Can't install KOTOR2

Blade

Since yesterday I try to install KOTOR2, without any success! When I try to excute the setup and the installShield wizzard appears, an error occurs!

Error description:

Errorcode: -5009 : 0x8002802b

Errorinformations:

>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)

>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (391)

>Kernel\Component.cpp (1161)

>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1694)

PAPP:Star Wars

even though you have tried to close down background apps i would like for you to try a selective startup

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Process System.ini File, Process WIn.ini File, and Load Startup Items check boxes. You cannot clear the Use Original Boot.ini check box. (don't clear system services checkbox)

3. Click on OK and accept the restart.

This can always be reversed if it is found to not be helpful by running msconfig and selecting 'normal boot' again.

I guess you are right! I found a description on the site of InstallShield how to update it.

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108322

I have seen, that they using InstallShield version 10.0.0.159 for installing KOTOR2!

So as it is sugested on this page I tried to update InstallShield to version 10, and exactly the same error does appears!

So I tried to update to an older version 9.01 and no error appeard! But if i try again to install KOTOR2 it fails again, I believe the initial InstallShield screen tries to update the InstallShield version on my computer and fails!

Does anyone got some expirience with updating InstallShield! Help is much appreciated! Thanks!

I got it installed! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

The last Idea I had was that maybe there is to much crab of InstallShield on my computer, so what I did, I' ve called my brother, and asked him (he could install it) what exactely for files and subfolders are under the folder (on his computer) where installShield is installed.

First I downloaded from the site

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108247

the ikernelupdate.exe and reinstalled it like it is described there.

then I delete all subfolders which where different to my brothers subfolders and it worked

InstallShield is located under the following path on my computer (the path can be different --> most of my applications are german and also my OS):

C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\InstallShield\

there where just two subfolders on my brothers computer, namely:

- Engine

- IScript

So I deleted all other subfolders, except this two, launched the setup again and it worket!! :D

Afterwards the installation went trough without any other problems, also the problem with the changeing of cd's didn't appears (topics in this forum were about this problem). Maybe this solution can also be useful to fix the cd change problem!

This was definitely the longest installation I've erver done in my life!

Thanks for your help StarKiller!

• 1 month later...
Another thanks to both of you! :rolleyes:

I had the very same problem, too.

I wish everyone asking about problems were good enough to post their solutions, like you did. It can really help others.

I've tried everything listed here in this topic, and nothing has worked.

Did both Installshield fixes, selective startup, copying discs to my HD, trying the install on other PCs. I even cleaned the discs.

I get a Feature Transfer Error when trying to copy "models.bif" from disc 1. This says it is a catastrophic failure.

What is going on with my install?

Another thanks to both of you! :)

I had the very same problem, too.

I wish everyone asking about problems were good enough to post their solutions, like you did. It can really help others.

I've tried everything listed here in this topic, and nothing has worked.

Did both Installshield fixes, selective startup, copying discs to my HD, trying the install on other PCs. I even cleaned the discs.

I get a Feature Transfer Error when trying to copy "models.bif" from disc 1. This says it is a catastrophic failure.

What is going on with my install?

That sounds like a different error entirely. I've read about 2 solutions to the various installation problems. One of them might help you:

1. Try copying the contents of your CDs onto your hard drive, and install the game from there. You'll still need disk 1 to play, but once you got the game installed, you shouldn't have any further trouble.

I installed my copy this way. At first, install was taking in excess of 8 hours, and not installing correctly. By installing from the HD, I was done within 1 hour or so.

2. If the above method doesn't work, you got stuck with a faulty disk. Youneed to return your copy of the game for a new copy.