Won't run on an Intel 82865G (yeah, I know!)

I gave it a shot on my work machine to see what would happen. CTD right after character generation.

The only reason I'm posting is that KotOR 1 did run on an 82865G, and pretty well, actually.

Well, I'm off to plug this sucker into my gaming rig.

Sorry to resurect this topic, but I thought I will let people know that this game WORKS on a Intel 82865G motherboard. I've already finish the game and have only experienced two or three CTD's.

Using the on-board video?

What were your settings?

Did you actually said you tried it with the on-board video? You just stated that it didn't work on 82865G motherboard. So you probably should've been a little more specific on the specs.

And to answer you question. No, I played it using a nVidia 5700 card.

Did you actually said you tried it with the on-board video? You just stated that it didn't work on 82865G motherboard. So you probably should've been a little more specific on the specs.

Gosh ---- what possible relevance does a motherboard video chip have when you aren't using it? You seriously thought I was posting that having a bypassed video chip on the MB could crash KotOR 2? Edit: OK, the chip does a couple other things too. But still... I've never heard of anyone having problems with the chip unless they were using it as the graphics controller.

@Darth Ni: KotOR 1 ran quite well with the on-board video, actually. I was surprised. NWN runs too.

Gosh ---- what possible relevance does a motherboard video chip have when you aren't using it? You seriously thought I was posting that having a bypassed video chip on the MB could crash KotOR 2? Edit: OK, the chip does a couple other things too. But still... I've never heard of anyone having problems with the chip unless they were using it as the graphics controller.

@Darth Ni: KotOR 1 ran quite well with the on-board video, actually. I was surprised. NWN runs too.

Eh, sorry to say this, but what Intel calls Extreme 3D 2 is really complete garbage. Even their latest stuff in i915 is really awful. You should just go out and buy a Radeon 9600XT or a Geforce 6600GT (best way to go prolly). If you want cheapo choice, a Radeon 9550 or 9600 is far better than any Geforce FX 5x00 (save the VERY top models). eBay has good deals on Radeon 9700PRO. GFFX has terrible pixel shading performance compared to anything 9550 and up from ATI. A Radeon 9600 Pro can beat a GFFX 5950 Ultra in 3dmark05.

Sorry to resurect this topic, but I thought I will let people know that this game WORKS on a Intel 82865G motherboard. I've already finish the game and have only experienced two or three CTD's.

Using the on-board video?

What were your settings?

smartass.... trying to be funny.....

i am useing the 82865G onboard video and the game runs okay.

At first i thought it didn't because it always crashed after the intro, but i loaded a saved file that was 15 hours into the game and it worked so..... 82865 should work using the onboard vid

i am useing the 82865G onboard video and the game runs okay. 

At first i thought it didn't because it always crashed after the intro, but i loaded a saved file that was 15 hours into the game and it worked so..... 82865 should work using the onboard vid

Hmmm.... probably it's because of the weird video effect when T3's looking around.

So all you need to do is get past that.

You never mentioned on board video. Your vague post didn't include any other specs, except the model of the motherboard. It was clear that you were putting the blame on it.

Just read what you wrote in the topic: "Won't run on an Intel 82865G (yeah, I know!)"

You never mentioned on board video. Your vague post didn't include any other specs, except the model of the motherboard.  It was clear that you were putting the blame on it.

You should have stopped posting while you were still making sense. The 82865G isn't a motherboard model. It's a particular kind of on-board 3D graphics controller, used on several different motherboards.

I'll plead guilty to writing a vague post that opened the door for you to make a silly assumption. But just because I opened that door didn't mean that you had to walk through it.

Again, did you seriously think that someone posting about a graphics chip would blame the graphics chip if he wasn't using the graphics chip?

You never mentioned on board video. Your vague post didn't include any other specs, except the model of the motherboard.  It was clear that you were putting the blame on it.

You should have stopped posting while you were still making sense. The 82865G isn't a motherboard model. It's a particular kind of on-board 3D graphics controller, used on several different motherboards.

I'll plead guilty to writing a vague post that opened the door for you to make a silly assumption. But just because I opened that door didn't mean that you had to walk through it.

Again, did you seriously think that someone posting about a graphics chip would blame the graphics chip if he wasn't using the graphics chip?

Err...do I have time to take my foot out my mouth? :">

You're right. I got a confused between the motherboard model and the on-board controller. I gotta pay more attention. Sorry 'bout that.

Nevetheless, I stand on what I said about being a little more specific with the specs of the machine you tested it in. But, you already conceded that point.

Okay. I guess I better shut up and pay more attention. :ph34r: