What are the advantages of a single lightsaber?

Sirus

So, I've been playing KOTOR 2 lately and the Saber Staff seems to be clearly the most powerful. It does a ton of damage and with the proper feats it's(almost) as accuarate as a single saber. So, are there any real advantages to using a single saber?

Well, there's the +3 attack and defense from dueling, which I always thought was pretty cool. And if you want more critical hits, your threat range is bigger with one saber. Oh yeah, and a single saber just feels more dramatic. :cool:

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Also, it seems like crystals are in much shorter supply this time around. So if you are busy turning party members into Jedi, you can spread the stronger crystals around more if you are only using one saber (I know, that's not really an argument against double-bladed, but it's a valid reason not to use two sabers. If you want your other party members to use lightsabers.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Same for me, jedi should only use 1 as the sabre is supposed to be defensive only. But esepecially for consular, reason - as stated by Zach.

DS or Guardian i will usually use dual or double bladed.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I usually go single blade for Consulars.  Give them that extra defense bonus and chance to hit.  They will be using force powers mostly anyways.  Sentinal and Guardian no question about it.  Duel is the way to go.

For K1, that's fine because Consulars only had a 0-15 BaB progrssion and the level cap was 20.

But in K2, the dueling bonuses become redundant at higher levels due to equal Jedi BaB progrssion (+1 /level) this time around, and the effective removal of the level cap - due to the unattainable upper ceiling of level 50.

Single saber is the way Star Wars should be...but the single saber animation just looks lame (with the exeption of Revan's scorpion saber twirl of course).

manthing2.jpg

Ever since Darth Maul came with the double-bladed saber, people have been going "zOMG teh doble saber is sooooo r00xx00rs my b00xx00rs". Sure it was cool at first, but now people would choose double bladed given the choice.

Dual sabers is even more ridiculous. Anakin using it in Ep II was cool and all, but before Ep II, if I recall correctly, a Jedi with 2 sabers was rare, maybe even unheard of. Now games like Jedi Academy and KoTOR have Dark Jedi having two sabers and saber staffs (especially JA).

What happened to the old ways, single saber style? In my opinion, having a single saber was great. Luke - IMO, probably the most powerful Jedi ever - single saber. Obi-Wan - single. Anakin (whiny as he is, but still powerful) - single. Mace Windu - most badass character with the lightsaber - guess how many sabers he uses?

Alot of people think its cool and all to have a double-bladed saber or dual sabers. But frankly speaking, due to the immense fanatism of these sabers, single saber is undoubtedly the most 'cool', ironic as it is.

Ever since Darth Maul came with the double-bladed saber, people have been going "zOMG teh doble saber is sooooo r00xx00rs my b00xx00rs". Sure it was cool at first, but now people would choose double bladed given the choice.

Dual sabers is even more ridiculous. Anakin using it in Ep II was cool and all, but before Ep II, if I recall correctly, a Jedi with 2 sabers was rare, maybe even unheard of. Now games like Jedi Academy and KoTOR have Dark Jedi having two sabers and saber staffs (especially JA).

What happened to the old ways, single saber style? In my opinion, having a single saber was great. Luke - IMO, probably the most powerful Jedi ever - single saber. Obi-Wan - single. Anakin (whiny as he is, but still powerful) - single. Mace Windu - most badass character with the lightsaber - guess how many sabers he uses?

Alot of people think its cool and all to have a double-bladed saber or dual sabers. But frankly speaking, due to the immense fanatism of these sabers, single saber is undoubtedly the most 'cool', ironic as it is.

I'm with you on that 1.

But actually there are a couple of other jedi who use 2 sabres in ep2. If you look closely in the background during the fight with the droids in the arena you can see 2 other jedi using 2 sabres. :lol:

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I'm with you on that 1.

But actually there are a couple of other jedi who use 2 sabres in ep2. If you look closely in the background during the fight with the droids in the arena you can see 2 other jedi using 2 sabres. :wub:

IMO, the animation for Single saber are alot better then the animation for Duel/Double sabers. Also, with the right feats Single Saber is just as effective and deadly as Duel/Double sabers.

For my first game, I was a Guardian/Weaponmaster and used a single blade. The animations were good and it was pretty powerful with the dueling feat, but in truth the superior two weapon fighting feats are much better. So much better in fact that they give you attack bonuses if you use twin/double bladed sabers. As for the single saber, it's the most starwars-ish of the three types, although the others made subtle appearances as well. Exar Kun used twin lightsabers to beat his master for the first time on Dantooine, and he used a double bladed lightsaber to finally kill his master on Coruscant.

I agree a lot of people are doing for the "Maul factor" but also because its a effective weapon.

Ah but lets look at earth history were we moved from big heavy swords to the rapier-and-dagger style.

The reason of why its rare can be explained by the fact for 1000 years the Jedi had no large fights and so no reason to use more effective lightsaber combat styles.

Before they were technical issues, for example at start the lightsaber hilt was connected to a cord to the power supply that was in a belt so dual wield as well a the lightstaff design could not funtion until the power supply was in the hilt.

Problem with that is that Obi-Wan,Anakin and Mace come from a time were there was no reason to use anything but a single lightsaber, if they had to face oppoments that also used lightsabers they likely adapted to more effective combat styles.

Luke have no reason to use more that one (he is that powerful in the force) and comes from a time were building just one lightsaber was very dificult, not to say he did not had the time (Yoda had even less) to learn more advanced combat technics.

Again its about being effective, it might be "cool" to wield a katana but going against enemies armed with rifles in a open field its not going to work very well.

In lightsaber case there is no reason for a consular to use a lightstaff or dual wield (in not for the idiotic BAB progression change from KotOR) since his strenght is using the Force but guardians that expecializes in combat have to use the most effective combat style there is and the single lightsaber style is only preferable until a certain point (during early levels) and then switch to a more effective combat style (staff or dual wield).

drakron.png

I love how whenever these post are made everyone becomes the ultimate samurai. Dual wielding is stupid, but it draws in the fanboys, plain and simple. i hate getting feed this "Luke didn't do this because I read in this book by Kevin Anderson blah blah blah."

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

So, I've been playing KOTOR 2 lately and the Saber Staff seems to be clearly the most powerful. It does a ton of damage and with the proper feats it's(almost) as accuarate as a single saber. So, are there any real advantages to using a single saber?

Lightsaber vs Double-Bladed Lightsaber:

1. Higher Attack bonus (Which also effects blaster deflection) via the Duel feats (+3 at Master Dueling.).

2. Higher Defence bonus via the Duel feats (+3 at Master Dueling.).

3. Greater weapon threat range and potential.

4. +3 to blaster deflection via the Duel feats (See 1.).

5. Requires the Two Weapon Fighting feats to make it viable.

Lightsaber vs Duel Lightsabers:

1. Higher Attack bonus (Which also effects blaster deflection) via the Duel feats (+3 at Master Dueling.).

2. Higher Defence bonus via the Duel feats (+3 at Master Dueling.).

3. +3 to blaster deflection via the Duel feats (See 1.).

4. Requires the Two Weapon Fighting feats to make it viable.

Lightsaber vs Short Lightsaber:

1. +4 max damage.