Congratulations on Screwing it up Obsidian

I just wanted to extend my congratulations for shipping a sequel littered with major gameplay bugs that could not have been missed if this game had been beta-tested *at all*.

Good job on screwing up the franchise.

Honestly, did you think that you could get away with pushing out a game that didn't even play right? Let me list just a FEW of the problems that I've had so far and I'm not even half way through the game:

-Random crashes (that never happened in the original)

-Voice-over dialogue sequences being skipped/don't display properly at times

-Horrible framerate at times

-Many spelling errors/typos in dialogue

-Trained Feats reseting and forever lost after training them (flurry mastery, for example)

-MANY broken side quests (especially on Dantooine)

When are you going to learn that gamers do not stand for this BS. Here's a piece of advice; don't make a game unless you're going to do it right because all you do is let down the community.

I'm guessing you have the PC version? I can't debate that since I don't own it for PC. However it doesn't seem to be tht bad for xbox. Maybe for once xbox gets the advantage.... :D

But I must agree that if you don't test a game, you can't expect it to actually be 'good'. If I wasn't such a fan of Star Wars and Kotor 1, I probably wouldn't have got it. I mean simple things like spelling errors are just not excusable.

Stop blaming Developers for the Publisher's decisions. It was LucasArts that pushed up the deadline by two months so they could sell the Xbox version before Christmas, and LucasArts that decided if the product was fit for retail.

Yes, Obsidian had two months to port and polish up the PC release, but their contract was over the moment the Xbox version was pumped out. What can you expect when the rest of the team went over to work on NWN 2?

Stop blaming Developers for the Publisher's decisions. It was LucasArts that pushed up the deadline by two months so they could sell the Xbox version before Christmas, and LucasArts that decided if the product was fit for retail.

Yes, Obsidian had two months to port and polish up the PC release, but their contract was over the moment the Xbox version was pumped out. What can you expect when the rest of the team went over to work on NWN 2?

Actually, I saw a video interview on IGN with Obsidian where they said that PC version was finished at the exact same time as the XBOX version and that it was "nice" because it "gave them time to work on international version (languages)".

So, nothing was ever pushed up. In fact, the XBOX version doesn't have the problems of the PC version so what's the deal? IT WASN'T TESTED. And yes, it is as much Obsidian's fault as it is LucasArts. If I were a START-UP COMPANY and this was my first major title, I wouldn't let LucasArts push me around and fail to provide the resources to properly test the game.

again, dont exaggerate. it happened often in kotor1 as well. if you dont want to take my word for it, try the old bioware tech forums about kotor1, especially pre-final patch.

never experienced this.

no comment. i have the xbox version and mine was fine 99% of the time.

some spelling errors? yes, and that is unacceptable. but many? dont exaggerate.

-Trained Feats reseting and forever lost after training them (flurry mastery, for example)

never seen that happen. ever.

such as? i can think of ONE side quest that seemed incomplete. if that is the only one youre referring to, again, this is the third time you exaggerated to try and prove your point.

Actually, I saw a video interview on IGN with Obsidian where they said that PC version was finished at the exact same time as the XBOX version and that it was "nice" because it "gave them time to work on international version (languages)".

So, nothing was ever pushed up.  In fact, the XBOX version doesn't have the problems of the PC version so what's the deal?  IT WASN'T TESTED.  And yes, it is as much Obsidian's fault as it is LucasArts.  If I were a START-UP COMPANY and this was my first major title, I wouldn't let LucasArts push me around and fail to provide the resources to properly test the game.

Well, for a start-up company, what power would they really have to resist being bullied around by a much larger, much more established company that is writing their paycheck? :(

And do you really believe that the PC and Xbox versions were completed on time, considering just how much was cut out before release? We lost the droid factory, most of the events on Malachor V, bucketloads of subquests, and had barely any QA testing for either platform.

Edit: oh, and it does make sense that the Xbox doesn't have as many problems as the PC, considering it has standardized hardware. The Xbox's video card is a GeForce :p

Edit Edit: And a quick clarification, I'm not saying Obsidian is utterly blameless in this issue, I just get quirked whenever I see hordes of people blaming the developers without half a word against the publisher. It's like watching an employee get fired because the manager screwed up :shifty:

"Stop blaming Developers for the Publisher's decisions."

Stop blaming the publisher for the dveloper's bugs. Why do people insist giving Obsidian props for the good aprts of the game; but none of the negative?

People have even blamed BIo for some of KOTOR's negatives; but don't give them credit for the positive. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Stop blaming the publisher for the dveloper's bugs. Why do people insist giving Obsidian props for the good aprts of the game; but none of the negative?

People have even blamed BIo for some of KOTOR's negatives; but don't give them credit for the positive. R00fles!

I've never said the game wasn't buggy as all hell, I'm just saying stop laying 100% of the fault on the developers :shifty:

Hell, I wouldn't have even bothered commenting if the post's title was "Congratulations on Screwing it up Obsidian and LucasArts".

How does this suit you, OE sucks for making this game, LA sucks for rushing the developement of the game and the game sucks becuase of the two companies tied to it.

OE has made games before under many different names (there is what 4 different companies that made up OE) So they should know how to deal with companies like LA and M$. They should have had enough sense to stand their ground and say look we need X amount of time to finish the game no more no less and if you don't like it well we are sorry but thats the best we can do with the resources we currently have (and I am no fool to belive that LA would have just blindly agreed to that but they might have been able to work with OE to give them more staff or what not to keep the game on track). They should have also insisted that they perform the QA in house or at the very least at a company of their choosing.

LA is more than just a little responseable for the shape of the game, while they didn't have much to do with the way the game was coded they were in turn responseable for the time table being moved up two months (which really didn't matter because this game needed more like 6 months to finish it). Which lead to the game having many major side plots (character back sotries for one) being either cut or cut short. If they had left OE three years to build this game (or in other words it would have been out Dec 2005 instead of Dec 2004/Feb 2005) it would more than likely be 100 times better than it currently is, and more than likely twice the game that KOTOR was.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

So, nothing was ever pushed up. In fact, the XBOX version doesn't have the problems of the PC version so what's the deal? IT WASN'T TESTED. And yes, it is as much Obsidian's fault as it is LucasArts. If I were a START-UP COMPANY and this was my first major title, I wouldn't let LucasArts push me around and fail to provide the resources to properly test the game.

Yes you would. Obsidian doesn't own any rights to the Star Wars franchise, that means whatever they do has to be given the okay by the guys at LA. I'm pretty sure if the guys at Obsidian started bitching and talking crap to LA then they would have went to someone else. If your boss gives you a deadline you meet it.

I just wanted to extend my congratulations for shipping a sequel littered with major gameplay bugs that could not have been missed if this game had been beta-tested *at all*.

Honestly, did you think that you could get away with pushing out a game that didn't even play right?  Let me list just a FEW of the problems that I've had so far and I'm not even half way through the game:

When are you going to learn that gamers do not stand for this BS.  Here's a piece of advice; don't make a game unless you're going to do it right because all you do is let down the community.

its you dude my pc kotor2 not 1 crashed or any of the bugs i encountered you mentioned.

its you dude my pc kotor2 not 1 crashed or any of the bugs i encountered you mentioned.

Just me and thousands of others you mean? The PC version is plagued with problems. Maybe you're just not observant enough to catch the problems. The game was not tested ... or the product was knowingly shipped with major problems.

Just me and thousands of others you mean? The PC version is plagued with problems. Maybe you're just not observant enough to catch the problems. The game was not tested ... or the product was knowingly shipped with major problems.

as long it dont effect me i can careless, i beat the game 5 x already not 1 crash or ran into the bugs you mention i have been using a geforce 2 card mind you. but i LOVe kotor2 soo much if i encounter any of it ill still play it. hell i also have to xbox version of kotor2.

dude, just wait for a patch.

it has only been 4 days since it was released in the US and only 1 day in the UK, give them time to release a patch.

Just imagine Vampire Bloodlines, the game using Half Life 2 Source Engine, being SOOOOOOOO slow and activision says its our machines being too slow for it. (even a 3Ghz has slowdowns. lol)

Basicly, give it time and the problems will be fixed by lucasarts or by some fan. (which Lucasarts should do anything about since they should have ok'ed the patches anyway.)

as long it dont effect me i can careless, i beat the game 5 x already not 1 crash  or ran into the bugs you mention i have been using a geforce 2 card mind you.

Again, we're talking about the PC version of the game, not XBOX.

It's pretty clear that the XBOX version received all of Obsidian's attention ... maybe in the future spare us from a sub-standard game and just focus on one platform?

I shouldn't have to "wait for a patch" ... I paid a lot of money for the game and it should have been done right in the first place.

it has only been 4 days since it was released in the US and only 1 day in the UK, give them time to release a patch.

Just imagine Vampire Bloodlines, the game using Half Life 2 Source Engine, being SOOOOOOOO slow and activision says its our machines being too slow for it. (even a 3Ghz has slowdowns. lol)

Basicly, give it time and the problems will be fixed by lucasarts or by some fan. (which Lucasarts should do anything about since they should have ok'ed the patches anyway.)

for the dialog and spelling errors you can fix that your self you dont need to wait for the patch... ALL YOU NEED IS KOTOR TOOL ,NWN EDITOR

as long it dont effect me i can careless, i beat the game 5 x already not 1 crash  or ran into the bugs you mention i have been using a geforce 2 card mind you.

Again, we're talking about the PC version of the game, not XBOX.

It's pretty clear that the XBOX version received all of Obsidian's attention ... maybe in the future spare us from a sub-standard game and just focus on one platform?

I shouldn't have to "wait for a patch" ... I paid a lot of money for the game and it should have been done right in the first place.

um i was TALKING ABOUT THE PC KOTOR2 NOT xbox.

Honestly, did you think that you could get away with pushing out a game that didn't even play right?  Let me list just a FEW of the problems that I've had so far and I'm not even half way through the game:

When are you going to learn that gamers do not stand for this BS.  Here's a piece of advice; don't make a game unless you're going to do it right because all you do is let down the community.

i played the game 15 hours so far and i didnt experience any of the bugs you mentioned,no crash ,no bad framerqate no broken quests ,i cant comment on the rest since i have the german version and spelling is fine there .for the crashes ,bad fps : let me gues you have a ati card am i right? the ogl support from ati is really horible and gets worser and worser with each driver version ,so dont blame obsidian ,blame ati for not making proper ogl support in their drivers !

ati makes good hardware but their drivers especaly the ogl part is really ****ty.

i played the game 15 hours so far and i didnt experience any of the bugs you mentioned,no crash ,no bad framerqate no broken quests ,i cant comment on the rest since i have the german version and spelling is fine there .for the crashes ,bad fps : let me gues you have a ati card am i right? the ogl support from ati is really horible and gets worser and worser with each driver version ,so dont blame obsidian ,blame ati for not making proper ogl support in their drivers !

ati makes good hardware but their drivers especaly the ogl part is really ****ty.

i agree