Is KOTOR in your top 10?

Zach Morris

Is KOTOR in your top 10?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is KOTOR in your top 10?

• Yes.
    • No.

No way. I had fun with KOTOR, but it's nowhere near my top10. Besides I've always thought that most of KOTOR's fun factor was derived from the setting rather than the game itself.

This is a post of mine with 15 of my favourite games:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...77entry116377

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1-ootp baseball

2-sega genesis hockey series

3-madden football series

4-nba live series

5-neverwinter night (the whole package, including expansions & user created modules)

6-kotor1

7-kotor2

8-fallout2

9-fallout1

10-baldurs gate 1

btw, i didnt specify which version of those series because a)i cant remember which years versions i enjoyed most and b)most were too similar to even differentiate.

Yes I'd rate KOTOR in my top 10.

In no specific order: My Top 5

System Shock 2 :p

Deus Ex

Fallout

Planescape: Torment

Thief II: The Metal Age

SS2 though, ever since I first played it... till today... maybe not the best game ever, but it is my Favourite. Never before or since has a game gripped me... and not let go until the end.

When I killed that monster, the metal-mother, the self-proclaimed digital godless Goddess called SHODAN -- Was I finally freed from that unholy alliance. It was truly awesome. :lol:

Not for me. KOTOR was a fun game, but it wasnt spectacular. Storywise it was mediocre, NPC interaction was fun, but rather bland. Gameplay wise, it suffered from overpowered items and munchkin fast level upping and seriously unbalanced gameplay - really, after you got force powers the game became so very easy.

Overall : Yes

1) Neverwinter Nights (Original on AOL 15 years ago), 1st MMORPG made (Biowares NWN would probably come in around 30th - 40th spot on my list).

2) Civilization 3 (with both expansions)

3) KotOR2

4) KotOR1

5) ANY SSI Gold Box game (AD&D RPGS)

6) Original Might and Magic

7) World Games (old game for C64 and Apple 2e computers)

:lol: Rollercoaster Tycoon (with expansions)

9) Civ 2 Test of Time

10) Heros of Might and Magic (2 or 3)

Ive played probably around 300-400 games over all the years but those 10 definately lead their respective feilds/genres for me.

Kotor 1 was a fine game, but I don't know if I will like Kotor 2 as much. I read a recent article at ign.com which was saying that the PC version was VERY buggy (even more than the XBox version). I hope I won't be disappointed... :lol:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Kotor 1 was a fine game, but I don't know if I will like Kotor 2 as much. I read a recent article at ign.com which was saying that the PC version was VERY buggy (even more than the XBox version). I hope I won't be disappointed... :lol:

Well, I don't know if this an another example of bias towards older games, or the fact that people played the game after a few months of its release, but KOTOR 1 had a few serious bugs when it came to the PC - bugs that made the game quite unplayable, untill they patched it.

It seems people just don't want to use the same standards for the game.

Indeed it did. My KOTOR II should be arriving in a couple of days. Renting ceased to be an option when I "found out" about the suprise trip for valentines week. Good job or I would have ended up paying more in late fee's than the cost of the game.

Standards change over time but it's quite common for reviewers to gloss over the faults in games they like and draw attention to faults in games they dont.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't think I've played enough games to make a top 10 list since I missed out on the past two console generations. There are probably some gems in there that would blow me away though. Like Ninja Gaiden...I want play that game so much.

But for sheer enjoyment experienced I'd say in no particular order,

Soul Calibur 1 & 2 (In the arcades)

Starcraft : I've played some memorable B-net games.

Baldur's Gate. First game to introduce me to D&D or AD&D at the time

Dark Forces 2 : Jedi Knight : The later Jedi Knight games can't compare.

Planescape: Torment : This transcended a mere game in my opinion though I'm sure others strongly disagree.

Super Mario 64 : I borrowed a N64 from my cousin and since I had missed the Super nintendo Mario games I was totally blown away by the new format. I played this game for hours and still play when I'm over at my cousin's house. There's just something about it.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 6-9 : You have to be Asian and have read the books to truly appreciate the history and characters in the game. Each game is basically the same with incremental improvements but something draws me back to them time and time again.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I never was able to finish the original PoP 1&2. This game is incredible and I think the combat was much more fluid and graceful than Warrior Within.

Contra 3 The Alien Wars : What you're fighting an awesome flying robot/jetplane and you have to jump from missile from missile hundreds of feet in the air to avoid its attacks? COOOL

Mega Man 2 : I love this game! Especially the battle against Quickman. I always beat him with the Crashbombs instead of the Flash Beam. Takes some timing and luck. One time I beat Leafman in one single charged up hit, but I forgot how.

I think I'll stop now....games just keep popping into my head.

KotOR holds a special place in my hear too.

I loved KoTOR, it just fit me like a glove.

my own personal great PC games list would probably look like this(somewhat chronologic)

Alone in the Dark

Sim City

Maniac mansion 2: day of the tentacle

DooM

Sam n' Max hit the road

Beneath a steel sky

Neverwinter Nights

Arcanum

Planescape Torment

Baldurs Gate 2+ToB

KoTOR

but my memory is selective

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My top 10 as of Feb. 7th, 2005

1. Goldeneye. N64

2. Contra 3: The Alien Wars. SNES

3. Super Smash Bros. N64

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee. GAMECUBE

5. Command and Conquer Series. PC

6. Final Fantasy 3 (really 6 though). SNES

7. Chrono Trigger. SNES

8. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. SNES

9. Madden Series. CONSOLES

10. Earthbound. SNES

I guess SNES is the overall winner for me. <Sigh> Goodtimes :-

My top ten would probably be something along the lines of this: (in the order I thought of them)

Dark Reign - I'm still trying to find another copy of this game. The ending wasn't great but the rest of the game was great fun. Shredders were an awesome concept and nothing beat's hearing the Freedom Guard Martyr's shouting "FOR THE CAUSE!" right before they blow up. ;) Everytime I bid on a copy on eBay I get outbid at the last second.

Civilization 2: Test of Time - I never got the original Civ2 but I had played it at my uncle's house and as soon as I got home I made my parents take me out to the store to buy a copy but could only find Test of Time so I bought that. Winner of the most played game in my collection.

Command and Conquer Red Alert + Counterstrike and Aftermath - This was my first real computer game beyond Commander Keen. I remember playing this for day's on end in a competition with my dad to see who could make it to the end of the game first. I got my very first computer from my dad so that I could play this game without hogging the computer all day because at the time we only had the one computer and four people that wanted to use it.

Empire Deluxe - Great war game. A lot of fun to play. I think this would have to be runner up for most played game but definatly tops the list for most fun game. The best way to play is with ohter people. I used to play hotseat games of this with my dad who would almost always beat me but nevertheless we had great fun. Games could literally go on for days on the larger maps. It was fun hunting battleships with submarines. :p

Baldurs Gate - The original game was my first every RPG experience. Before that I had heard stories from one of my cousins who is now in her 30's and still play's D&D. I remember the person at the EB tried to get my to buy a Final Fantasy game instead of Baldur's Gate but I said no for some reason I can't recall right now but it was probably because I had already made a decision. Nearly bought Planescape: Torment instead of Baldur's Gate but I decided against that becasue I hated the box art. This was all before I started going on the internet.

Okay this is only top 5 but it's all I'm willing to write right now so you'll have to settle for top 5 instead. Kotor would not be in the other half of the top ten.

Is KotOR in your top 10 ?

No, it's not.

I really like KotOR, but I've played many great games since the early 80's. Top ten list is very hard to reach. KotOR is in my top ten games of 2003 list :)

GTA - Vice City

Freedom Force

KotOR

Splinter Cell

Arx Fatalis

So, I bought only 5 games 2003... oh crap, I have to buy all sequels this year. GTA - San Andreas, Freedom Force vs. Third Reich, KotOR II, Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory, Arx Fatalis II (not sure if this will make it 2005).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

yep.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Kotor was a fun game and I never really regreted buying it, but it's story was too predictable, especially if you played, or rather endured, NwN before, as Kotor's plot was a carbon copy of NwN's. Even without this knowledge they used too much foreshadowing. By the time I reached Dantooine I had a definite suspicion who my character was and some NPCs were really annoying.

But the locations were great, especially the water world and the sith planet. Plus, Bioware made it possible to play an evil character which was not really possible in their earlier games even if you could only play a thug.

I am REALLY curious about Kotor 2. I expect some flaws due to the short development cycle but it should hint if MCA was an one-hit-wonder or not.