Second part of Damien "Puuk" Foletto interview

Gorth

For those who doesn't hang around on fan sites all day to gather all the tidbits about old unreleased BIS games, life at various developers, Monthy Python, Life as a designer in the VG industry. And a lot more. The guy really talks a lot... :thumbsup:

Second part of interview (first part was posted early January)

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/modu...showpage&pid=47

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Go Puuk. It would be cool if Obsidian could get all successful and get back all the old BIS guys, but I'm glad he's happy where he is. Doesn't sound like he'd want to move back to Caleefornia if he was given the opportunity.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

BG3 sounds really good. FO3 sounded like it be fun; but not great. It didn't seem to be bringing anything "new"..

"Somehow, I doubt we'll be able to say the same for their upcoming incarnations."

I have no hope for Bethesda's FO3 as all Bethesda games suck by default.

BG3 as hope depending on the dveloper. Hoepfully (wishful thinking) BIo; and if not them Obsidian. Hey, might as well go for the hat trick. :-

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Black Hound aka "Jefferson" aka "BG3" sounded really good.

Van Buren could have been a decent follow-up to Fallout2...

We will never know what might have been.

These days feel like the return of the dark age...

*que ::melancholy voice:: "Where, oh where wilt thou hide, ye RPG of olde --where?"

at least we have FO and PST.

*sob* Noooooo.... Why are you dead, Jeffy? *sob* :thumbsup:

After reading that interview, I want that game even more than before! Damn Atari for not wanting to ressurect the project and damn Interplay for not wanting to sell the project.

*jumps out of the window" AHHHHHHH...

PS: I live on the ground floor

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Needless to say that I added all the relevant info in my Jefferson folder... :thumbsup:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Holy crap.

I've always been in the camp saying BG3 was a bad idea, regardless of whether it was related to the original series....but that description of Jefferson sounds damn good. Particularly the idea of it having an 8th level cap and branching out into a trilogy, like the original (well, being very loose with the 'trilogy' part.)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Jefferson has a kind of immortality. Everyone creates their own game based around those few short insights.Post NwN I dont expect 8 levels would have been widely accepted. Of course with an evocative opening like that the game cant really fail as an immagination exercise.<insert whistful smiley>

FO3 didnt sound all that great. The story was a bit of a mish mash of elements from several well known or lesser known movies. The whole total freedom thing sounded a bit far fetched too. Nice theory but the practicalities I seriously doubt.

Looking forward to playing XMLII though. First one was good if a little rough around the edges and they really need to sort out the story mode (said that over there already though :- )

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

some interesting stuff in that interview.  i especially agree with his views on what crpgs need to implement more of, mainly your actions having real consequences with both people and towns/cities/places you visit.

Yeah, and this is also the reason why MMORPG's will never work. One particular quest in World of Warcraft reminded me of this, because it was about helping this poor girl escape from her childhood home and abusive father. I secretly helped the girl and sent her on her way with her boyfriend. Then I go back to the house and she has spawned there again and is asking some other player for help.. Gee, that really helps my game immersion.. NOT! Seeing quests respawn like that makes everything you do in the game feel meaningless.

I prefer single player RPG's.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One particular quest in World of Warcraft reminded me of this, because it was about helping this poor girl escape from her childhood home and abusive father. I secretly helped the girl and sent her on her way with her boyfriend. Then I go back to the house and she has spawned there again and is asking some other player for help..

maybe deep down she liked the abuse. ;)

Yeah, and this is also the reason why MMORPG's will never work. One particular quest in World of Warcraft reminded me of this, because it was about helping this poor girl escape from her childhood home and abusive father. I secretly helped the girl and sent her on her way with her boyfriend. Then I go back to the house and she has spawned there again and is asking some other player for help.. Gee, that really helps my game immersion.. NOT! Seeing quests respawn like that makes everything you do in the game feel meaningless.

MMORPGs work if your primary interest in RPGs is the character stats and the monster killing. Those things fall pretty low on my priorities list, so I've never lasted long on any of them.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I remember doing the Deputy Tagil quest 100 or so times in EQ before they fixed the XP bug and wondering just how he managed to run up his tab so fast while appearing to not move. Not likely that MMPORGs will find a solution to this unless some big leaps in technology happen. I think M59 was the only game where I saw a lot of roleplaying, mainly because it was very easy to max out a character so everyone had more time to just hang out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]