Radeon owners: Post driver success here!

actually, I found out what drivers I'm running. It was under options in the advanced tab.

4.11. And my card is Radeon 9600 XT. And I have an Athalon cpu.

I even skipped the movies, and things started of fine on Telos (aside from the subtitles going to fast- see my thread on this- I just can't read that fast). So we'll see how long that last. Like I said, last night, it didn't start acting up until about 4 hours into the game.

Same problems with Dantooine, I blame those damned flying manta ray like jerks.

Was running, no problems, started hickuping there, so I installed the 5.2 drivers, no I have some major wierdness as it opens in a window now and I can't seem to get it to run full screen.

As aside, this is a sad state of affairs compared to the release of the original. Not that the original had any less problems, but bioware was at least a presence in the forums and had a patch almost immidiately to deal with the biggest of the nastiness.

Stats below -

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=2/9/2005 6:27:19 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

c:\pagefile.sys=1536

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1999

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=7

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.00GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=44.90GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=14.10GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=E-IDE CD -956E/AKV

[Video]

Video Card Name=RADEON 9600 SERIES

Video Memory=128

Desktop Resolution=1280x1024x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.5.4776 WinXP Release

OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Renderer=RADEON 9600 x86/SSE2

Vid Card Status=Pass

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)

Status=Pass

So I'm guessing it's only fair to say that users that had problems on dantooine before are guarteed to have em again this time round?

I'm running an Athlon 64FX

9800se----> Omega Driver version 5.1. These drivers really improved visual quality in the kotor 1

512 pc3200

5.1 surrond sound (onboard sound)

I am running 5.2 and I had zero problems until I got to Dantooine. The game now runs at about 1 frame every 2 seconds.... needless to say that is unplayable. I have turned off every graphic flare I can find and it still chugs... any ideas would be helpful

I have the same problem, but it also crashes at random for me when loading new areas! As for the framerate problem I

Yep, I got the same problem, with the same card.... wouldn't happen to be crashing just as you get to the ebon hawk after the first cutscene would you? Not that I can help, it just feels better to know I'm not alone :) Anyway, I've searched a lot over the past year for OGL 1.4.0, but I can't find anywhere to download it... sorry. I doubt that's the problem though. Have you got windows Xp Sp2?

yeah, i've got sp2.

i spent the afternoon trying to figure it out...and this is what i've got.

omega drivers don't work, when i use omega drivers, all i get is a black screen. however, when i delete my drivers and get an older one, a non-catalyst, (the one before Jan 2003), i actually get a loaded image, then it freezes and crashes.

when my friend with a better graphics card tried it, he got the black screen too, but when he updated, everything worked fine.

i think it's just our radeon igp 345m... they need new drivers for us. this shouldn't happen though; kotor worked fine.

I have to agree, the 4.11 cat's are the best. I went to dantoonie and experienced 'teleporting' similar to the original KoTOR release. I dropped the 4.11 OGL core into the KoTOR2 directory and it worked just fine, actually it worked better then fine. Not only is it smoother but it's twice as fast.

For those that want to try it on a NON X800 series card...I'll give you instructions. This only works if you have a higher driver set.

1) Download the Catalyst 4.11

2) Open using Winzip(or winrar) - look for the file called atioglxx.dl_

3) Extract to your "KOTOR2" Install Directory. (make sure "Use Folder Names" is turned off)

4) Start->Run "cmd" for a standard command prompt.

5) type: expand YOUR KOTOR2 PATH\atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

For those who don't follow the "your KOTOR Path" it should be something like C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

This will change the OpenGL handler from the higher 4.12-5.2 that it's currently using to the 4.11 without changing the core drivers of your system. Only applies to this game.

Mess something up. Not my problem. Game doesn't work anymore, not my problem either.

still running good for me. Like I mentioned before I'm running 4.11. Being lazy about upgrading my drivers has really helped me for once :)

I still have slight problems with the movies. (just the movies, not the cut scenes). The graphics qualities on the movies looks kind of poor. And the movies do seem to introduce some problems with the game as well (mainly during conversations- the characters animations will stutter). But actually I haven't had any suttering problems on the Oderan moon. But when it does happen, I leave the game and come back.

it would be nice to have a little more image quality on the movies, but oh well. the actual game is what interests me the most. I play games for gaming, not to watch a movie.

I just hope it holds up, people have been reporting the game runs fine, until they hit a specific planet. so far I've only been to Telos, the mining station, and the oderan moon.

I run:

P4 3.4 Prescott @ 3.7ghz, X800XT Pci Express, 2GB Ram, Audigy 2.

Winxp Pro SP1, DX 9c, Omega Drivers (based on 5.1 Catalyst).

Same for me as many others, some problems with dantooine, but possible fix (helps me)

I run the game at 1600x1200 with AA and AF turned off. When I land on Dantooine, and look out into the distance, the game slows right down, if I try to run, its slo mo until I let go of run button, then I end up half way accross the map hehe.

The game would occasionally slow down even on the first planet.

What I do is Quick Save and then Quickload straight after. This usually fixes the "lag" until next time I have to zone somewhere (travel via the info terminals).

This also seems to of fixed my extreme low frame rate lag on Dant too. I will keep playing tomorrow and I hope it stays fixed :)

I think the quicksave and quickload thing has solved my problem, at least when the lag monster comes, it is quite easy for me to hit quicksave then quickload.

Hope that helps some others too :p

I have to agree, the 4.11 cat's are the best.  I went to dantoonie and experienced  'teleporting' similar to the original KoTOR release.  I dropped the 4.11 OGL core into the KoTOR2 directory and it worked just fine, actually it worked better then fine.  Not only is it smoother but it's twice as fast.

For those that want to try it on a NON X800 series card...I'll give you instructions.  This only works if you have a higher driver set.

1) Download the Catalyst 4.11

2) Open using Winzip(or winrar) - look for the file called atioglxx.dl_

3) Extract to your "KOTOR2" Install Directory. (make sure "Use Folder Names" is turned off)

4) Start->Run "cmd" for a standard command prompt.

5) type: expand YOUR KOTOR2 PATH\atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

For those who don't follow the "your KOTOR Path" it should be something like C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

This will change the OpenGL handler from the higher 4.12-5.2 that it's currently using to the 4.11 without changing the core drivers of your system.  Only applies to this game.

Mess something up.  Not my problem.  Game doesn't work anymore, not my problem either.

Why if I have a NON x800 card? I have an x800 card, is there a different method I have to use?

You guys with the 340/5's... have any of you tried uninstalling Sp2? I've been wondering what could be wrong for ages, and other than not having 5.2 drivers and the game needing a patch that's the only thing i can think of. Just wanted to know if anyone had tried it?

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Seeing as how the back of the box says "32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compliant AGP or PCX 3D graphics card with hardware t&l capability required" would that mean that a PCI card definitely couldn't run it? :(

EDIT: Its ok ppl, crisis averted; my laptop's just told me that the 345M is, in fact, an AGP card :) I knew Sony weren't totally stupid! :-

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

I was having some 'serious' stability issues with the Official Catalyst 4.12s It would CTD every 1-3

minutes, then open back up in that damn windowed mode. I updated to the Omega 5.1s and was still

getting the frequent CTDs.

As soon as I added the "last chance GFX fix" to the swkotor2.ini, that is mentioned in the readme file,

all my problems simply dissapeared. The game has been running for hours now (4-5 hours straight)...

not even a stutter.

Here is the info, in case you don't know what I am talking about:

Edit your

Disabling vertex buffer objects (or disabling sound, as someone else on the boards suggested) has no effect for me. Still crashes after intro. Looking at other posts it appears to be a bug which occurs after cutscnese. Anyone with this problem manage to load a savegame initially to verify this? As I don't have a savegame yet I can't try this myself.

Yo, Me and All, :thumbsup:

(I hate replying to myself!)

I haven't posted for a while because I've actually been playing the game! Turns out that, for me, the Catalyst 5.2's did the trick. I installed those Thursday night and everything's been smooth sailing since. (w00t) I played for five hours last night straight with no issues. I had a few graphical artifacts (textures being replaced with matte black depending on the viewing angle) at Peragus, but after quitting for the night and starting the next day, they seem to have gone away.

So, my experience:

Cat 5.1 - sucky, constant crashes

Cat 5.2 - smooth sailing

To remind, I've got a GigaByte Radeon 128MB 9600XT, P4 3.2E, Intel D865PERL, 1 gig DDR2700. I'm runnig 4xAA and 4xAnisotropic.

Good luck everyone!

---Jason

P.S. - I tried installing the Cat control center, but what a dog! If that's how fast .NET apps run, no thanks!