Things I Loved About KOTORII

Here are just a few of the many things I loved about KOTOR II:

- I loved all the quests that explored your NPC's motivations and history. Especially the one with...oh no, wait that was the last game. How about the one with...no can't remember that one now either. I'm sure they'll come to me eventually.

- I loved the influence system. Especially how cute it was that even after you got your NPC's alignment to be totally opposite of how they started out, they would still only react to actions according to their original alignment. Or especially that the only way to find out significant bits about your NPC's story or the game's plot required you to constantly act out-of-character. Wow, that is just genius game-building stuff.

- I loved the way the most interesting story exposition took place in the blurbs during the incessant loading screens. Or even better, how great was it that your character always knew the biggest plot points before you were actually informed of them or anyone else even suspected you knew! For example:

Exile: Atris, you've fallen to the dark side and I must destroy you.

Atris: What?! How could you possibly have known something I've only realized for myself just now?

Exile: Because I saw a cutscene at which I wasn't present between you and Kreia. And it's in my dialogue tree therefore it must be true.

Exile: Visas, even though Nihilus has yet to do a point of damage, your connection to both of us is obviously the key to destroying him. And no, I don't have time to tell you how I know your master's name even though no one ever told it to me.

Nihilus: SchuueeeeKrshhhhooooooBrruuuuuup!?

Visas: Yeah, how the heck did you figure that out?

Exile: Can't you see what's in my dialogue tree, blind woman? Do I have to put it in Braille for you?

Exile: Sion, even though the last time I saw you in a cutscene you were beating the crap out of Kreia like you were her big mac pimp daddy and she was your $2 ho, I know that she is actually still your master and that there's some kind of wookie dominatrix love thing going on between you as well.

Sion: That's impossible! I've never told that to anyone, not even to my own black (and admittedly always broken) heart.

Exile: Fool, clearly you don't know the power of my dialogue tree!

- And finally, I loved being held in anticipation for 50+ hours to learn the details of the catastrophic events that happened at Malachor V and how that leads to the fall of Revan, my exile from the order, and the creation of the Sith Lords with all the devastation that comes after. And at the end of all that waiting we were delivered the most delicious ambiguity which left our own imagination free to create whatever explanation our hearts desired. Oh, how I wanted to jump into the air in sheer joy at that point, preferably out of the highest window I could find.

There's so much more I could write, but unfortunately I have to get back to another run-through of the game. (That last line is actually true. God I hate myself.)

Or even better, how great was it that your character always knew the biggest plot points before you were actually informed of them or anyone else even suspected you knew! For example:

Atris: What?! How could you possibly have known something I've only realized for myself just now?

Exile: Because I saw a cutscene at which I wasn't present between you and Kreia. And it's in my dialogue tree therefore it must be true.

are you saying that we shouldnt be witness to any cutscenes that show events that the "pc" has no knowledge of yet? or are you just commenting on the dialogue trees not necessarily matching what we "know" yet?

- I loved the influence system. Especially how cute it was that even after you got your NPC's alignment to be totally opposite of how they started out, they would still only react to actions according to their original alignment. Or especially that the only way to find out significant bits about your NPC's story or the game's plot required you to constantly act out-of-character. Wow, that is just genius game-building stuff.

I love you.

are you saying that we shouldnt be witness to any cutscenes that show events that the "pc" has no knowledge of yet?  or are you just commenting on the dialogue trees not necessarily matching what we "know" yet?

I'm an old time BioWare fan and I've always loved their innovative cinematic technique of showing you scenes outside of your PC's knowledge. But this is the first game I ever played where your PC apparently became clairvoyant of those scenes. Maybe it's a force power they didn't tell us about? :geek:

Yes, I too have had a problem with the psycic ability of my PC, however my biggest love was the lack of "kung-pow" in the story. I was often looking around for any clue of how Darth Sion and Darth Traya hooked back up. I loved how it had me scatching my head and later had to ask other for the plot points.

Seriously, I got lost a lot during the story. I didn't understadn the Sion/Traya reunion. i didn't understand the Jedi Masters saying "Welcome Back" and then exileing me again!

Still a good game, and it takes a few play-throughs to get the full effect.

wow, what a witty and facetious way to bag on KOTOR2.

Along those lines, i really love posts of people who come on forum boards to express how they just don't get a game and how it must suck because of it. Posts like these make me all giddy inside and I look forward to them with fervent glee.

I'd be really sad if instead of posting their intelligent and well-thought out comments they just wandered off into traffic (or maybe just out of their parent's basement) and deprived the rest of the forum community of their rapier like wit and uproariously funny thoughts.

wow, what a witty and facetious way to bag on KOTOR2. 

Along those lines, i really love posts of people who come on forum boards to express how they just don't get a game and how it must suck because of it.  Posts like these make me all giddy inside and I look forward to them with fervent glee.

I'd be really sad if instead of posting their intelligent and well-thought out comments they just wandered off into traffic (or maybe just out of their parent's basement) and deprived the rest of the forum community of their rapier like wit and uproariously funny thoughts.

Thats nice that you would express you opinion on how other poeple shouldn't express there opinion unless it agrees with your opinion :(

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Here are just a few of the many things I loved about KOTOR II:

- I loved all the quests that explored your NPC's motivations and history. Especially the one with...oh no, wait that was the last game. How about the one with...no can't remember that one now either. I'm sure they'll come to me eventually.

- I loved the way the most interesting story exposition took place in the blurbs during the incessant loading screens. Or even better, how great was it that your character always knew the biggest plot points before you were actually informed of them or anyone else even suspected you knew! For example:

Exile: Visas, even though Nihilus has yet to do a point of damage, your connection to both of us is obviously the key to destroying him. And no, I don't have time to tell you how I know your master's name even though no one ever told it to me.

Exile: Can't you see what's in my dialogue tree, blind woman? Do I have to put it in Braille for you?

Exile: Sion, even though the last time I saw you in a cutscene you were beating the crap out of Kreia like you were her big mac pimp daddy and she was your $2 ho, I know that she is actually still your master and that there's some kind of wookie dominatrix love thing going on between you as well.

Sion: That's impossible! I've never told that to anyone, not even to my own black (and admittedly always broken) heart.

- And finally, I loved being held in anticipation for 50+ hours to learn the details of the catastrophic events that happened at Malachor V and how that leads to the fall of Revan, my exile from the order, and the creation of the Sith Lords with all the devastation that comes after. And at the end of all that waiting we were delivered the most delicious ambiguity which left our own imagination free to create whatever explanation our hearts desired. Oh, how I wanted to jump into the air in sheer joy at that point, preferably out of the highest window I could find.

There's so much more I could write, but unfortunately I have to get back to another run-through of the game. (That last line is actually true. God I hate myself.)

Sarcasm-o-meter.gif3Frink.gif

manthing2.jpg

Thats nice that you would express you opinion on how other poeple shouldn't express there opinion unless it agrees with your opinion :ermm:

Thanks for the support Laozi, and for protecting my free speech rights. :huh:

To everyone else I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone involved in the production of the game or any of its emotionally attached fans like me. My intent was only to poke a little fun at the shortcomings of what is generally a very good game in the hope those flaws do not appear in any sequels. I wish Obsidian continues development and that KOTORIII is a huge success for them, I'm certainly not hoping anyone gets hit by a car or anything like that. :(

Yeah the influence system doesn't really work if the alignments of the characters dont ever really change. As much fun as it was to have lightsider HK-47 he was still a bloodthirsty droid :huh: I liked the characters themselves alot better than the KOTOR crew though.

My favorite WTF moment from the KOTOR series is on Taris when you have the whole Sith Army occupying the planet looking for Bastilla and then you can have her running around in front of Sith patrols waving her Lightsaber around and they just stroll along. I suddenly lost all respect for the Dark Side :)

" I loved all the quests that explored your NPC's motivations and history. "

All the discussions with Kreia and the Jedi Masters pretty much covered that.

"I loved the influence system."

Pretty much the same as KOTOR.

" I loved the way the most interesting story exposition took place in the blurbs during the incessant loading screens."

Same as Kotor.

"Exile: Atris, you've fallen to the dark side and I must destroy you.

Exile: Because I saw a cutscene at which I wasn't present between you and Kreia. And it's in my dialogue tree therefore it must be true."

The main character is incapable of sensing the Dark Side when he/she has already left Revan for that very reason??

"Exile: Visas, even though Nihilus has yet to do a point of damage, your connection to both of us is obviously the key to destroying him. And no, I don't have time to tell you how I know your master's name even though no one ever told it to me.

Exile: Can't you see what's in my dialogue tree, blind woman? Do I have to put it in Braille for you?"

Killed Nihilus multiple times without doing anything to Visas. But in any event Kreia knows who Nihilus is, so obviously she could have told the Exile at some point. What's your problem?

"Exile: Sion, even though the last time I saw you in a cutscene you were beating the crap out of Kreia like you were her big mac pimp daddy and she was your $2 ho, I know that she is actually still your master and that there's some kind of wookie dominatrix love thing going on between you as well.

Exile: Fool, clearly you don't know the power of my dialogue tree!"

Fool, clearly, you don't understand the power the Force can have over the mind which is exactly how she controlled Sion. Of course he explained that when you fight him on Malachor if you were paying attention.

"- And finally, I loved being held in anticipation for 50+ hours to learn the details of the catastrophic events that happened at Malachor V and how that leads to the fall of Revan, my exile from the order, and the creation of the Sith Lords with all the devastation that comes after. And at the end of all that waiting we were delivered the most delicious ambiguity which left our own imagination free to create whatever explanation our hearts desired. Oh, how I wanted to jump into the air in sheer joy at that point, preferably out of the highest window I could find."

Revan fell long before Malachor. Those events are chronicled on the TSL website. The Jedi Masters explain the Exile's being kicked out of th order. The creation of the Sith Lords was explained by Kreia. The ending was meant to be a jump off point for III. Which part of this don't you understand? Yeah, maybe you should find that high window and jump out. Make sure you leave a note.

"There's so much more I could write, but unfortunately I have to get back to another run-through of the game. "

You think you're simply offering an opinion here? You're not. What you're doing is called trolling in case you don't already know that it is ie. simply wanting to argue, be a PITA. Is this the "I hate KOTOR II thread"? No, it's not.

What I don't understand is why those of you who are so against this game insist on lingering in this forum instead of the BioWare forum where you could perpetually discuss the romance betwen Carth and Revan or whatever, and we wouldn't always have to listen to a bunch of bitching and moaning.

What I don't understand is why those of you who are so against this game insist on lingering in this forum instead of the BioWare forum where you could perpetually discuss the romance betwen Carth and Revan or whatever, and we wouldn't always have to listen to a bunch of bitching and moaning.

Talk about whining you are the queen of the craft.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

" I loved all the quests that explored your NPC's motivations and history. "

All the discussions with Kreia and the Jedi Masters pretty much covered that.

Yes, but I think quests are always more fun than reading text. I could always go read a book if I wanted that. And I'm not saying I want to meet Carth and his son ever again, but it was a fun surprise the first time.

"I loved the influence system."

Pretty much the same as KOTOR.

This one I just don't get, there was no influence in KOTOR that I recall.

" I loved the way the most interesting story exposition took place in the blurbs during the incessant loading screens."

Same as Kotor.

True, but how does that excuse it? Plus, I never needed the blurbs in KOTOR to find out the names of key characters nor understand what was going on in the story.

"Exile: Atris, you've fallen to the dark side and I must destroy you.

The main character is incapable of sensing the Dark Side when he/she has already left Revan for that very reason??

I would hope he/she is capable. But then why wasn't it noticed the first time? I mean all I'm asking for is give me one second of time in Atris's presence where I'm not stuck in combat or dialogue to use force sight to see for myself. Is that too much to ask?

"Exile: Visas, even though Nihilus has yet to do a point of damage, your connection to both of us is obviously the key to destroying him. And no, I don't have time to tell you how I know your master's name even though no one ever told it to me.

Killed Nihilus multiple times without doing anything to Visas. But in any event Kreia knows who Nihilus is, so obviously she could have told the Exile at some point.  What's your problem?

Of course she could have. My problem is that the developers thought this was yet another interesting exchange best left to the imagination of the player.

"Exile: Sion, even though the last time I saw you in a cutscene you were beating the crap out of Kreia like you were her big mac pimp daddy and she was your $2 ho, I know that she is actually still your master and that there's some kind of wookie dominatrix love thing going on between you as well.

Fool, clearly, you don't understand the power the Force can have over the mind which is exactly how she controlled Sion. Of course he explained that when you fight him on Malachor if you were paying attention.

Um, no. You explain it to him, which is my issue. That you know everything before he even says it. It may be just a small timing issue for some, when exactly in a conversation certain options become available. But it's a big issue for me. C'est la vie.