Skills in KOTOR2

I did a forum search but couldn't seem to find much useful on this topic. I apologize if this has been discussed before and replies are buried deep in the archives.

Skills were widely acknowledged as being pretty much unnecessary for the main character in KOTOR 1. That isn't to say that there weren't skills that presented opportunities, but one could get by without skills quite easily. The skills had dubious value in fact: computer skill could save money on computer spikes, but it wasn't like I was ever much short on cash in KOTOR. Droid repair was fairly worthless as the better characters were all Jedi rather than droids, and repairing security droids to fight for you was unnecessary as well as possibly taking away experience from fighting enemies that the character otherwise could have had. Demolitions was basically a money skill also -- salvaging mines could earn you a few credits, but again this was largely unnecessary, and even running through mine fields rarely caused singificant injury. A few points in Persuade, maybe a few points of aware, and you were set to go.

KOTOR II has a different setup, where all classes have the same BAB, making the classes that offer more skill points more attractive as this does not come at the cost of worse attacks. The question however is whether this is useful or necessary. I understand that with a high INT and repair skill, you can dissassemble items for parts, but is this something that is really essential, or can it be handled as well by letting one of the NPCs do it and putting your jedi's attribute points into areas that improve combat or force abilities?

Which skills do you consider essential, which are good, and which are of little value? Also how high do you like your characters INT to be? I always lowballed INT in KOTORI (:thumbsup:, and would appreciate your input on whether the skill setup in K2 is sufficiently improved to merit the investment of attribute points to benefit skills.

Would appreciate your input.

computer, demolitions, persuade, repair...(max out)

you need good stats in computer and repair to fully upgrade T3, and get the nice stats bonus in wisdom for yourself.

saving computer spikes is very useful for longer missions where you can run out. high repair means you get the most components.

computer, demo, repair are necessary for some of the nicest upgrade items in the game...

demo is important to get mines to be made into implants or stims, or turned into components...also, always keep a few handy for opening damaged containers.

you only need 6 total rank points in security at difficult setting to open 99.9% of the doors and containers in the game.

stealth is not very important, as an npc will always have it when you need it.

treat injury is not very important until you've maxed out the four above. heal powers for lightside and drain life for dark means you rarely need it...

:thumbsup:

oh yeah...don't go above 30 for any skill...20 on a tight budget...

i have int 18, which is great for critical hit mod, certain dialog options open up all the time, and enough skillpoints for my consular/weapon master.

Just build a Sentinel with 14 Intelligence, and you'll have more skills than you'll know what to do with.  ^_^

except i never ever liked sentinel...prefer guardian or consular...

consular weapon master will be incredibly powerful... :devil:

I don't usually fight with everyone so a Consular/Jedi Master would be nice. Howewver, when I do fight, I set my PC to Jedi/Droid support while I use my Sentinel and Guardian to actual combat.

>computer, demolitions, persuade, repair...(max out)

Besides persuade, which of these can ONLY the Exile use? I've read that you need repair as only the Exile's skills is used for making/breaking down things, but that you can use the demolitions, computer, treat injury skills of others in your party just as well as you main character...correct? Several of the NPCs are or can be jedi sentinel, so I would like to rely on them for some of the minor skills.

I am planning on a sentinel/weapon master with a 10 INT, so I'll have points for repair & persuade & 1 other, but when I transition to the prestige class, I will only get 1 skill point per level.

As a side question, can weapon masters get lightsaber specialization, or is this restricted to jedi guardians only?

>computer, demolitions, persuade, repair...(max out)

Besides persuade, which of these can ONLY the Exile use?  I've read that you need repair as only the Exile's skills is used for making/breaking down things, but that you can use the demolitions, computer, treat injury skills of others in your party just as well as you main character...correct?  Several of the NPCs are or can be jedi sentinel, so I would like to rely on them for some of the minor skills.

I am planning on a sentinel/weapon master with a 10 INT, so I'll have points for repair & persuade & 1 other, but when I transition to the prestige class, I will only get 1 skill point per level.

As a side question, can weapon masters get lightsaber specialization, or is this restricted to jedi guardians only?

Perhaps you should start your search here my friend. You need not worry about spoilers on the site either. Do not click where it says WALKTHROUGH and you will be fine.

the exile's scores are used to fix t3m4 to fully upgrade him...

also, the exiles scores are used to repair the robot in pazaak den nar shadda

also the exile's scores are used to sabotage the robot in nar shadda...

awareness, 4-6 points is good to get extra dialog options for certain quests...

the exile's scores are used to fix the landspeeder...

see? lots of times, you need skills yourself... :-

What in Gods name would you want a Sentinel with 10 INT!!!! Sentinel main advantage is skills you know! If you are gonna use a sentinel at least put it at 12 or ideally 14 INT....

• 7 years later...

What in Gods name would you want a Sentinel with 10 INT!!!! Sentinel main advantage is skills you know! If you are gonna use a sentinel at least put it at 12 or ideally 14 INT....

Well, as the bonus from being a Sentinel and the bonus from having INT don't multiply together, it's not necessary to do both. The point of being a Sentinel and the point of having INT are almost the same. Maybe he's not a retard, and knows that he doesn't need 400 stat points. After all, most skills can be used by most other party members most of the time. I focus on the skills I can't use other people for, and maybe the ones that I occasionally am alone for, and leave the rest to, say, other Sentinels.