The Influencing System...

...totally doesn't work. The concept was great. The potential was great. But it's implementation leaves a lot to be desired. When I first played the game, the Influence aspect of the game was one of the main things I wanted to see and experience.

And, I have to admit, it's kind of cool to be able to sway a character to see things your way. But the problem is, that never really happens. I mean, you can see an NPC's light/dark meter go up or down depending on how much influence you have with him or her. But, as was pointed out by someone else on these boards in another thread, their behavior doesn't match their alignment.

That's where the whole thing misses the mark, IMO.

For example, if you are able to get Handmaiden's alignment all the way down to the bottom and have max influence over her, she shouldn't still react the same exact way she would when she was lightside. This forces you to act out of character to keep your "sway" over her, or just leave her on the ship altogether.

This is just one example of how the game doesn't seem to live up to it's full potential and follow through on certain things. Perhaps if they had more time this would've put the game over the top.

...totally doesn't work.  The concept was great.  The potential was great.  But it's implementation leaves a lot to be desired.  When I first played the game, the Influence aspect of the game was one of the main things I wanted to see and experience.

And, I have to admit, it's kind of cool to be able to sway a character to see things your way.  But the problem is, that never really happens.  I mean, you can see an NPC's light/dark meter go up or down depending on how much influence you have with him or her.  But, as was pointed out by someone else on these boards in another thread, their behavior doesn't match their alignment.

That's where the whole thing misses the mark, IMO.

For example, if you are able to get Handmaiden's alignment all the way down to the bottom and have max influence over her, she shouldn't still react the same exact way she would when she was lightside.  This forces you to act out of character to keep your "sway" over her, or just leave her on the ship altogether.

This is just one example of how the game doesn't seem to live up to it's full potential and follow through on certain things.  Perhaps if they had more time this would've put the game over the top.

i think it was just too much work. obsidian would have had to create several different conversation trees for each character, depending on their alignment. given a bit more time, maybe they could have fixed this...

This infuence system is unfortunately static.  There are no dynamic changes in characters behavior, dependent on the alignment of conversion (with an ever so slight exception to Visas).

i read another topic concerning this and i don't think the influence system is flawed.

go find enderwiggin's topic about this; he made a few really good points.

i.e. it's not all black and white, there are subtle differences. a light side character that despise "thuggish" behaviour, will still despise thuggish behaviour even though they have falled to the dark side. look at palpatine; maxed out dark side, but not excactley a bully.

look at palpatine; maxed out dark side,  but not excactley a bully.

For some reason, I don't see Palps whining about Vader force choking this or that admiral.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

look at palpatine; maxed out dark side,  but not excactley a bully.

For some reason, I don't see Palps whining about Vader force choking this or that admiral.

depends, as senator/chancellor palpatine he surely would, but as the emperor he'd probably chuckle hysterically. it's all about pretending to be something you're not, in order to turn those around you to either the dark side or the light side...

it's all about pretending to be something you're not, in order to turn those around you to either the dark side or the light side...

That still doesn't justify the way the influence system works (or rather, the way it *doesn't* work). The NPCs don't have to pretend, because they don't need to sway anyone towards the light or dark side.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

it's all about pretending to be something you're not, in order to turn those around you to either the dark side or the light side...

That still doesn't justify the way the influence system works (or rather, the way it *doesn't* work). The NPCs don't have to pretend, because they don't need to sway anyone towards the light or dark side.

i was thinking of the pc; he/she has to pretend to influence npc's. at least that is how i think it is. i haven't played the game yet, so i can't really say if it is flawed or not. still, i think enderwiggin made a few really good points in this thread...

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...fluence+++bully