Buyers advice : DON'T !!!

Could it ... could it really be ???

Since I went to software sound (no big difference as music is all mono) the game works for me.

That is: until now...

To recapitulate for all you ATI users out there:

get the latest Omega drivers. Install them like they should be installed (means uninstalling all things ATI, then installing Omega stuff)

change to software sound

pray that it works and keeps on working (Killing a virgin and letting the young maiden blood drop on your computer doesn't help, it seems...)

Still wonder what will happen after I get a new movie bit, as this seems to trigger off the weird graphic glitches...

I'll keep you posted.

What's the difference between the ATI and the Omega drivers? Are the Omega drivers just a mix and match of dll versions?

Hmm, don't know the specifics, but the Omega drivers can be installed on a laptop, which the ATI ones refuse. In my experience the Omega drivers work better with games. They are not officially supported, so it's on your own risk...

Never had a bad experience with them, so ...

I am glad to see I am not the only one with the SAME problems! I have an STI 9700 also and the thing crashes right after (or durring I cannot tell) a video. I did all you mentioned in these posts, and thought my turning everything down would help, but I cannot get past the 2nd video, I just hear music and get a black screen! I thought it was my problem and that since I have a pentium 1.5 and not the reccommended requirements, I knew I had the minimum requirements. I want to play the game SO bad, but it is very frustrating when I have to keep restarting and playing Russian roulette wondering if thie time it will work. I also had the problem with install with havingto kep putting in the 1st disk after each disk and it was annoying. You know what they say "Misery loves company", and I am just So relieved to hear others are having a problem. I playd KOTOR1 on this and never had these problems, it use to minimize to the desktop for me, but all else worked fine. I wish some of the developers would let us know if they are working onthe problem. I heard someone just poopooing us with ATI cards as if we are the cause of the trouble, or the people at ATI. A very good developer with GOOD and qualified staff should have found a way around this graphics card just as they did get around all the other graphic cards esp since they have known about ATI cards giving more trouble than others. Seeing that they had the code already laid out practually since it is almost itendical to KOTOR1, there is no excuse for the kind of major problems us people with ATI cards esp those on laptops. I think those people who insult those with laptops are simply childish, and have never had a laptop. I got several laptops and several PS's and have been update ever since there was hype about the intel MMX chip (remember how COOL it was to play games on that when it first came out, it was top of the line!).

So is it working yet? If iall you did never helped, I would ratehr wait, save myself the extra gray hair and see if something else can be done, I mean why put in all the footwork if in the end the game will still not stay stable. :thumbsup:

(Ps, sorry for typos, no time to check spelling)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoohoo, got the KOTOR2 the day it appeared in the shops.

Let's install it.

. And put the KOTOR2 game where the sun doesn't shine.

first of all the first guy that posted is a retard i had the same problem with beyong good and evil just follow the instructions. you should be able to figure this out, i did

(i had the problem with this game too but i knew what to do) it not norton or anything just do what your told and it should work. second i have a ati radeon 9700 in a laptop. and i have no problems so to all the people who have problems it solveable and proabaly a cuinsidance(i'm forieghn, can't spell, english is stupid) because some people say it works and somepeople with the same exact kind of video card say it works (it not a conspricy like some peopel think) and to all the laptop hate F you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( is there a censership thing in the forums? )

I'm currently trying to play KotOR on an Acer Extensa 3000 (P-M1400, 512MB RAM, Radeon Mobility 9700, latest driver (doesn't mean anything for vendor-supplied drivers, I know) on WinXP Home). I don't have many problems except for movies always crashing the whole computer ( so I disabled them, I know them inside out anyway...), and sometimes the game crashes just for fun, also alt-tabbing doesn't work well (game crashes with 99% probability).

I don't even dare to try KotOR2 though, because on my desktop (A64-3000, 1024MB RAM, R9800XT (Catalyst 4.10) on Win2k) KotOR2 thought it's fun to launch in a window after I started it the 2nd time, it crashes every few loading screens (completely locking up my computer), and I sometimes have problems in dialogues, when the game seems to continue on its own, or doesn't register my choices at all for half a minute (like it's a lagging online game). It's not exactly unplayable, but it's a lot less fun if you expect a crash everytime the game loads or tries to show a movie...

my advice for potential buyers: wait till a patch or two are out. That game's much worse than everything I've played on my computer(s) - which includes notoriously bugged games like Vampire: Bloodlines and - drumrolls - KotOR right after it came out

As my suggested solution works like a charm, and I get contacted by laptop owners with the same setup as me just asking that, I give this post a bump.

Hope your game runs as smooth as it does now on my laptop now. Hope it keeps working...

Still think it's a crying shame that I had to change my whole setup, and invest hours searching a solution on a game that says it's made for the setup I have.

But anyway, hope it works for you too!

Let us know on this thread, please.

never play games on laptops.

do ya see anyone with these types of problems with a desktop?

Here. Got an Radeon 9600 pro. Tried 3 diffferent drivers by now, different resolutions etc.

Did not work. Worst thing is im Stuck because of a chash issue on a critical spot. That chash is preventing me from playing the game.

The game is ugly. outdated (it already was outdated in kotor1) and performacne is hiliarously bad. When they used an old and trusted engine, and in the first one already have been such issues, why did they not fix it the by now? They had 2 years to make that engine run stable on ATI systems. This is definately not OK.

I am really tempted to return the game.

As my suggested solution works like a charm, and I get contacted by laptop owners with the same setup as me just asking that, I give this post a bump.

Hope your game runs as smooth as it does now on my laptop now. Hope it keeps working...

Still think it's a crying shame that I had to change my whole setup, and invest hours searching a solution on a game that says it's made for the setup I have.

But anyway, hope it works for you too!

Let us know on this thread, please.

can you please tell me how you got it to work, what are your exact settings, upload your ini file too please,

I have problems on desktop and laptop wwooowoooo!!!

One crashes when i click the mouse, or look to the right, or WHATEVER

The other crashes upon exiting from cutscenes..

Where did these guys learned how to code? Mozambique?

?

works fine for one of my laptops

dell inspiron xps

3.4 gig p4

1 gig ram

256 ati radeon 9800

the other one is not to nice..

it has integrated graphics (shoot me)

going to hack on a real graphics card, but having trouble finding the exact one i need 9700 for acer, only thing nice about this laptop, 5 hours battery life. or 2 when gaming, that beats the 40 min tops on the xps :thumbsup: