your post my appologies.

I got a chance to look over your post, obvious things were posted by adrich81, try forcing software sound first. If that doesn't work...I'm not sure what type of motherboard you have or the manufacture. Make sure you have the latest drivers from them for the Avance AC97 Audio.

Next solution...I know you are going to hate this. Myself I hate onboard soundcards...they usually are not upto snuff and the drivers are crap and cause problems like this. Pick up a cheap SB Live 5.1, up here in Canada they run around $30.

If you can't figure out what drivers to install or you think you've got the lastest find out what brand your motherboard is and I'll look it up. I'll need the type, and the brand number.

If it's Asus it would be something like ASUS P4B or AV8 or something like that. Similar things for different boards.

I'm going to spring for a new soundcard, since I'm running a Monster Sound MX300. It looks like that COULD be the reason I can't run without disabling sound.

Here's my post elsewhere, quoting the LucasArts problems with various soundcards:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?th...=29498&tstart=0

If you have a Vortex-based card, you might be out of luck.

I dont know if your quite getting it. I have to disable sound to get the game to run. So it is me who is making the no sound but i want to know how to let it have sound and still run. When i have sound on it doesnt load i have to close it down via Ctrl + Alt + Delete and ending task in system processing because it doesnt apear, it doesnt use any cpu power either !

No...I'm following. More or less...you should still be able to turn off EAX from inside the game with the sound disabled(I should have been more clear since it's on by default). However, if the game is refusing the run at all and you are getting no cpu usage when the game is running with that audio driver...that makes me think you have some type of audio driver problem. And it's hanging on that.

The only thing I can suggest is trying another sound card or an earlier driver set and seeing what happens. I know when the original KoTOR came out some people copied the miles audio config from another game over and got it to work...but it didn't work in all cases. Other then that...you are pushing my tech limit without seeing the machine in front of me. Short of crossing the ocean...heh. As much as I would love to make a trip :p

If you have to keep the onboard sound, best thing I can tell you is to go into the control panel and cut "Sound Acceleration" all the way to the left(Software emulation I believe). Generally, this will get most games working when you've got incompatibilities.

I dont understand why i should try and reinstall everything when everything but kotor works fine tbh no point. I believe its there end which is broken not mine because games that are alot more demanding like doom3 and hl2 which both have awesom sound Run excellent graphically and audio alike. So i am open to more suggestions !

I dont understand why i should try and reinstall everything when everything but kotor works fine tbh no point. I believe its there end which is broken not mine because games that are alot more demanding like doom3 and hl2 which both have awesom sound Run excellent graphically and audio alike. So i am open to more suggestions !

Just for the hell of it - have you tried alt-tabbing out of the game, opening up the config box, and reenabling sound there?

What we're suggesting you try with the sound (apart from changing your hardware acceleration in Windows - can you confrim reults with it set to no acceleration and basic acceleration?) is this:

With sound disabled, go into the game.

In the options menu select sound and select "no eax" (or whatever they list it as) and select "software sound" (this last bit is very important).

Exit the game and relaunch it with sound enabled.

Please post back with your results, and confirm the steps you took (it's far easier for us to help you if we know more or less exactly what you've tried).

Ok the eax setting is actually good then (solves one issue by itself).

Have you also tried selecting software sound on the same screen?

(also have you tried checking the "force software sound" in the configuration program?)

I seem to remember I posted detailed instructions earlier on selecting the level of hardware accleration for your soundcard in windows. Did you try them? If you couldn't follow them, post back and let me know.