KOTOR2 Early Review ak Bashings, Smashings, & More

"Sorry for trying to help Volourn."

Sorry for turning down your help. I didn't know I was in crisis and needed saving. You must be one of those Jedi who need to help others even if they don't need. Kreia, talk to him, please.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"and at the end of the game, yes you are."

Even if you are a Sith? LAME. Yet you defend that aspect. LAME.

i didnt say the plot was perfect. but youve been making it sound like it makes NO sense, even though a)you havent even finished the game yet and b)people have told you why you are thought of as the "last known jedi" by those who are chasing you and those you encounter.

in theory, im still not a big fan of the story. it was good, but not great. i was just commenting on your blanket statement that it made no sense.

NWKnights:I like the story. Stop saying otherwise. I dislike a CERTAIN aspect of the story. Geez.. If I didn't like the story, I would have stopped playing completely. Heck, I even tortured myself through bugs and the horrid Peragus to get to at least the parts that are at least equal to KOTOR1's areas. <>

"Volourn hardly looks for answers, generally he just posts for the sake of posting his opinions."

Someone who almost gets it. I post for the sake of posting my opinions,a nd reading others opinions. However, I don't wanna read a lecture on how my opinions are wrong unless you have 150% factual information to back it up with pictures (preferable nude one sof handmaiden + Mira in bed together!)...

Look he spells Canada with a 'K'

and uses such blankets statements to end arguements as 'Game Over'

Seriously why even bother trying to enlighten/argue/state your own opnion. Those points right there should let you know this is not the kind of person you try have a resonable debate with.

I hate it when people get mad at other people for expressing their opinions on theses forums. Its almost embarrassing. :(

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Why the hell wouldn't the sith be dumb enough to fall into that trap? I can't think of a single SW villain that didn't make some stupidly huge mistake than a five year old would have seen through! Would a smart Sith Lord allowed a situation to arise where his apprentice could fire on his ship when it is boarded by Jedi? Would a smart Sith Lord try to get his apprentice to kill said apprentice's son? Would a smart Sith Lord try to encourage his good-to-the-core son to turn to the dark side instead of killing him? Would a smart Sith Lord order that the Jedi who have been causing him so much trouble be held prisoner aboard a ship until he gets there? Would a smart Sith Lord constantly gloat about how great he is in front of his enemies instead of just taking them in an ambush and killing them without a word? Would a smart Sith Lord employ an army of fools who couldn't hit the side of a barn, much less the main characters, in a firefight? Would a Sith Lord pay no attention to the fact that a strike team of mandalorians and force sensitives have boarded his ship?

Where on Earth did you get the impression that Sith Lords are smart? Cabbages have higher intelligence than Sith Lords.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm fairly certain some religious right website said that the coming of the end times was heralded by 100,000 male jewish virgins...while I am sure the average star wars fan is male, that we can easily muster 100,000 of those who are virgins....and...well...I imagine 100,000 of them are Jewish too....

Hrm. I came to ridicule...I'm now heading for the nearest nuclear bunker...which is probably switzerland.

Its an English thing. We find ourselves witty and generally opress anyone who thinks otherwise. Its why we say our whit is 'dry'. Its annother way of saying non-existant.

In regards to Sith being smart....yeah, have to agree with Reveilled on that on. They are James Bond villains at times.

"Where on Earth did you get the impression that Sith Lords are smart? Cabbages have higher intelligence than Sith Lords."

Ha. Quite seriously, that's the best counter argument to my opinion in this thread. Good job. :thumbsup:

that would have made much, much more sense.

random items, but within a specific category, such as all lighsaber stuff randomly generated among the different dark jedi/sith enemies, and/or bins/lockers in force specific areas (korriban academy, jedi enclave, etc.).

The random loot generator actually created a plot hole in my game. As far back as Peragus I recieved a breath mask as part of what I assume was random loot. Well, breath masks give you immunity to poison, and so

when I get to that poison gas bar in Nar Shadaa (however it's spelled), I have to wonder why the stupid squid didn't just tell me to bring along a breath mask so he could see it was me, as opposed to Mira, and worse than that, when I went into the bar (having been in it before) I've already put my mask on, at which point I start suffocating before learning "breath control"! Stupid forced events, I shouldn't be suffocating this time when I survived fine in the bar before.

Actually, that's not a plot hole at all; in fact it's explained prior your departure to the Jek Jek Tar.

There's a dialogue option when speaking to Atton, questioning the use of your Breath Mask in the JJT. To which Atton replies that a breath mask would do no good whatsoever, as the cryogenic gases can be absorbsed through the skin - therefore requiring a full body pressure suit instead.

:(

manthing2.jpg

Actually, that's not a plot hole at all; in fact it's explained prior your departure to the Jek Jek Tar. 

There's a dialogue option when speaking to Atton, questioning the use of your Breath Mask in the JJT.  To which Atton replies that a breath mask would do no good whatsoever, as the cryogenic gases can be absorbsed through the skin - therefore requiring a full body pressure suit instead. 

shh! people like to find plot holes that arent actually plot holes, then bitch and moan about them.

let them have their fun. :(

There's a dialogue option when speaking to Atton, questioning the use of your Breath Mask in the JJT.  To which Atton replies that a breath mask would do no good whatsoever, as the cryogenic gases can be absorbsed through the skin - therefore requiring a full body pressure suit instead. 

Well then, do tell why I had previous to this been in the JJT on three seperate occasions with a breath mask on suffering no ill effects at all. All that says is that Atton's comment is part of the same plot hole.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

;)

Well then, do tell why I had previous to this been in the JJT on three seperate occasions with a breath mask on suffering no ill effects at all. All that says is that Atton's comment is part of the same plot hole.

If I gave the validity of your statement the benefit of the doubt, that would stipulate a game mechanics error...not a plot hole.

manthing2.jpg

;)

If I gave the validity of your statement the benefit of the doubt, that would stipulate a game mechanics error...not a plot hole.

It can easily be both. One is responsible for the other.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Okay, the title is kinda harsh; but meh. It deserves it... If you are a fanboy prepare to whine a lot or simply ignore the thread. If you are trying to be reasonable; you'll do this too. Only I can win this thread. Why? It's my review. SUCKERS! Anyways, selffarting aside, here is my super duper mini review that covers Ebon Hawk/Peragus.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

SOME SPOILERS BELOW:

Graphics/Sound/Music: Let's start with the less important stuff first. Music is cool. Opening them is awesome; the rest is solid and probably even better than the original so far. Sounds is exactly the same. Graphics are a mixed bag - the backgrounds are seemingly uglier than the original though the characters do look better.

Main Story: WOW! This story is deep. People want you dead. Hahaha. You are the last remaining Jedi... but, you aren't a jedi or are you? And, the other Jedi aren't Jedi either. Whatever. As a side quest, this first part would be ok; but as the start of the game; it's just lame. Geez.. everyone knows you aren't the last jedi; but they pretend that's the case. Bah.

Murder Mystery: Though; the guilty party was obvious; it was still amusing to run around with your head cut off looking over the all the recordings.

Combat: *Yawn* Boring. Makes KOTOR1's combat seem like the hardest combat ever. It was easy plain, and simple. I died once, and that's only because I didn't bother using medpacs at all. ie. I got real lazy due to boredom. I hope the combat gets better and more varied.. and, no, the sith assassins don't cut it all. All they brought to the table was more experience and a chance to use stun. <>

Game Balance: I think the game forgot about this important aspect. The Item creation is utterly useless and unneeded. I used it once just for practice. Uograding using the work bench is still useful at least.

I already have tons of medpaks, mines, grenades, and verything else. And, oh, reaching level 8 in about 6 hours (and a good portion of that time wasting due to bugs) is piss poor. Even KOTOR, it was about 8 levels in about 12 hours. Impressive indeed!

While, later on, you'll see I like the skill useage in the game, balance with skills is ridiculous. As a Sentinel, I can pratically max out all availble skills with intelligence 14 - I imagine a Sentinel with 18+ intelligence being bored and annoyed that there isn't enough skills to waste their points on. Hell, even in NWN at level 40 with super intelligence you could never DREAM of maxing out your skill ranks. Bah.

Now, the feats are fun. Your character gets like half dozen free feats for either undescernible reasons (critical strike, power attack) or for bull**** make believe reasons ("War Veteran").

And, oh btw, there is no way according to your character's history, should you have been level 1. LAME! And, no, being unconcious for a bit is not enough. At least with Revan, you actually had a mind wipe.. unless I find out it was done this time too. 

Dialogue: Ahh.. Something positive. Overall, the dialogue is solid. In some parts, it's very good. Alas, some of it just seems to be someone trying to write something 'deep' and it coming off wrong.

Skill Useage: Can't complain too much if at all. This is one of the main redeeming factors of the game. Awesome. Ability scores too.

Inconsistences: They're all over. One prime example is a convo with Kreia. Paraphrased it goes like this: "I'm not a Jedi"... "Don't be so sure about that. You are the last remaining Jedi." "But, I left the order." "But, the order never left you." ... a little while later in the same convo... "We must find other Jedi. They might be able to help" ... "They are no longer Jedi"

WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF? That isn't deep. That is convoluted, and plain old retardism.

Another piss poor thing is when leaving in Ebon Hawk you tell Atton to NOT blow up the asteroids as it might kill any remaining miners; but he does it (or something convuted happens) anyways. Whatever.

There are more examples; but I won't bug ya about them..

Characters: Main PC - So far fetched in it's whateverness. Half the time you get to choose your past; the other half someone has to tell you about yourself always with the exuse it's because of your 'concussion' that you forgot this valuable information. Whatever. The fact you start at level with no force powers; but "magically" have them returned to you at level 2 is just plain lame.

Kreia - Meh. This character is a mess. Another 'soul link. Woo hoo! The writing tries to make her seem intelligent and worldly; but she comes off fake and foolish and nonsenical. You want a real example of an intelligent oldster that imparts knowledge to the PC please see KOTOR1.

Atton - The same as Kreia. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. He makes Carth seem cool. However, I must admit two line sof his did make me laugh and/or smile. The best being: "Don't tell me I'm going to prison again!" R00fles! The line right after that was cool to. Otherwise, a completely useless character.

T3-M4: I like him/it. Not much more can be said then that. He's cool. He's funny. And, I love defending him when the two REAL idiots insult him. I mean, seriously, only idiots go out of their way to insult a droid. This guy is cool, and wayyyyyy better than he was in part one. Though; his "tagalog" workshop only gets half marks from me.. Overall, he si easily the best joinable npc of the three. Impressive considering I found him to be the 'worst"'in the original.

HK50 - Well, I'm a fool and I'm smart. I was smart because I realized within 1 second that he was responsible for what occured on the mining faculty. *yawn* I was stupid, however, 'cause for some reason I mistoke him for HK47. Geez.. And, here I thought that HK47 was an "unique" droid. Guess not. All HKs are EXACTLY like him. And, oh, when you call someone Master treat them as one.  Still, overall, he was often funny and cool. Thumbs up.

Scion - Lame. Malak. Wannabe. Only uglier and some type of inhumane voice. Bah. Boring. Not gonna waste time discussing this dink.

Influence: It's good. Not as geat as some claim it is; but not as bad as I feared it would be. A nice addition to the game; but can be twinked.

Control: I'd like to control my character please. Half of my time should not be controlling another even if it's a cool droid.

Bugs: Muahaha. The Bug Man striketh. This game is buggy. Characetrs doing a funky dance non stop is not cool. NPCs standing around corners 5 'blocks' back is not cool. AI commands not working as commanded is NOT cool. When I tell Kreia to use her powers; you know, i'd like her to use her powers. R00fles! Good thing the game is easy. One good thing to say bug wise; I've experience zero actual crashes. That's a first for a game..

The Areas: Ebon Hawk/Tutorial - Perfectly. Acceptable. Tutorial. I'd put it on par with the originals' except for the fact you don't even control your actual character. Otherwise, cool. I did love the 'space walk' though.

Peragus - Eh. Some of it was nice - When you met Kreia as I actually thought she was ok; and the 'mine walk' again. I love wathcing the Harbinger docking and the old tapes of the deaders was alright. However, the actual action itself was simply boring. Yay. Walk down corrider after corrider destroying robots. Woopitydodah.

Harbinger - Same as Peragus; but it defines the word pointless. Simply boring, and Scion's appearance was just plain. I really wish him and Kreia simply had sex, had babies, ate them, then murdered each other while they were myseriosuly locked in that room/corrider. Bah. No such luck.

Telos - Really, really early here; but ti has potential. My biggest beef with this is the two calls you recieved right after the other. Talk about lameness. At least there won't be endless fighting here... I hope..

Overall. I dunno. It may seem i'm complaining a lot and I am; but the game isn't completely horrible. I'd rank it about where I'd rank NWN and TOEE (if TOEE wasn't so buggy either) if it wasn't buggy.The game, imo, will be a game that I will likely finish; but grudgingly so. Only because, there's *just* enough about it that I like to finish and unlike TOEE which had a wholly crappy story but great combat; KOTOR2 has crappy combat; but a solid story with good role-playing to keep me motivated.

Hopefully, it'll improve...

P.S. I'll likely do a "character" thread later. All you need to know is that I'm an 8th level Sentinel which super skills, and good stats (S10, D14, C12, I14, W14,C16).

Enjoy.

P.S.S. The above post *may* contain some spoilers. <>

R00fles!

I concur on many levels with what you have to say.

Graphics and music are decent, if not terribly original.

Storyline and characters are more shallow than a dry creekbed in a desert. As long as I could control my character, I sliced through the competition as if they weren't there.

Combat was a bad joke. The worst thing was when I would target an enemy and my NPC's would rush in and hit up the same enemy making it virtually impossible for me to even get close to them. The settings: aggressive, support, ranged, etc didn't seem to keep the NPC's from attacking the same thing I was attacking rather than attacking other targets.

Game inbalance was just as you said.

I hardly bothered to create any items because I had most of what I needed from all the bodies and containers all over the place. Upgrades were pretty much the same as before, just more choices.

Skills, feats, and force powers made me so powerful it was too easy. I played a Sentinal/Weaponmaster with a double-bladed lightsaber and I was virtually invincible on my own.

I have to assume the control issues are due to the fact that consoles don't have mouse look and they don't have the ability to "store" repeated keyboard commands as a computer does. Obsidian should "borrow" whatever stability factors they employed in the PC game to balance the controls between the two. With my trackball, I can get into a situation where not only is my PC perspective is rotating rapidly and I can't stop running. It creates a rather humourous "running in circles" game with all my NPC's trying to keep up. Sux when I'm trying to attack though.

As for starting at level 1, the explanation that the exile thought the Jedi council cut them off from the Force (when it was their own guilt that clouded their connection). When the connection was somehow re-established, it was as if the exile had to start learning how to use the Force all over again. Really, how much fun would it be if one started as a full Jedi?

Dialog was ok, but a lot of times I was looking for the events that "changed" individual dialogs and found myself stuck in the same old responses with no hope of gleaning anything new from them.

Massive inconsistencies. Things just didn't follow as far as I am concerned. I went to Dantooine last, cleaned out the Jedi enclave sublevel, rescued Vrook, and then defended the city from the mercenaries. While all this was going on, someone managed to "rebuild" the Jedi enclave? How did I not notice? The whole premise that this plot was pushed by an old blind woman, her undead apprentice, and some Sith demi-god who wears a Kabukki mask just leaves me wondering what the developers were smoking (and why they didn't share that with us instead).

I don't know whether to laugh hysterically, or cry in futility.

The various planets are rather boring...Dxun ranks up there with having my teeth drilled. Telos was about the most interesting stop with the orbiting station and all the goings on down on the surface.

The ending left me wondering what I had missed, because I just didn't get it. IMHO, it does not live up to the name "KotOR."

"Combat was a bad joke. The worst thing was when I would target an enemy and my NPC's would rush in and hit up the same enemy making it virtually impossible for me to even get close to them. The settings: aggressive, support, ranged, etc didn't seem to keep the NPC's from attacking the same thing I was attacking rather than attacking other targets."

Don't get me started on this. The companion AI is horrendous. 25% of the time in battle, the companions just stand there looking foolish and don't even participate. Those with guns aren't so bad here; but meleers seem to be on stupid juice.

"Really, how much fun would it be if one started as a full Jedi?"

Um. You start as a level 1 Jedi. And, you even have like 6+ free feats. Not to mention, you were a War General so you obviously should have been skille din battle even without force powers so should have beena solider (or even a scout) at the start and multi classed into Jedi at a certain time. Not to mention the fact that you are no longer a Jedi...

Overall, it's a decent game. In some areas it's good or very good; but so many things - easy combat, play balanced, nonsensical dialogue, retarded characters, a plot point that is illogical... that it doesn't reach the heavens..