Stutturing

EUIX

I am on a 1.5 Ghz AMD, 512 ram, 9600 Pro. When I played this game last night it was fun, it slowed down in some parts but its otherwise playable. Today I started it and the game stutturs everyone 5 seconds making it unplayable. I tried reducing all the settings but it doesn't effect it one bit I can't figure what the hell the problem is.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

my game is doing it after entering new areas. I always have to run of and turn on any of the settings to make the game "reset" and then it becomes playable

Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean?

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

my game is doing it after entering new areas. I always have to run of and turn on any of the settings to make the game "reset" and then it becomes playable

Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean?

This happens to me, also. Ever since I got to Telos, everything got really jerky to the point of nearly being unplayable. What does it for me is to go into advanced graphics options and click on the Frame Buffer Effects option twice; it doesn't seem to matter whether I enable or disable it, but as long as the screen goes black briefly afterwards the game returns to functioning perfectly fine.

I have a 9800XT running the Cat 5.2s.

I'd reccomend using the 4.11's at this point. They are the latest not to have the massive frame rate problems that K1 and now K2 seem to suffer from.

Well Windows XP just went to hell, I just spent the last 4 hours on damage control, I won't be playing any games any time soon.

I originally posted this problem here: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29373

It seems I was mistaken on my correction and my original post was correct. While skipping the intro movies can cause this from the get-go, level transitions also seem to do it. Which is not reproducable in my experience. Skipping the intro movies is.

Also disabling the movies as I said does not only disable the intro logo movies, but any movie during gameplay as well... so... don't do it unless you don't care.

Best thing to do is not skip the intro logo movies and check/uncheck any advanced graphics options if you notice stuttering after a level transition. I use soft shadows but use whatever works. Also going through the transition and then back again will usually result in the stuttering going away.

You can always tell if the next level load is going to stutter because the loading screen will 'blink' black once really quickly.

oh, nasty stuff in this thread.

I have a radeon 9600, though, I'm pretty sure it's the XT version. Not sure of the difference. It's a 128 mb card.

I haven't had too many problems, though I haven't "restarted" the game. I just got it today and played it for about 6 hours. It seemed to get a little bit of stutttering in conversations the last couple of hours. And when loading a movie, the screen would go black and it would take a few seconds for the movie to start.

I'm not getting the low memory problems I get with KOTOR 1 though. I can't rememer what the cause of those were. I thought it was because I had antialiasing on, but that doesn't seem to be it.

I currently have the high texture pack and I'm running 1024 X 76 whatever at 85 fps. I have antialisasing and antitropy at 2X. I have soft shados and vsync on, though I don't know what those do exactly.

as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be related to any specific video card or graphics setting

i could certainly be wron but i have a 6800gt and i get it too, it definitely isn't ati specific

i'm running 1280x1024x85hz 4xAA 8XAF and everything else maxed/on

I have tried messing around with stuff but since it seems so hard to reproduce faithfully each time, aside from skipping the intro movies (for me at least) I don't know if my small amount of testing proves anything.

I have a feeling it is just an error with the game initializing direct3d. I also noticed a recent problem with the movies, there were long pauses between 'clips' of a prerendered movie that could not have been right.

Can anyone else confirm that clicking rapidly through all of the lucasarts/obsidian movies at the beggining causes stuttering at the main menu?