This is why people buy Xbox

I'm a big PC fan, but all this nonsense surrounding bugs, crashes, and poor performance is why people just give up in frustration and buy consoles.

I've been reading through the threads trying to solve my troubles on a Radeon 9800 Pro, and I cannot *believe* the workarounds that some people are finding necessary (download the 4.2 Cats, uncompress the OpenGL driver, swap it with the newer one, etc.)

This is nuts. Somehow I doubt the Xbox version of KOTOR 2 required people to mod their Boxes and install patches.

Whatever. As soon as the PS3 or Xbox 2 hit the market, I think I'm giving up on PC gaming. I'm sick of this. KOTOR 3 (if there is one), is going to be played in my living room while I sit in my couch. I figure it'll all be HDTV by then.

With how complicated the console games are getting now there are going to be major problems with them too. They won't be able to completely clear it with bugs, and its far easier to get a patch through the PC than through a console.

With how complicated the console games are getting now there are going to be major problems with them too. They won't be able to completely clear it with bugs, and its far easier to get a patch through the PC than through a console.

You really think so? With a PS3 or Xbox 2, I imagine you'll have a persistent broadband connection and as soon as you load a game it will automatically patch itself, no user intervention required. You probably won't even know it's happening.

Now think about the current KOTOR 2 debacle on the PC -- what exactly are we patching? The graphics driver? The OpenGL driver? Which version to use? And that's all before Obsidian even releases a REAL patch!

PC's aren't so unstable like everybody thinks...

My PC is self-build with self-chosen components, so the danger of non-compatibility is pretty high.

I never encountered such big problems with a game in the last four years. And I played a lot of games in that time: Be it Doom3, GTA or Baldur's Gate 2...

The QA of Obsidian is simply a shame...and that LucasArts didn't do anything about it.

Nah. I've seen shoddy releases...it was called the Ruins of Myth Drannor. What happens here is you get a good dev. team backed into a corner by a publisher who says "NOW" and that's it.

No up, no down, no way around it. When I worked in heavy manfg. it was similar when we rolled out new products. Even if the stuff wasn't ready(bug in PLC programing or controller failures, etc), it would be shipped and fixed later. That should tell you the state of the world.

Ofcourse when KoTOR was released the forums were filled with posts just like this as well. :) It dies in time...

This game, any version, was just not finished or properly QA tested by either LA or Obsidian.

And with regard to the new console systems coming out... They will basically be high end PCs packaged as a stand alone gaming system with the ease-of-use that consoles generally market themselves on.

The specs for the XBox II... Even if just speculation... Are insane. A possible P4 3.0 GHz chip, ATI Radeon X800 type of GPU... 512+ of RAM. That IS a high end gaming rig any way you slice it and the only thing beating it is possibly the PS3's new chip and current AMD64-bit chips.

But I have to admit that if developers USE that technology, hopefully, we will get more sophisticated games on the consoles and it really will be a choice of what do you want to play and on what instead of "this kind of game for this kind of platform".