Non RPG PnP

Aidan Kun

My friends and I have always made stick figure comics since sixth grade. Wed have fun making up missions and parodies and crap, but one day, my friends made up a simple strategy game that had no rules, just stick figures killin eachother with guns and grenades. I thought it was pretty cool, so I expanded on the idea, making a sorta turn based strategy game with alot of wierd quirks. Weve been playing it for 2 years since 7th grade.

Basically, wed design realalistic, side-scroll-ish maps in pen, mostly symetrical, and then wed make starting points and start with 3 men each in pencil. An infantryman, with a pistol that could only shoot up to 5 inches, and 2 grenades, a gunner, with a machine gun that could shoot 2 times in one turn up to 3 inches, with 1 grenade, and a sniper, who could shoot over the whole map, and through one surface. Snipers are powerful, so its limit 1 at all times for each team.

Besides that, its get shot, get killed, get a new man every 2 turns. All the men are stick figures, distinguishable by their gun, and they could move a reasonable distance in one turn. add an objective like plant a bomb with a timer of 2 turns, and you have a fun game. It passes time in school, and its very fun, due to its mostly pointless nature.

The game design is very flexible, so its easy to make up different rules all the time and experiment. Sometimes, we add medic units, sometimes, we add dual wielding (basically 2 type of soiders in 1), sometimes, we add body shields (Dead bodies wouldnt be erased and could be used as shields for 1 extra hit. Its all up to whoever makes the game.

hah .. oh I remember those times were I would draw like a thousand stickmen during a week with a buddy from school (would completly fill an A3 page in a day).. never took it that far though! :devil: played alot of 3d .. hmm .. called "crosses and cirkels X/O" in danish ... three in a row ..

anyway .. it actually sounds quite fun that game of yours! :D

Fortune favors the bald.

You remind me of that kid Finny in A Seperate Peace with your games and what not. Watch your back, one of your friends may try to kill you

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

hah .. oh I remember those times were I would draw like a thousand stickmen during a week with a buddy from school (would completly fill an A3 page in a day).. never took it that far though!  :devil: played alot of 3d .. hmm .. called "crosses and cirkels X/O" in danish ... three in a row ..

anyway .. it actually sounds quite fun that game of yours!  :D

Lol, the first thing that came to my mind when reading the topic title was: He must be referring to Tic-Tac-Toe, as I think its called...

yes .. tic-tac-toe (did a search) .. our name makes more sense! :)

"Kryds (cross) og Bolle (bun or circle)" where 'bolle' also means to f*** .. so that adds an extra dimension to the game .. hehe

Fortune favors the bald.

My little brother and I came up a PnP racing game once we were bored, sitting on the back seat on a long trip.

It was basically a drawn, slightly random race track on an A4 paper (with squares)

Players would start with a "dot" (their racing car) at the start line and a "vector" of 1 in the track direction (it represented direction and speed of the "car"). For every player "turn" we could then modify that vector with +/- one in each direction when continued from the dot where it currently was e.g. turn 1 would be 1,0 (speed 1) next turn 3,0 (speed 2), next turn 6,1 (speed 3 in one direction, -1 in the other direction) when heading towards the first curve.

Trick is to guess, what will the optimum speed to race through a curve be. Mind you, if you are going to hit the barrier with speed 10 or so, you'll crash and burn. so you have to slow down and manage a decent speed through curves before you can speed up and move a lot of squares again on the straight parts.

Fun way to pass the time instead of constantly bugging our parents with "Are we there yet?"

Only downside was, they didn't really appriciate the sound fx we provided the game with :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Admit it Gorth, you're playing it right now.  ^_^

Nah, it was in another time and another place, the age before handhelds and PDA's. Today I prefer Carmageddon or when travelling, to read a book :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein