KOTOR2 Freezes On My Pc!

I can play the game for about 5-10 minutes, then it freezes. Sound too.

Have tried any possible fix from these and Obsidians Forums: From disabling sound, through disable vertex bufffers to the wnaspi32 thing. Also I tried to install every possible driver from 66.93 to the 67.66 (only Beta downloadable). Didn't work.

Older drivers don't recognize the Geforce 6600 GT.

My specs:

AMD 2600+ XP

Windows XP Home Edition

Winfast A6600 GT

512 MB RAM

An interesting thing is though, that I tried 3 days ago to start-up KOTOR 1 again and have got the exactly same problem. A year ago as I had the exact same computer configuration without the Winfast Graphics Card but with a Gainward Geforce 5600 FX, it worked perfectly.

So I presume the crashing issue has to do either with the newer drivers or with a problem in the newer graphics card architecture.

So...there's no way out...simply wait for the urgent patch...

It can't the "newer graphic card architecture" because im using a Geforce Ti 4400

I believe he means that the newer graphics architecture has a problem. The Ti4400 is not a new card (no offence) since its 2 generations below the current. He's trying to say the older generation of cards worked flawlessly.

I have humanauts problem, on 1280x1024 I can play the game for only a few mins before it crashes (sound crash loop as well), the lower I turn down the graphics, the longer it takes for it to crash, in general, but it always does. If I exit out of the game and go back in, it seems to reset the "timer". Playing on 1024x768 makes it playable at length.

I have a 6600GT, just like humanaut. I have NO IDEA what the hell to do.

And, here's a coincidence, my old Ti4400 ran the original KOTOR just fine too- now it doesn't work either with the 6600GT.

Do your movies have some intermittent pausing as well, which goes away if the movie is long enough?

But here's another thing- my friend has a 6600GT and almost the exact same specs as me (he has more RAM)- and he has no problems.

This crashing also happens with Star Wars Battlefront.

I have humanauts problem, on 1280x1024 I can play the game for only a few mins before it crashes (sound crash loop as well), the lower I turn down the graphics, the longer it takes for it to crash, in general, but it always does. If I exit out of the game and go back in, it seems to reset the "timer". Playing on 1024x768 makes it playable at length.

I have a 6600GT, just like humanaut. I have NO IDEA what the hell to do.

And, here's a coincidence, my old Ti4400 ran the original KOTOR just fine too- now it doesn't work either with the 6600GT.

Do your movies have some intermittent pausing as well, which goes away if the movie is long enough?

But here's another thing- my friend has a 6600GT and almost the exact same specs as me (he has more RAM)- and he has no problems.

This crashing also happens with Star Wars Battlefront.

Hmm.. my friend has a Ti 4200 and he tried running KotOR at 1024*768 and after a few minutes, it froze. There were no framerate drops and the game was running smoothly. The only thing is that he had an 866mhz processor. My guess is that the CPU was being put under heavy load so it had a problem with all those operations. We disabled frame buffer effects, and brought the resolution to 800*600 and there was no problem.

Try the Forceware 67.66 drivers, they work best with kotor2 (as i learned from the great anakinsolo). If that doesn't solve the problem, maybe you should try getting some more RAM and running it then. If you are still having a problem, maybe you should just wait for the patch to come out. Hope it helped...