Less than 1 FPS on High end PC

Hi,

Like the tittle says I get less than 1 FPS in the game.

First I will start with my specs!:

|FX-53-12x200|

|Asus A8N-SLI DX|

|OCZ PC 3200 EL rev 2 1Gb Dual Kit|

|Ati X850 XT PE|

|WD Raptor 74gx2 Raid 0|

|CoolerMaster ATC-110 Custom Paint job|

|Audigy 2 ZS|

|PC Power Cooling Turbo Cool 510-SLI Custom Sleeved|

|Klipsch Ultra Pro-Media 5.1|

|Dell 2005 FP Widescreen 20" LCD|

As you can see the hardware CANNOT be the problem here.

I bought the game yesterday.

I played around 15 hrs and I finished the secret jedi academy and then after than I went to dantoine. This is where the problem starts.

Like I said I played 15 hours and the game runs as smooth as silk, never had lag or anything at 1280/960 with 4x anti and 8x aniso.

Then on Dantoine when I get off the ship and head to the fiel BAM. I automaticly get 1 fps and the game is NOT PLAYABLE at all. So I am stuck there.

I dont know if this is a bug but I really want to find a solution to this.

If this can help, I have ported my save game to my friends computer and when I get to the the same place on dantoine, his system starts the do the exact same thing as mine, wich is less than 1 fps!

LMK

Mcklain

Graphics drivers??

Do you have the latest ones?

Damn! Why does everyone with problems have an ATI card? Don't bother, I know *sigh* My rig also has one of them.

Anyway, try the latest drivers released today (cat 5.2). If that doesn't work out, try cat 4.11 (latest release that doesn't have a problem with KoTOR1).

Hi,

I just want to know if anyone at all got to dantoine and saw that performance drop to a level that is NOT PLAYABLE.

I can send people my latest save game so you can see what I am talking about.

LMK

Mcklain

Hi,

I just want to know if anyone at all got to dantoine and saw that performance drop to a level that is NOT PLAYABLE.

I can send people my latest save game so you can see what I am talking about.

LMK

Mcklain

If Dantooine in K2 is similar to K1 (large open grassy areas), then you should definitely try 4.11 drivers. I had serious framerate issues with cat 5.1 drivers on Dantooine in K1. The issues remain with the 5.2 drivers released today.

Also, in case you try them, let us know if 4.11 drivers work out -- I will be receiving my copy of K2 tomorrow, and would like to have a driver version installed that would minimize the likelihood of problems before starting the game.

Pulverizer

What kind of lag were in getting on dantoine on kotor 1.

I am trying to figure out if it is the same lag as I am having right now in KOTOR 2

I recall in late 2003 playing kotor 1 with my old 9800 pro and never had a performance drop on dantoine.

LMK

Mcklain

Pulverizer

I am trying to figure out if it is the same lag as I am having right now in KOTOR 2

I recall in late 2003 playing kotor 1 with my old 9800 pro and never had a performance drop on dantoine.

LMK

Mcklain

Well, the framerate would absolutely plummet upon entering the grasslands. The characters would freeze in animation. They would either remain frozen, or suddenly reappear at a large distance from the spot where they froze.

These problems started with 4.12 release (Dec. 2004) -- which might explain why you didn't have them in 2003. The driver versions in 2003 had their own set of problems: namely crashes to desktop, especially during load screens. As I said earlier, the only version I didn't have problems with was 4.11. Bioware's KoTOR forum has several reports of these problems, and the general consensus there also seems to be that 4.11 works the best among the available versions.

Pulverizer

LMK

Mcklain

Well, the framerate would absolutely plummet upon entering the grasslands. The characters would freeze in animation. They would either remain frozen, or suddenly reappear at a large distance from the spot where they froze.

These problems started with 4.12 release (Dec. 2004) -- which might explain why you didn't have them in 2003. The driver versions in 2003 had their own set of problems: namely crashes to desktop, especially during load screens. As I said earlier, the only version I didn't have problems with was 4.11. Bioware's KoTOR forum has several reports of these problems, and the general consensus there also seems to be that 4.11 works the best among the available versions.

Pulverize!!

I thanks you ALOT for youre knowledge.

What you have just explaned to me what happend in KOTOR1 (character freeze and, appears at a greater distance) is EXACLTY what I am experiencing on DANTOINE.

I will try RIGHT AWAY the catalyst 4.11.

Until then, will Obsidian release a patch for that, or will we have to wait for new catalyst drivers cause I seriously doubt this is ATI s fault.

I will post back if the 4.11 work out.

Mcklain out

Hi,

Well tried cat 4.10 and 4.11 and I am GLAD to say they are not giving me problems in the grasslands on Dantoine.

This is really frustrating me. I mean the cats 5.2 looked great. I jumped from 94fps to 104fps in the source stress test at 1680/1050 with 6x/16x and now I must go back with damn old drivers. This really pisses me off.

I mean SURE I was waiting for this game ALOT and couldnt have waited more, but geeze this is the BUGGIEST GAME EVER.

Sorry Obsidian, the story is great, but this game needed so serious polyshing before going out to the store shleves.

This is my 2 cents.

Feel free people to comment on that.

Mcklain

Hi,

Well tried cat 4.10 and 4.11 and I am GLAD to say they are not giving me problems in the grasslands on Dantoine.

This is really frustrating me.  I mean the cats 5.2 looked great.  I jumped from 94fps to 104fps in the source stress test at 1680/1050 with 6x/16x and now I must go back with damn old drivers.  This really pisses me off.

I mean SURE I was waiting for this game ALOT and couldnt have waited more, but geeze this is the BUGGIEST GAME EVER.

Sorry Obsidian, the story is great, but this game needed so serious polyshing before going out to the store shleves.

This is my 2 cents. 

Feel free people to comment on that.

Mcklain

Well, I am glad to know that 4.11 works out :thumbsup: Now, I am definitely gonna hold off on upgrading to Cat 5.2.

Apparently, the problem (at least this specific one) is ATI's fault and not Bioware/Obsidian's (I mention Bioware too, since K1 and K2 both suffer from the same problem) -- there is a bug in the vertex shader code in the ATI drivers with versions > 4.11. The crash-to-desktop problems with driver versions prior to 4.11 were also resolved by ATI, not by any of the patches from Bioware.

This doesn't mean that Obsidian/LA aren't to blame for other problems with lack of polish, e.g., poor textures and environments in some areas.

Do we know exactly what it is though, like is it a bug or something that Kotor does wrong that nothing else does, because my card runs everything else perfectly. I have a hard time understanding how such a general sounding hardware issue only affects one game.

Since I'm sure it was lucasarts QA'ing I doubt obsidian could catch everything. It remains to be seen if this is a widespeard ATI issue. May be something off with your specific system that LA just dropped the ball on.

I'm not blaming Obsidian for anything that isn't proven to be a widespread and constant issue that they just shouldn't have missed.

More than likely most issues are going to come down to poor QA. Which I doubt can be placed on Obsidian. Although I'm sure at the end it probably dwindled down to only a couple people working on the PC version. Hard to say if QA didn't catch it or LA just decided to sign off on a buggy candidate to get it on the shelves and patch it later. (hopefully)

Hello.

I do not have KOTOR II yet, but based on Darth Makaan's post I tried placing the Catalyst 4.11 atioglxx.dll file directly in the KOTOR I game directory. When doing this it appeared to resolve the major outdoor Dantooine slowdown seen on my Radeon 9550 (the system currently has the Catalyst 5.2 driver set installed).

Strangely enough I also found in KOTOR I with the Catalyst 5.2 driver that if I toggled "Frame Buffer Effects" off and on in the advanced graphics configuration the slowdown disappeared (although I saw video artifacts once) as well - but I had to repeat it every time I went through an area transition. Maybe this will have the same effect in KOTOR II.

Once I get KOTOR II I will try see if the above will have any effect on slowdown.

JC2112

Hello.

I do not have KOTOR II yet, but based on Darth Makaan's post I tried placing the Catalyst 4.11 atioglxx.dll file directly in the KOTOR I game directory.  When doing this it appeared to resolve the major outdoor Dantooine slowdown seen on my Radeon 9550 (the system currently has the Catalyst 5.2 driver set installed).

Strangely enough I also found in KOTOR I with the Catalyst 5.2 driver that if I toggled "Frame Buffer Effects" off and on in the advanced graphics configuration the slowdown disappeared (although I saw video artifacts once) as well - but I had to repeat it every time I went through an area transition.  Maybe this will have the same effect in KOTOR II.

Once I get KOTOR II I will try see if the above will have any effect on slowdown.

JC2112

Hmm... looks like I'm in almost the same situation as Mcklain with a high-end PC that still screws up. I was having great performance with the 5.2s until I got to Telos... the Frame Buffer Effect workaround does help, but it's such a pain to have to do it every time you transition from one tiny area to another.

This is sort of dumb, but I think I have the 4.11 drivers but can't exactly find them. I've got one driver set named "wxp-8-08-041110a-019199", which I assume is them, because it includes the relevant driver name in that incomprehensible string of numbers, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, does using the older OpenGL file cause any problems with other games? Thanks.

I'm putting this wherever I see someone with a ATI card was havnig the same problems I had and this is the fix I found that works so far.

I've got a fix for ATI users that should work(working for me so far) if your pc takes a dump when you get to Dantoonie.

In the swkotor.ini file, under graphics options add the line:

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

My fps was gone around the Khnooda area, I put in this line and the fps went back up. I slowly started turning stuff back on and it was still running fine. I've since turned all my settings back to the way I had them and the area is running great again.

I haven't had a chance yet to really run around and test it out(being hounded by friends on im) but its a good place to start and so far I can play Dantoonie again.  :cool:

Hope it helps. :cool:

Dragon