Should I buy it or wait for the patch?

Well, I've been waiting for the game since it was announced, too, but I've decided I'm not paying for a faulty product. Hence I've decided to rent it first. Yep, I know not everyone can rent PC games, but I don't think I would buy it either if I couldn't rent it.

For me it's more a matter of supporting a faulty product and thus encouraging more games to be released in that state, rather than the fact of spending the money itself.

And of course, it depends on your tolerance of bugs, too...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

well, i don't think Obsidian would want their first product to be a bug-invested disaster, it is bad for business, so i think they should fix them as soon as they can, but i don't see why Lucasarts needs to say yes or no to patches, who cares if they own the rights to Starwars, i would put the customers first, which any decent company would do, but hey, there is no such thing as a decent company.

i don't see why Lucasarts needs to say yes or no to patches, who cares if they own the rights to Starwars, i would put the customers first, which any decent company would do, but hey, there is no such thing as a decent company.

THINK before you post. They are not going to risk a lawsuit just because a bunch of people whine and bitch for a patch on their forums. Nobody with half a brain would.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

i don't see why Lucasarts needs to say yes or no to patches, who cares if they own the rights to Starwars, i would put the customers first, which any decent company would do, but hey, there is no such thing as a decent company.

THINK before you post. They are not going to risk a lawsuit just because a bunch of people whine and bitch for a patch on their forums. Nobody with half a brain would.

I know, i was just stating my opinion.....but lately, i haven't been plagued by bugs, so i won't be complaining. lol

I was just saying, Lucasarts should just fund for the patches and thats it..

"THINK before you post. They are not going to risk a lawsuit just because a bunch of people whine and bitch for a patch on their forums. Nobody with half a brain would."

Yeah, whatever. LA is really gonna sue Obsidian for releasing a patch. You'd have to be gullible to believe that nonsense.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"THINK before you post. They are not going to risk a lawsuit just because a bunch of people whine and bitch for a patch on their forums. Nobody with half a brain would."

Yeah, whatever. LA is really gonna sue Obsidian for releasing a patch. You'd have to be gullible to believe that nonsense.

I would think that LA would go along with anything if it would increase sales of their products.

You are not reading either, are you Volo? I didn't say LA will sue OE. I said that just the threat of a possible lawsuit is enough for OE to wait for the official thumbsup for the patch, if there is any.

And in case you don't know, LA has been known for shutting down mod projects and whatnot for not complying with copyright laws and stuff. The same could happen with a patch.

"And in case you don't know, LA has been known for shutting down mod projects and whatnot for not complying with copyright laws and stuff. The same could happen with a patch."

I'm glad you brought up a completely unrelated issue. A patch being made for a LA game, and mod projects breaking the law are two seperate things.

Only unrelated in your mind. Copyright infringement can be commited by Mike Gallo himself, if he doesn't count with the official support of LA. OE MUST be allowed to put out a patch by LA, due to the license stuff, at least from a legal standpoint. That can't be argued.

"Only unrelated in your mind. Copyright infringement can be commited by Mike Gallo himself, if he doesn't count with the official support of LA. OE MUST be allowed to put out a patch by LA, due to the license stuff, at least from a legal standpoint. That can't be argued."

Ahh.. So, you've seen the contract. :)

Meanwhile back at the topic...

I briefly read the support forum on Thursday and almost didn't buy as a result. Does create a rather negative impression. But it is difficult to judge the extent of problems because the satisfied punters are too busy playing to post on forums.

Based on about 12 hours of play, I'd rate it about as buggy as the first game was upon release. I'd rate that as almost, but not quite, unplayable buggy: Inherently unstable with a few issues that make you wonder if it couldn't have used another month of QA. But nothing that a few work-arounds (like saving very regularly) can't solve.

My main point is that the game itself is very good: There is enough gameplay to counter my annoyance at poor technical implementation. Obviously those that can't install it or get it to start may disagree here :shifty: .

(P4-1.7, 768 RAM, GF3 64MB, W2K SP4 - in case you were wondering.)

Fact of the matter is we don't know what the contract between LA and OE covers. But if you think about it, if LA gave OE the power to produce patches, they'd also have to pay them for the time and effort in creating the patch. I doubt LA would allow themselves to have such an open-ended contract ("Oh, we need a hundred patches, pony up the cash."), or that OE would waive payment for patches ("Oh, crap, we need a hundred patches... how much is this going to cost us?").

This is just speculation, of course, but it's not far fetched. Whenever I get a buggy game that I really liked (or wanted to like), I would visit the forums to see if there are any news about a patch - and invariably, after sifting through all the profanities and blaming-of-developers-and-not-the-publishers (:shifty:), I would find a post or announcement stating that the developer is waiting on the publisher to give them a green light and funding for the patch.

LA certainly isn't any different from the other publishers out there, which was made painfully obvious when they gimped development by pushing the Xbox release date up by two whole months.

Based on about 12 hours of play, I'd rate it about as buggy as the first game was upon release. I'd rate that as almost, but not quite, unplayable buggy: Inherently unstable with a few issues that make you wonder if it couldn't have used another month of QA. But nothing that a few work-arounds (like saving very regularly) can't solve.

If you have suffered few problems then you are extremely lucky. The main bug I have found to be extremely game breaking is the freezing one - and saving does nothing for this by now it freezes before I can even load a savegame. I should have waited to buy this game, and I severely doubt I will touch anything by Obsidian evr again.

If you have suffered few problems then you are extremely lucky. The main bug I have found to be extremely game breaking is the freezing one - and saving does nothing for this by now it freezes before I can even load a savegame. I should have waited to buy this game, and I severely doubt I will touch anything by Obsidian evr again.

well, some people haven't encountered any problems, i think it is based on hardware, i just hope they do release some patches, but only time will tell.

Well, so far I've done Peragus and apart from a failed first installation, I have found zero bugs. No crashes, no graphic glitches, nothing. I hope it stays that way. And I have an ATi Card. :-"

No. Neither have you. So quit assuming OE can do whatever they want with the license. Perhaps they can put out patches at their own discretion, or perhaps they don't. I don't know. YOU don't know.

Well, so far I've done Peragus and apart from a failed first installation, I have found zero bugs. No crashes, no graphic glitches, nothing. I hope it stays that way. And I have an ATi Card.  :-"

No. Neither have you. So quit assuming OE can do whatever they want with the license. Perhaps they can put out patches at their own discretion, or perhaps they don't. I don't know. YOU don't know.

Yo dude, can you tell me what drivers you are using??