Congratulations on Screwing it up Obsidian

have any of you opened your manuals and looked at the QA credits?  You'll find them right under the heading "LucasArts, a division of LucasFilms".

if you want to keep flipping out and flaming about this games lack of polish, go do it on the LA forums.

That's another issue Tent - the manual. I was a bit dissapointed that they went the cheap route of including an XBOX-esque style manual. I was expecting the spiral bound counterpart w/ charts & tables ala K1 PC version. :(

manthing2.jpg

have any of you opened your manuals and looked at the QA credits?  You'll find them right under the heading "LucasArts, a division of LucasFilms".

if you want to keep flipping out and flaming about this games lack of polish, go do it on the LA forums.

That's another issue Tent - the manual. I was a bit dissapointed that they went the cheap route of including an XBOX-esque style manual. I was expecting the spiral bound counterpart w/ charts & tables ala K1 PC version. :(

Again, this is something that Bioware understands and they take no shortcuts. Bioware is the #1 RPG developer in the world because quality is a high priority.

Those I've talked to say it crashes often, and I've experienced it first hand. Frames drop severely on a certain agricultural planet. Cutscenes skip, cameras appear in heads, textures disappear and there are spelling errors. When an NPC spoke about "Bastilla," I found it a pretty glaring mistake. One 'l', not two. KotOR1 had its crashes, but nowhere near as much as KotOR2.

Indeed, LucasArts rushed Obsidian, and no doubt they seemed eager to please LA too. Another month of beta testing would not have hurt at all, nor would it have hurt for LA to supply a few more testers if they wanted it out so quickly.

Oh, and whoever posted up the review scores for KotOR2; sure, they're good scores, but the content and story are good enough -- once you're past the first two regions -- to keep the score up, despite the large number of bugs.

The least LA or Obsidian could do would be to patch the game quick-smart, and/or release that extra content that they supposedly dropped.

KOTOR2 PC = 84%

KOTOR2 Xbox = 86%

With scores in the mid-eighties on GameRankings.com, i'd say that Obsidian got it right with KOTOR 2.

Ya that puts it right between Champoins of Norrath(PS/2) 86.0%

And Tales of Symphonia 85.7%

So I wouldnt usher the game in as one of the greatest of alltime.

Just for curiosity's sake Kotor got 94%

Vampire Bloodlines got 81%

Jedi Academy(PC) got 80%

Morrowind :wub: got 89%

Halo 2 got 95%

So I guess take it for what its worth

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Again, this is something that Bioware understands and they take no shortcuts. Bioware is the #1 RPG developer in the world because quality is a high priority.

Actually I seriously doubt that the manual and packaging had anything to do with either Bioware or Obsidian. That's stuff that the publisher takes care of.

Actually I seriously doubt that the manual and packaging had anything to do with either Bioware or Obsidian. That's stuff that the publisher takes care of.

it IS something the publisher takes care of. thats not just speculation, thats a fact. the devs commented on it a while back when someone asked if the manual was going to be more indepth than kotor1 manual, saying that they had no clue and that it was lucasarts who took care of that.

"have any of you opened your manuals and looked at the QA credits? You'll find them right under the heading "LucasArts, a division of LucasFilms"."

If you looked isndie your manual; you would notice that KOTOR2 was developed by Obsidian which means THEY created the bugs.

"OE: 18 months.

Bioware: 3 years.

Lucasfilms: Lucasarts, we need to make money.

Lucasarts: I think its a great idea to release it before Christmas even though Obsidian's not done yet."

OE = Having an already made engine for them, and alos pre made story, characters, items, etc. and focusing on just one game.

BIO = Creating or I should recreating a whole new engine + making an actual game + dveloping more than one game (as much as 3-4) at the same time.

You are right. There is no comaprison here. OE had a sure fiire hit on their hands due to being a sequel to a game that won so many awards, so manya ccoldaes, and got super high ratings from mostly everyone. BIO, on the other hand, had to prove that they were up to taks in making a SW game into a RPG while SW games sell reasonably well; they can (and have) bombed.

Nice try though in your spin attempt.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

it IS something the publisher takes care of. thats not just speculation, thats a fact. the devs commented on it a while back when someone asked if the manual was going to be more indepth than kotor1 manual, saying that they had no clue and that it was lucasarts who took care of that.

The first KotOR had a well-done manual and I believe it was spiral-bound like the other Bioware games ... coincidence? Not a chance :)

The first KotOR had a well-done manual and I believe it was spiral-bound like the other Bioware games ... coincidence?  Not a chance :)

whats your point?

what part of "lucasarts is in charge of making the manuals" didnt you understand? all that means is lucasarts decided to cut back on kotor2s manual.

seriously, its fine that youre upset with obsidians product, but it completely takes away from your point of view when you blame things that ARE NOT theyre fault, such as the quality of the manual.

thats like blaming obsidian for poor customer support because the guy at best buy who sold you the game was a jerk to you.

Replying to confirm each of the major gripes listed by the original poster.

I picked up the PC version last Thursday, and to date, I have not gone for more than a 40 minute period without the game faulting and crashing to desktop (almost always due to invalid memory access).

This is consistently reproable, and is in fact, called out explicitly in the Readme.txt included along with the game

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

The game may freeze or crash to a blank screen if you play

in one level for extended periods of time. This was typically

seen when playing the game between thirty and forty minutes

without transitioning to a new level or movie. We recommend

that you save the game often to avoid losing progress if you

encounter this issue.

30-40 minutes, like clockwork. I've logged about 25 hrs in my current save game, but have had to replay large chunks of the game due to crashes corrupting my save game files, and have probably experienced well over 80 such issues already.

For all you naysayers out there - stop it. Issues exist, as confirmed by the developers themselves (read quote above).

This would be a prime case of "there's memory corruption, we did not fix it yet, but you have a window of around 30-40 minutes before it kills the runtime"

In any case - overall, the game is very enjoyable, albeit a bit too short for my taste....took me 20 hours from start to finish with all subquests done, whereas KoTOR 1 took around 35 hours.

Maybe it's because I played half of the game with constant Force Speed on :thumbsup:

Replying to confirm each of the major gripes listed by the original poster.

I picked up the PC version last Thursday, and to date, I have not gone for more than a 40 minute period without the game faulting and crashing to desktop (almost always due to invalid memory access).

This is consistently reproable, and is in fact, called out explicitly in the Readme.txt included along with the game

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

The game may freeze or crash to a blank screen if you play

in one level for extended periods of time. This was typically

seen when playing the game between thirty and forty minutes

without transitioning to a new level or movie. We recommend

that you save the game often to avoid losing progress if you

encounter this issue.

30-40 minutes, like clockwork. I've logged about 25 hrs in my current save game, but have had to replay large chunks of the game due to crashes corrupting my save game files, and have probably experienced well over 80 such issues already.

For all you naysayers out there - stop it. Issues exist, as confirmed by the developers themselves (read quote above).

I'm not a "programmer", but having knowledge of that sort of problem in product you release seems.... wrong? In a really bad sort of way?

It makes me wonder if they were aware of problems in the xbox version as well, but didn't see fit to mention it. Because if you're OK with releasing a product that crashes frequently, what's some broken skills to you?

-Random crashes (that never happened in the original)

My PC has crashed only once and I am almost finished with the game. You can take this as it is, but K1 and both HotU do this to me as well. Usually when I've been playing for a long time.

-Voice-over dialogue sequences being skipped/don't display properly at times
I've had this problem in K1 several times, as well. Especially on the Ebon Hawk when talking to Bastila.

-Horrible framerate at times
If I've played the game for too long both in K1 and K2 I've had frame rate problems. There are however serious framerate problems on the Xbox, but that may be because my Xbox is a referb.
-Many spelling errors/typos in dialogue
The only dialogue errors I have observed is that NPCs keep referring to Revan as "he" when I had specifically said that Revan was female. :)
-Trained Feats reseting and forever lost after training them (flurry mastery, for example)
This I have never see, though that does not mean you have not. :thumbsup: I take it back I have had this problem but not in K2 and only with Carth and Canderous' feats in K1. I'm not sure it actually happened but I was positive that I gave either of them a feat and then had to give it them again. But I can't prove that it happened so...
-MANY broken side quests (especially on Dantooine)
There are four sidequest that I know can not be completed after completing other quests. TSF bounties: criminals (Citadel Station/Telos), Ghosts to Rest, Cave Crawling(Dantooine) and Vogga the Hutt (Nar Shaddaa). <_<

While I agree that more testing would have resulted in a better game, the game on the whole (to me at least, I can not speak for everyone obviously) is not that bad.

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

There are four sidequest that I know can not be completed after completing other quests. TSF bounties: criminals (Citadel Station/Telos), Ghosts to Rest, Cave Crawling(Dantooine) and Vogga the Hutt (Nar Shaddaa). <_<

While I agree that more testing would have resulted in a better game, the game on the whole (to me at least, I can not speak for everyone obviously) is not that bad.

'Redemption' (Dantooine) as well. :thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

I never even figured out how to finish that quest and it's not in the Prima guide either... :thumbsup:

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

'Redemption' (Dantooine) as well. :thumbsup:

Meh i completed 'Redemption'. So it is possible, there may be a very specific way of doing it however.

Well all of the quests above are finishable you just have to know how to go about it or finish them before you do other things. :thumbsup:

I just wanted to extend my congratulations for shipping a sequel littered with major gameplay bugs that could not have been missed if this game had been beta-tested *at all*.

Good job on screwing up the franchise.

Honestly, did you think that you could get away with pushing out a game that didn't even play right?  Let me list just a FEW of the problems that I've had so far and I'm not even half way through the game:

-Trained Feats reseting and forever lost after training them (flurry mastery, for example)

When are you going to learn that gamers do not stand for this BS.  Here's a piece of advice; don't make a game unless you're going to do it right because all you do is let down the community.

Buy an x-box less mess and less stress

I just wanted to extend my congratulations for shipping a sequel littered with major gameplay bugs that could not have been missed if this game had been beta-tested *at all*.

Good job on screwing up the franchise.

Honestly, did you think that you could get away with pushing out a game that didn't even play right?  Let me list just a FEW of the problems that I've had so far and I'm not even half way through the game:

When are you going to learn that gamers do not stand for this BS.  Here's a piece of advice; don't make a game unless you're going to do it right because all you do is let down the community.

I dunno about that. The xbox version isn't going to be patched... I'd just hope for a PC patch at this point.

I have an XBOX, I just decided to wait for the PC version because I like higher resolution textures and better lighting/shadows.

And for those that say "this game runs fine on my system!" ... have a look at this:

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/reviews/42011.shtml

KOTOR II boasts a few small visual enhancements, such as cleaner textures and new weather effects. But the performance is disappointing; the frame rate frequently sputtered even on a high-end test PC equipped with a 3.4 GHz processor, 2 gigs of RAM and a cutting-edge Radeon X800 XT.

So, as you can see ... it's not just "us" and it's not just Radeon cards because i have a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB and I still have framerate problems.