What era do most of your favorite titles come from

Zach Morris

Where are most of your favorites from?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Where are most of your favorites from?

• 4bit. Atari or (intellivision, calecovision etc.)
    • 8bit. The original NES (Sega Master System, Gameboy)
    • 16bit. SNES (Sega Genesis, Gameboy Advance etc.
    • 32bit. Playstation (Sega Saturn etc.)
    • 64bit. Nintendo 64 (Nintendo DS, Jaguar)
    • 128^. Gamecube (PS2, XBOX)
    • Current PC hardware (like last 6 months)
    • Other. Explain.

Although the cleverness of the logarithmic, I dont like this poll one damn bit. Where's Commodore? Amiga? You dont even mention the haydays of early PC gaming that are so dear to me

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Although the cleverness of the logarithmic, I dont like this poll one damn bit. Where's Commodore? Amiga? You dont even mention the haydays of early PC gaming that are so dear to me

The Commodore and Amiga would fall under the 8bit section. As for PC you would just have to estimate by what year it came out.

97-2000

During these four years, pretty much all my favorite games came out:

Fallout

Total Annihilation

Baldur's Gate

Planescape: Torment

Half-life

Thief

System Shock 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Tribes

Grim Fandango

Deus Ex

Homeworld

97-2000

During these four years,  pretty much all my favorite games came out:

Same.

At least for the years. Some of the titles I wouldn't agree with.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Early to late 80'es (1983-1989) or Commodore 64/Amiga 500/Amiga 4000.

Which gives 8/16/32 bit

Although things started to change with the Amiga, before that, gameplay was usually the selling point of a game. Sound and gfx was there to support the gameplay, not the other way around.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I had to vote 8-bit, even though the poll failed to mention one of the biggest computer phenomenons ever: the Commodore 64.

Wasteland, Pool of Radiance, Wizball, Guild of Thieves, Mean Streets, Ikari Warriors, Sanxion, Delta, Turrican I&II, The Pawn, all Infocom adventures, Maniac Mansion, Impossible Mission, Questron 2, Mars Saga, Ultima I-V, S.E.U.C.K., Elite, Arkanoid, Mercenary, Morpheus, Fire Lord, Dragon Age, and so on. Those were some really good years for gaming (1987-1991)..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh, nostalgia.....

Dandy: Mario, Desert/Urban/Jungle Strike, Mortal Combat......

SEga: Dune 2 , Zero Tolerance, Sonic, Rock'n'Roll Racing and more......

But still, PC rules! ^_^

StarCraft, Baldur's Gate, Torment, Fallout, WarCraft, Deus Ex, IWD, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, and more......

Probably PS1 which was my first console (though gameboy original should by rights be a close second)

Metal Gear Solid

Syphon Filter (allowed me to take out any frustrations from MGS)

FF7

FF8(ish)

Fallout & BG on PC

Resident Evil 1&2 (rest were ****!)

Quite a few funky racers (rollcage etc.)

Early 90's and late 90's were both very good. I think I have to go with early 90's because adventure games. Amiga was slowly fading away and PC was the no. 1 system for the hardcore gamers. Great games in many different genres.

Wing Commander

Gold Box games

Sim City

Lemmings

Populous

Many Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games

Civilization

Star Control II

Ultima Underworld

Doom

For just CRPGs, late 90's was really awesome. I don't think we'll ever see that kind of boom. Unfortunately adventure games died about same time as CRPGs revived. It's interesting to see what will happen to CRPGs in next few years. Although some still try and IMO make good CRPG, next generation budgets are so high, that CRPGs might die.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Commadore 64 era for sure!

Massive amount of games that were fun to play.

Computer games have never matched the shear amount of fun titles since then :)

Ya, I remember the first time I got drunk :">

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I had to vote 8-bit, even though the poll failed to mention one of the biggest computer phenomenons ever: the Commodore 64.

The Commodore 64 was lame!!! >_

ZX Spectrum forever! :)

As for the poll I voted other, as in 1983-2005. I loved many great games from many different years.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The SSI era although I wasnt that old at the time and not many of my friends understood the games.

I'm not really a big fan of nostalgia.

The original Pirates was also very good. But the new version just dosnt do it. Just goes to prove the old adage you can never go back :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, since N64 was my first console it will have to be the 64-bit period. Some of my favorite games were:

Goldeneye (Best 3d console multiplayer game ever?)

Perfect Dark (In many ways a better game than Goldeneye.)

Donkey Kong 64 (Remember the intro?)

Super Mario 64 (Best 3d platform game ever, no doubt.)

Banjo Kazooie

Turok

Diddy Kong Racing

Mario Kart (Another contestant for best console multiplayer game ever.)

Conker's bad fur day

Ocarina of Time (Probably the game that has won the most "best game ever" awards.)

Zelda: Majora's mask

Mario Tennis

Metal Gear Solid for the playstation was pretty awesome too.

Started 1986 with a Commodore 64. My favorite back then were

International Karate / IK+, The Last Ninja, Fist II, Barbarian 1+2, California Games, World Games, Winter Games, Labyrinth, Maniac Mansion, Zak Mckracken, BC's Quest for Tires I+II, Beach Head II, Blue Max, Boulder Dash, Bubble Bobble, Defender of the crown, Dino Eggs, Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe, Great Giana Sisters, Impossible Mission I+II, Little Computer People, Mr. Do's Castle, Park Patrol, Paradroid, Pitfall II, Spy vs. Spy II+III, Test Drive I+II and Wizball

Between 1989 - 1995 Ive got an Amiga 500/1200/CD32, there were also a lot of games I liked:

APB, Another World (Out of this World), Bar Games, Batman: The Movie, Battle Chess, Battle Squadron, Beach Volley, Beneath a Steel Sky, Bermuda Project, Biing!: Sex, Intrigue and Scalpels, Bio Challenge, Bobo, Bombuzal, Buck Rogers, Captain Blood, Chambers of Shaolin, Champions of Krynn, Dune 1+2, Dungeon Master, Frontier: Elite 2, Future Wars, Gobliiins I+II+III, Grand Monster Slam, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure, It Came from the Desert, James Pond 2: Codename: RoboCod, Loom, Lure of the Temptress, Mad TV, Menace, Mega lo Mania, Millenium 2.2, Monkey Island 1+2, Ooze: Creepy Nites, Pac-Mania, Panza Kick Boxing, Paradroid 90, Pinball Dreams + Pinball Fantasies + Pinball Illusions, Populous, Ports of Call, Rockstar Ate My Hamster, Sensible Soccer, Shadow of the Beast, SimCity, Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon, Space Quest II: Chapter II: Vohaul's Revenge, Speedball, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, Wings and X-COM: UFO Defense. >_<

Between 95-Now, I got my PC and I got my first job and so on, well not much time anymore for playing but I still remind and highlight.

Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, Monkey Island 3, C&C, Legends of Kyrandia 2+3, Command & Conquer, Fallout 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Unreal Tournament, Grim Fandango, Leisure Suit Larry 7, Baldurs Gate 2, Blade Runner and Kotor.

Okay that was enough, I think. :lol:

People REALLY need to stop giving into nostalgia. Frank Herbert was wrong, fear isn't the mind-killer. Nostalgia is.

Commadore 64 era for sure!

Massive amount of games that were fun to play.

Computer games have never matched the shear amount of fun titles since then

Yeah! Games with less gameplay dynamic than Eye of the Beholder or King's Quest were AWESOME! I mean... you could negotiate simplistic dungeons with simplistic puzzles, and if you encountered simplistic creatures you could employ simplistic combat to kill them!

Games have gotten better over time. I played Wing Commander II the other day (oldest game I could get to run), then played Wing Commander IV. Guess what. It got better. Mech Warrior I managed to get working, then played Mech Warrior IV, it got better.

I owned a Commodore 64, and one day a few years ago I tried to go back and play them. It didn't last long because those games don't hold a candle to the new games. I would rather play PoRII than anything on the Commodore 64. Games seem to be like wine to some people, they get better with age. If only that were true.

P.S. My answer was other, because I like good games... no era. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Splinter Cell, Street Fighter.

@Shadowstrider

Your explanation is too simple to me for two reasons:

Reason 1) You said games has advance over the time, and this is true in terms of graphic, music and complexity. But this is not the why a game was fun or not. In this case movies have also advance cause of cgi. The kids from my brother love to play Bubble Bobble on a C64 Emulator, while they also have fun playing the latest Age of Empires.

Reason 2) You completely blank out the emotional link. In 5 years most teen/kids wouldnt touch a Fallout, a Baldurs Gate or a Kotor either. But I think in 5 years you probable will replay a Fallout cause you remember it were good and you like it even its far behind the standards of a game in 2010.