You've got to be kidding me...

I would just like to express my complete disgust at this little bit from the readme file from KotOR 2 for PC:

------------

Known Issues

------------

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

The game may freeze or crash to a blank screen if you play

in one level for extended periods of time. This was typically

seen when playing the game between thirty and forty minutes

without transitioning to a new level or movie. We recommend

that you save the game often to avoid losing progress if you

encounter this issue.

Why would this NOT be fixed?! How can a game be released with a known bug that does not allow the game to be played? (and yes the bug does exist. It happens like clockwork for me)

Its LucasArts we're dealing with remember? Besides, for all you know, you might not have a problem... Some people encounter bugs, sometimes you get lucky and don't have any.

The game wasn't done by Lucasarts. All Lucasarts does for Star Wars games (for the most part) is make sure the story lines work with Star Wars cannon. Obsidian programmed it since Black Isle didn't want it anymore (or Lucasarts wouldn't give it to them).

I would just like to express my complete disgust at this little bit from the readme file from KotOR 2 for PC:

------------

Known Issues

------------

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

encounter this issue.

Why would this NOT be fixed?! How can a game be released with a known bug that does not allow the game to be played? (and yes the bug does exist. It happens like clockwork for me)

what do they mean by level? an area? like every time the computer has to "load" a new area...?

------------

Known Issues

------------

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

encounter this issue.

That's just disgraceful. <_<

Its LucasArts we're dealing with remember? Besides, for all you know, you might not have a problem... Some people encounter bugs, sometimes you get lucky and don't have any.

The game wasn't done by Lucasarts. All Lucasarts does for Star Wars games (for the most part) is make sure the story lines work with Star Wars cannon. Obsidian programmed it since Black Isle didn't want it anymore (or Lucasarts wouldn't give it to them).

In a manner of speaking, Obsidian is an incarnatin of BIS. But I'm pretty sure you mean Bioware. o:)"

what do they mean by level? an area? like every time the computer has to "load" a new area...?

Yeah, every area transition. Does this mean no extended Pazaak sessions? :thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

Lucasarts is in charge of QA, not Obsidian. QA Reports the bugs, Obsidian fixes them. QA obviously either A) Didn't give Obsidian enough time to fix the bugs they reported, or B) Didn't report them until it was too late... which ties into A.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well atleast its a really good game with cohesion between this story and the previous, oh wait thats not really true. Its a uh pretty o.k. game with some great great parts, and an ending that shouldn't piss off 'everyone' ;)

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"Lucasarts is in charge of QA, not Obsidian. QA Reports the bugs, Obsidian fixes them. QA obviously either A) Didn't give Obsidian enough time to fix the bugs they reported, or B) Didn't report them until it was too late... which ties into A."

This exuse is lame from Troika, and its lame on behalf of Obsidian. To me, since its the dev's code we speak of; they are best equipped to squash them. And, whose to say the QA team didn't catch them either and they just worked fixed due to who knows what reason. ie. time, money, etc.

Both should get balmed for bugs; but the dev should get most blame. To me, there is no exuse for not having proper QA on the dev.

P.S. I'm not saying Obsidian does or does not have proper QA at this point. Just syaing it should be defacto that devs should.

P.S.S. A sob story about how 'small" a company is won't cut it with me either. Ask Troika fanboys. ;)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

LucasArts was incharge of the development of KotOR 2 since they paid Obsidian to develop the game. Therfore, if LucasArts says release the game even if it has bugs, Obsidian has no choice in the matter...

honestly the publisher to be blamed...they are the ones responsible for rushing stuff out the door and they are also in charge of support after the game is released (atleast in the sense of paying obsidian to make new patches).

Its the industry and for the most part publishers dictate to developers the time table. Developers would love to spend more time on their games but they just don't have the money to do it since publishers want finished games as fast as possible even if there are things that need more work.

Thats why you read complaints of bugs and subpar art (levels not being fleshed out more with art feeling lifeless) because they jsut didn't have the time to do so. U think obsidian wants to release a game that obviously needs a bit more polish?

What really pisses me off is that we're already asking for a patch, and the game JUST CAME OUT FOR THE PC.

What the hell is wrong with this picture?

KotOR 1 patch v1.01 was released before the game itself.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Translating from PHB into normal language:

Uhhh...we got a memory leak somewhere, we don't know where/don't have time to fix it, so lets just include it in the readme file and hope nobody notices.

Problem is....well, people notice. I can't play the game, it crashes regularly. If I can go for more than 5 minutes, it's unheard of. And I have a fricken FX 5900 and PC power to spare. If I can run Doom 3, I ought to be able to run KoToR 2, but guess what.....OE just gave me a finger.

I don't think people want to hear whiny excuses about how big bad Lucas Arts forced them to ship early. As it is, the game is unplayable, and I wonder how it ever passed QA. If I told my manager at work that my group wanted to ship product with a memory leak in it.....I'd be cleaning out my desk before lunch.

This game isn't even beta quality. It's alpha, pure and simple.

While "me too" posts are generally silly, I believe that if enough "me toos" happen over this maybe we'll never see it again.

Listen LA/Obsidian

It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE to release a game that crashes when you play it for more than half an hour or so. The phone rings, the door bell rings, your pizza is delivered, the baby need changing... real life intrudes on your gaming life.

If I'd known I was buying BETA software I would have waited a few months. Then the price would be lower and the patches would be all out. Not to mention that there'd be a heap of mods for me to play with too after making through the game once.

In short, because of the problems with this game that I've experience and the STUPID paragraph in the read me, I'll never again rush out and buy a game. It is clear to me now that all games need at least a month on the shelf before they are ready to be played (thanks to patches).

From now on, I'll let others do the unpaid beta testing for me.

------------

Known Issues

------------

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

encounter this issue.

While "me too" posts are generally silly, I believe that if enough "me toos" happen over this maybe we'll never see it again.

Listen LA/Obsidian

It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE to release a game that crashes when you play it for more than half an hour or so.  The phone rings, the door bell rings, your pizza is delivered, the baby need changing... real life intrudes on your gaming life.

If I'd known I was buying BETA software I would have waited a few months.  Then the price would be lower and the patches would be all out.  Not to mention that there'd be a heap of mods for me to play with too after making through the game once.

In short, because of the problems with this game that I've experience and the STUPID paragraph in the read me, I'll never again rush out and buy a game.  It is clear to me now that all games need at least a month on the shelf before they are ready to be played (thanks to patches).

From now on, I'll let others do the unpaid beta testing for me.

------------

Known Issues

------------

--------------------

Intermittent Crashes

--------------------

encounter this issue.

This isn't beta. In my company, this would be considered late development early alpha. Our beta device drivers are shipped out to customers with notes like "This feature is not supported, but we implemented it anyway, but use it at your own risk and we reserve rights to change API/behavior later".