Initial Impression...

I'm sure there are a million impressions by now, but now that I've given my $50 to play this game, I think it's time I get to speak.

Little background, loved the first KOTOR, at no point in the game did I really feel like it had consolitis, with the exception of the Starforge, which just felt like they ran out of time, so they had to put the game on rails... Production value was good, loved the game immensely from start to finish.

KOTOR 2 Impressions:

Positives:

1. Story seems great so far, maybe even better then the first KOTOR due to all the mysteries being raised so fast, hopefully It keeps this up.

2. Only four hours of playing time, and I'm really liking the characters so far, they seem to have more personality and mystery then the first game.

Negatives:

1. Soon as I started in the game, my first impression was, this game is a console game. I cant say for sure, but is it possible that the graphics are worse then the first game? Everything looks so bland and low res, even with the details all on high. And did your character run so messed up in the first game? I cant recall, now his heels come up to touch his ass with every step. I'm hoping the environments open up too, whereas the first game had huge beautiful environments, I've found myself doing nothing but running down skinny hallways into square rooms that have no personality whatsoever.

As long as the story keeps up, I can see myself finishing this game, It seems to keep you chugging along, no matter how uninspired the game feels. I don't feel ripped off, I just feel frustration and anxiety over what coulda been if Microsoft hadn't bought the exclusive rights to release these games first on a crappy console system... Hopefully one a day a company will have the balls to go with a strictly PC Star Wars RPG, so that it could live up to it's full potential. This is be no means meant to be a negative review, just a objective review from a KOTOR fan. Story is there, gameplay and graphics really arent...

I'm sure there are a million impressions by now, but now that I've given my $50 to play this game, I think it's time I get to speak.

Little background, loved the first KOTOR, at no point in the game did I really feel like it had consolitis, with the exception of the Starforge, which just felt like they ran out of time, so they had to put the game on rails... Production value was good, loved the game immensely from start to finish.

KOTOR 2 Impressions:

Positives:

1. Story seems great so far, maybe even better then the first KOTOR due to all the mysteries being raised so fast, hopefully It keeps this up.

2.  Only four hours of playing time, and I'm really liking the characters so far, they seem to have more personality and mystery then the first game.

Negatives:

1. Soon as I started in the game, my first impression was, this game is a console game. I cant say for sure, but is it possible that the graphics are worse then the first game? Everything looks so bland and low res, even with the details all on high. And did your character run so messed up in the first game? I cant recall, now his heels come up to touch his ass with every step. I'm hoping the environments open up too, whereas the first game had huge beautiful environments, I've found myself doing nothing but running down skinny hallways into square rooms that have no personality whatsoever.

As long as the story keeps up, I can see myself finishing this game, It seems to keep you chugging along, no matter how uninspired the game feels. I don't feel ripped off, I just feel frustration and anxiety over what coulda been if Microsoft hadn't bought the exclusive rights to release these games first on a crappy console system... Hopefully one a day a company will have the balls to go with a strictly PC Star Wars RPG, so that it could live up to it's full potential. This is be no means meant to be a negative review, just a objective review from a KOTOR fan. Story is there, gameplay and graphics really arent...

Met

Sion

yet? That's when the story gets going IMO.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Negatives:

1. Soon as I started in the game, my first impression was, this game is a console game. I cant say for sure, but is it possible that the graphics are worse then the first game? Everything looks so bland and low res, even with the details all on high. And did your character run so messed up in the first game?

I don't agree....KOTOR 2 is using the same engine as KOTOR 1; the interface is a bit different (larger buttons etc) but I wouldn't call it console based. Everything looks bland and low res ?? What have you been smoking...the textures are better sometimes much better...definitelly a step up from KOTOR1. My system specs:

AMD XP 2700+

1GB 333DDR

MSI NBOX FX 5950 Ultra; ForceWare 66.93 driver

I'm playing KOTOR 2 on 1280x960 with Anisotropic filtering 8x and AA 4x and it looks really good!

IMO the beginning is not as good as in K1, I liked the free roaming of taris better. This is still good, Kreia has some major charisma and the

HK droid

was hilarious. I've just finished my first 5 hour stint and I'm nearing the end of Peragus clearly. So far everythings been a satisfactory, although the framerate got pretty low a couple of times. And I'm not sure if it's the random loot gen, but I have 2 heavy armors and no one who can use them, it's pretty funny.

Plot shows clearly some potential, I'm looking forward to seeing Sion.

Good game so far.

+++ Robes are cool :(

I am not finding it as difficult a game as the first one so far. I set the gameplay to difficult and so far so good.

Only died twice and nearing the end of the first location. I think the encounters with the rakghouls and Black Vulkars from KOTOR1 was much more difficult. Energy resistance :- is again proving a very useful power :( . I wish I chose Class skill: demolitions instead of repair. Could have used the extra xp from all the mines laying about LOL.

Have had about two crashes but not anything that required a reboot. Only the game crashed and not the system.

Now past Peragus, found it rather dull, but seems to be opening on Telos.

I should've also picked demo, I left 2 containers and 2 doors unopened in Peragus because my dude couldn't place a mine in them. Also workbench/lab station doesn't work, too little parts, too much cost to build (for example an advanced medpack costs 40 components and I've got around 70 in total). Hopefully you'll start getting more components from the better equipment. And I do have way too much energy shields.

There's not much to be said about plot, hasn't really taken off yet, but like I said seems to be opening up now. Lightsaber hype is getting really bumbed, which is good.

Influence system is a great idea, you actually have to think every reply through carefully, especially with Kreia.

Combats are easy even on difficult. Force scream really kicks ass.

Game has been good so far, though I expect it to get a lot better.

Nada one problem here. No crashes no nothing.

I did see one goof though. I was talking to an Ithorian and in the scene he talks to you from just outside your doorway. Everytime it cut to him talking it would just show the door because the door wasn't triggered to stay open while he was there.

That and the sound files for the Ithorian were grabbed from the first game but it seems like they only grabbed like 2 files and they loop over and over, which makes having the listen to him nausiating.

Other than that, the game has been wonderful. Played for 6 hours straight with no probs. Oh, if anyone is wondering...

AMD 2500xp, 1gig pc3200, 9800pro running Kotor2 at 10x7 everything cranked w/2x AA and 4x AF. :cool:

Dragon

I'm playing the game on Win98SE with a computer that barely qualifies for the minimum hardware requirements. Installing took like 3 hours (without any problems, though) and gameplay is fine so far. Playing in 1024x768 with textures at High and AF at x2. Runs pretty smoothly but there haven't been any big fights or similar challenges for the hardware yet. No crashes or bugs 2 hours into the game.

Also workbench/lab station doesn't work, too little parts, too much cost to build (for example an advanced medpack costs 40 components and I've got around 70 in total). Hopefully you'll start getting more components from the better equipment. And I do have way too much energy shields.

you do know you can break down those extra energy shields into components right? if you need more components, id suggest breaking down those extra items you have and dont use.

Also workbench/lab station doesn't work, too little parts, too much cost to build (for example an advanced medpack costs 40 components and I've got around 70 in total). Hopefully you'll start getting more components from the better equipment. And I do have way too much energy shields.

you do know you can break down those extra energy shields into components right? if you need more components, id suggest breaking down those extra items you have and dont use.

I know, it's just that you get 1 component/shield (or any other basic stuff), it's waste of time.

Initial Impression = Game Does Not Install.

Haha, of all the people :lol:

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My Initial impression has been how inappropriate the engine is artistically given the story and the setting.

I don't think the visuals are all that bad mind you, just the engine seems in hindsight far more effective with the prettier more lively settings than the bleak foreboding ones in sith lords.

My initial impressions: Everything is Good, and entertaining. There are some weird low-res graphics that I know were better in Kotor 1, but just in general the loading timea are faster, and of course the Resolution is much better in K2 :ermm:

My biggest regret with the game is, well, it's ridiculously easy. By this time in K1 there was some "reasonably" challenging fights on the hardest difficulty. I'm on Telos now on Difficult setting, and I haven't come close to dying yet. I haven't been using shields, stims or anything. And it got kind of silly when I was 1-hit killing all the mining droids on Peragus :thumbsup:

But RPG's are all about the story, and this one is good, and overall I'm loving it so far :cool:

Well.. got it to install after 3 tries; but now all that did wa selad to more bugs including a game ender. Meh..

Your computer specs?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Ok, 8 hours in, an update:

I'm on Telos now. Couple things...

1. Two crashes to desktop, while not overly aggravating, still seems unacceptable to me

2. I count five broken quests that I could not finish because I probably stumbled upon them in the incorrect order, these were on Citadel station and Telos surface.

3. Movies all seem to play in ultra low res, cutting off a good 1/3 of my screen on both sides, I'm just barely able to read the text as it's so huge.

4. Sometimes when I pick a option from dialogue, it actually does the opposite of what I picked, this has happened to me three times so far, so I know for sure it's not me misclicking the choice.

5. For some reason, the game will start in windowed mode 3 out of 4 times, this is the only game I've ever seen do this, maybe it's my ATI card?

6. Setting the attack type of your NPC's (aggressive, stationary, etc) doesn't seem to stick unless you actually click the attack type to keep it in place. I think I remember from the first game just having to scroll to it, not actually click it.

7. My party NPC A.I. seems to be getting worse as the game progresses, at first, they actually helped, now it's as if my party members are totally brain dead. It seems almost every fight, they just sit there starring at me as I get my ass handed to me, not doing anything unless I engage them manually.

8. Even though I heard about this prior, there seem to be a ton of "jump-arounds". What I mean by this is probably incomplete story, not knowing why someone is doing something, or movies that just appear out of nowhere and dont make sense. I'm not naming specifics as I'm not into spoilers, but there were multiple examples for when I'd pick a certain dialogue option, and a movie would play that made absolutely no sense at all, or a dialogue option would come up that has nothing to do with what's going on, I'm like wtf was that?

9. Game is on serious rails, I still hope that it opens up for whatever comes after Telos, I mean this is real real bad... You have just about one skinny ass area to walk down at any one moment.

10. And this final one is more of just a rant, as In I seem to be too stupid to put all the story together so far, It has a HUGE amount of plot holes that I hope are answered by game's end. And I dont mean just unexplained story, I mean holes like "If that guy did this, and he did this, and this guy did this, how was that possible?"

Some positives:

1. Absolutely creepy ass story, really loving it, definitely outweighs the negatives.